New to me S&W 640-2

New to me S&W 640-2

This is a discussion on New to me S&W 640-2 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just picked up this nice 640-2 made in 1997 (according to S&W a couple years before the dreaded Hillary lock). Started doing some research on ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: New to me S&W 640-2

New to me S&W 640-2

Just picked up this nice 640-2 made in 1997 (according to S&W a couple years before the dreaded Hillary lock).

Started doing some research on this gun last night and am really excited about what I stumbled onto. Found out the following::

• This model was an approved weapon for NYPD only their's were a matt finish (I like this finish better).
    • This is a "J frame/magnum" (allegedly the same frame as the S&W .357 issue of this gun)
    • The cylinder measures 1.593" in comparison to my 1974 model 60 which is 1.532" and my 2017 model 60-15 .357 which is 1.591 This would support the comments that this is the same as their .357 mag frame.
    • Has "Uncle Mike's" boot grips issued. I at first swapped them out when I got home and then found that these came from the factory with them.

When I picked up this gun at the dealer, I at first was not going to buy it. However, after I dry fired it, I found it had the absolutely smoothest DA trigger I ever felt on a S&W revolver.

After the dealer dropped the price to $400, which included the factory box and papers, it had to go home with me.

Little heavy for a carry gun, but I plan on using it with a holster when I am hunting in Michigan (no I am not hunting with it but I like to carry a side arm when deer hunting).

Just found some hard to get and highly recommended Speer Gold Dot LE Duty 38 Special Short Barrel Ammo 135 Grain +P Jacketed Hollow Point, and have two boxes of 50 rounds each enroute as we speak.

This is going to be a great addition to my S&W collection.

Trooper Joe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New to me S&W 640-2-img_0731.jpg  

New to me S&W 640-2-img_0729.jpg  

New to me S&W 640-2-img_0730.jpg  

I like it! Those J frames are versatile and effective. Looking forward to your range report!
    Snub44 and glockman10mm like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    Nice revolver & good price. The older S&Ws have such nice triggers! Congrats.
    airslot, Snub44 and glockman10mm like this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

You have such nice guns, @Trooper Joe !
    glockman10mm and Snub44 like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Senior Moderator
    No aluminum alloy, all steel. A good way to do J-Frame. A great acquisition!
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Very nice acquisition, Congratulations!

I like my 640 very much, one of my favorite revolvers. I look forward to the range report. Where did you find the Gold Dots? I'm in short supply of them and need to order some more.
    Snub44 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    Very nice acquisition, Congratulations!

I like my 640 very much, one of my favorite revolvers. I look forward to the range report. Where did you find the Gold Dots? I'm in short supply of them and need to order some more.
    Target Sports
    https://www.targetsportsusa.com/spee...1-p-54163.aspx
    Old Man and Haywood like this.

Distinguished Member
    That is a nice find. I carry the Gold Dot 135 Short Barrel +P in my J frames, too.
    glockman10mm, Haywood and Snub44 like this.

VIP Member
    SG Ammo's where I always buy mine...they have the 50-rd LE boxes for a bit more than the 20-rd boxes sell elsewhere. They're out right now, but you can sign up to be notified when they get restocked, and they'll send you an email. I've had that work well on the .45 and 9mm, as well. Best ammo company I've seen.

https://www.sgammo.com/product/38-sp...int-ammo-53921

A little heavy for a carry gun?

My 640 357 mag is my small, light carry gun.....
    A man has got to know his limitations.

VIP Member
    Yeah, but you're (drum roll) BAD BOB!!!

Yes sir, ya know how to pick’em!
    BigJon10125 likes this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Just checked your embedded link to SG Ammo. It looks like it is back in stock. At least this link, even when refreshed, does not indicate out of stock.

I agree about SG Ammo. They are really great to deal with. They are always the first place I check when I am ready to order ammo.

Targetsport was the only ones that had this ammo when I was looking the other night.

I was not aware about this ammo until you guys starting raving about. Guess I better get some more after I try it out in my 640-2.

Thanks again,

Trooper Joe
    Snub44 and BigJon10125 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Snub44 View Post
    Yeah, but you're (drum roll) BAD BOB!!!
    Why do you carry a gun? To protect yourself and your family if need be.

Why would you carry such a small gun so to handicap your ability to do that? I always hear " The 380 you carry is better than the Glock at home". It is a total BS line of thinking. Maybe it is my experience in the military and LE that I carry a "fighting gun" 99% of the time.

There are only 2 valid reasons to carry a small gun. You are in an NPE or physically unable to carry/use anything bigger. Any other excuse is just that an excuse.
    bmcgilvray and scbair like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trooper Joe View Post
    Just checked your embedded link to SG Ammo. It looks like it is back in stock. At least this link, even when refreshed, does not indicate out of stock.

I agree about SG Ammo. They are really great to deal with. They are always the first place I check when I am ready to order ammo.

Targetsport was the only ones that had this ammo when I was looking the other night.

I was not aware about this ammo until you guys starting raving about. Guess I better get some more after I try it out in my 640-2.

Thanks again,

Trooper Joe
    thanks for getting back to me but when you look under the price...it's out...you can click and they'll notify you when it's back in stock...faithfully. I'm gonna order about 4 more bx when it does.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links