Plus 1 in your pistol - Page 9

Plus 1 in your pistol

This is a discussion on Plus 1 in your pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I carry a Springfield XDS mod.2 9mm and always load the mag ,chamber a rd. ,then top up the mag.I have a 7,8,and 9 rd ...

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree403Likes

Thread: Plus 1 in your pistol

I carry a Springfield XDS mod.2 9mm and always load the mag ,chamber a rd. ,then top up the mag.I have a 7,8,and 9 rd mag. and they all work well this way.Also carry a LCP at times, and always have these mags topped up and carry +1.No problems loading or shooting the LCP this way either.

New Member Array Enemyofsilence's Avatar
    No, check your laws. In restricted states that 10 + 1 may get you in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by triplets View Post
    I load 10, chamber a round, and donít top off magazine. This may be silly but I donít like the top round being too tight with the slide.
    Well think about that, if you just loaded a full magazine then rack the slide to put one in the chamber does it ever malfunction in doing so? If not then it goes to show you that just because it is loaded to max doesn't make it unreliable and not chamber. So you can be safe to say your gun with that particular ammo is safe to do so. It would be the same as if you fired a round and the gun chamber the next round instead of you racking the slide. One extra round is a plus in my eyes.
    Pete63 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'm late on this, but I had failure to feed with a Glock G30 using the flush 9-round magazine shooting +1. The first round stripped off the mag was under so much spring pressure that the case lip caught on the top of the chamber. Their .45 mags are notoriously tight when fully loaded (especially the 9-rounder which I don't carry anymore), so I do not carry my G30 +1.

I have never had this issue with their 9mm's (G26, and G19) or the 10mm (G29). so I carry them +1.

Senior Member Array lordhamster's Avatar
    Chuck Norris loads his pistols to +2

Distinguished Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Doesn’t everyone load +1? It didn’t occur to me that you wouldn’t ensure that there was one in the chamber and a full loaded magazine.
    "60% of the time...it works every time..." -Brian Fantana

Deep in the bowels of a hidden bunker....
    Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I'm late on this, but I had failure to feed with a Glock G30 using the flush 9-round magazine shooting +1. The first round stripped off the mag was under so much spring pressure that the case lip caught on the top of the chamber. Their .45 mags are notoriously tight when fully loaded (especially the 9-rounder which I don't carry anymore), so I do not carry my G30 +1.

I have never had this issue with their 9mm's (G26, and G19) or the 10mm (G29). so I carry them +1.
    My G30 is extremely tight when loaded to full capacity also. I carry it with the 10 round mag, that I down-load to 9, then with one in the chamber. Not too tight that way and nothing I feel is under too much tension when I insert the mag with one in the chamber.

Then my spare mag is usually loaded to capacity, either 10 or 13 depending on which type of spare I'm carrying. Works pretty well for me. But hey, do what you gotta do.

I do always carry my guns chambered though, no exceptions there.
    wondering likes this.
    "We can't shoot a dog. People? Okay, but not dogs." - Martin Riggs

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Single stacks get +1. others get mag capacity.
    ďThe everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.Ē Skeeter Skelton

+1 here all the time.

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    I never thought to check, but do some manufacturers discourage +1 in certain models?

Senior Member Array lordhamster's Avatar
    There are some pistols that will not work reliably when loaded to +1. I had a glock 30 that refused to cycle @ Full mag +1. I always had to download the mag by one.
    Meanwhile, some pistols are purposely under-capacity I think for this reason. The HK P30 for example, could probably be a 16-17 round mag, but it is limited to 15. Loading this pistol to 15+1 is as easy as when empty.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    Well think about that, if you just loaded a full magazine then rack the slide to put one in the chamber does it ever malfunction in doing so? If not then it goes to show you that just because it is loaded to max doesn't make it unreliable and not chamber. So you can be safe to say your gun with that particular ammo is safe to do so. It would be the same as if you fired a round and the gun chamber the next round instead of you racking the slide. One extra round is a plus in my eyes.
    Racking by hand, and the energy produced by the natural recoil of the round are different levels.
    Im not saying that a problem will occur, but I prefer to not have the unnecessary pressure against the slide which adds friction, and therefore affects slide velocity, especially if Iím in a situation where I have to fire the gun with one hand, which is known to sometimes produce failures to feed in polymer guns because the grip may not be enough to allow for the slide to complete a full rearward cycle.
    Glocking26 and Bigsteve113 like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

I always top off my mag. Springfield 911 9mm carry cocked and locked with full 7 Rd mad one in the chamber.
    Max
    USCG Ret. Code Enforcement Officer, Small Arms Instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Racking by hand, and the energy produced by the natural recoil of the round are different levels.
    I agree with that when its the forward motion i.e. the slide going forward back into battery as the spring would push it forward the same each time with the same pressure and speed. But the rearward motion would be a lot faster and with more energy when a round is fired compared to just being racked rearward by your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    I agree with that when its the forward motion i.e. the slide going forward back into battery as the spring would push it forward the same each time with the same pressure and speed. But the rearward motion would be a lot faster and with more energy when a round is fired compared to just being racked rearward by your hands.
    Yes, the spring is going forward with the same energy IF, it is not retarded in anyway and reaches a full cycle. If not, then a bolt over base type of misfeed risk is exponentially higher, which is a common failure to go in to battery.

If this can be induced by limp wristing, which effectively does the same thing, in that it inhibits full rear cycle of the slide, then I certainly believe unnecessary pressure on the bottom of the slide COULD increase this chance, especially when/if one handed firing is necessary, then you are introducing 2 factors in to the operation of the gun; one which is by necessity, such as firing from the strong hand only, and one unnecessary factor such as a fully loaded mag pressing against the bottom of the slide.

Im not understanding why one would feel like a gun that has a capacity of 15 rounds would think that if they canít solve it with 15, then 16 is the magic number. Nor why one would carry a gun for the gravest extreme and do anything that could a good probability of sabotaging these precautions for such a little return.

Also, a reload from sidelock is a hell of a lot faster than trying to clear a 3 point jam....especially in the initial onset of a fight. The beginning is a very bad place to have a malfunction.

However, these are my thoughts and opinions on the subject, and not the gospel by any means.
    usmc0811 likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Sponsored Links