Is the Semi-Automatic Firearm the Do-All and End-All DEFENSIVE handgun for you?

This is a discussion on Is the Semi-Automatic Firearm the Do-All and End-All DEFENSIVE handgun for you? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I saw the thread "Is the Semi-Automatic Firearm the Do-All and End-All For You?" go by. I think that's trying to cover too much ground. ...

View Poll Results: Do you see a need for anything other than a semi-auto for defensive purposes?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

46 54.12%
  • No

39 45.88%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree122Likes

Thread: Is the Semi-Automatic Firearm the Do-All and End-All DEFENSIVE handgun for you?

I saw the thread "Is the Semi-Automatic Firearm the Do-All and End-All For You?" go by. I think that's trying to cover too much ground. I wanted to tighten down that discussion to only cover defensive handguns.

So for the purposes of this poll/discussion, please base your response to purposes of defense against human attackers. If you have a need for self defense against large animals (thinking bears, wolves or other large predators), that would not be included in this discussion, nor would explicitly hunting handguns. There is of an overlap in the defensive use against more urban / suburban four legged potential attackers (aggressive domestic dogs, coyotes). In this case the primary purpose would be defense against humans, but having the capability of taking one of these animal if necessary could be considered.

Do you see a reason to use any gun other than a semi-auto either as a carry gun or emplaced available defensive gun (think nightstand or other non-carried HD gun)? As a semi-auto would be considered can be anything from a Seecamp to a Desert Eagle, but it must be of a recoil/gas powered self loading design.

So all that said...
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Pretty much yeah...

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Goldy49 likes this.

flh
    As I'm responding to this thread I have a S&W-10 sitting a few feet away ...

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'm still a revolver guy.

My wife doesn’t do revolvers well, so yes.

That said, revolvers have their advantages.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

I love my semi autos, but there’s some ways and places I can carry a revolver that I can’t do with a semi.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

If I found myself in some weird scenario where i was fighting with a handgun at 75+ yards, maybe the handgun of choice would be my Dan Wesson 715. For all other scenarios I can dream up, I want a modern semi-auto.
    bmcgilvray and hardluk1 like this.

For me, there isn't one answer. Guns are tools. Having the right tool for the job makes the difference between life and death. Which tool I use is irrelevant. Everyone must answer the question for themselves.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Yes, in particular, select fire.
    We get the government we deserve.

Senior Moderator
    I'm primarily a revolver guy. Because I'm a firearms hobbyist I confess to playing the field for defensive carry, just for fun and I enjoy indulging the 1911-gun quite often. Why earlier this year I toted the CZ 75BD on some occasions! That's really branching out for me.

I do take revolvers seriously though and am confident with them for use in personal defense scenarios I may encounter.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have more revolvers than semi-auto pistols. I have been known to carry either or both.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

DG
    With a revolver, if it fails the first time...I can pull the trigger again. See if it works now. Semi-autos involve racking the slide, clearing the jam, what ever. With a revolver you just keep pulling the trigger until it works.
    bill35738 likes this.

I am on the other end of the spectrum. I don't see a need for anything other than a revolver for defensive purposes and the studies of civilian DGUs pretty much back that up. The only exception is I might see the need for revolvers (plural) for defensive purposes. I still own a couple of autos and sometimes carry them, but I don't need to. If I could only have one handgun for defensive purposes, it would be a snubby .38. It is not the most effective defensive handgun, but it is the handiest.
    Texas Red and bill35738 like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Not for me...I can and do use a Semi or Revolver

VIP Member
    "If your in a gun fight there is no such thing as enough gun and enough ammo, and your gun fight will only last as long as your ammo"-Clint Smith
    "There are only two times you can carry too much ammo, when your drowning or on fire"-Mike Hughes Gunsite (RIP)
    "Gunfights are come as you are events, it will not magically appear in your hand if you need it"-Paul Howe

I know statistically a fight will be low round count one maybe 2 attackers, and the roaches scatter when the first load noise goes off, however, there seems to be an increase in violent home invasions involving multiple parties, In that case a 9mm with a lot of BB's is my preferred bullet launcher.
    Pete63, Big Western and G26Raven like this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links