Adding pocket carry with a baby on the way? - Page 2

Adding pocket carry with a baby on the way?

This is a discussion on Adding pocket carry with a baby on the way? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by halem1 The issue really isn't about pocket carry. It's about having a hand free to draw a weapon if needed. When babies ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Adding pocket carry with a baby on the way?

Quote Originally Posted by halem1 View Post
    The issue really isn't about pocket carry. It's about having a hand free to draw a weapon if needed. When babies are small with all their gear (diaper bags, bottles, strollers, carriers) it takes two hands to deal with them. Congratulations on the baby by the way! Hope all goes well with the birth!
    This is a concern too, baby will usually be in my strong side arm so drawing would be impossible. Something to get used to I guess.

And thank you!
    halem1 and 1gunsnowbird like this.

You will have room in your pockets for sure...all of the money you had in the pockets will be going towards the baby LOL!

IME - I have not experienced any issues with kids/babies and IWB/OWB carry.

Edit: congratulations on the new arrival!
    thechriskarel likes this.

Biggest issue will be being around other people with kids, who wouldnít appreciate you being armed. Pocket carry is a great way to be armed with discretion, as long as you choose a real pocket gun and holster. Wallet holsters are very discreet.

The issue of having your hands full is real. I deal with it via dual pocket carry, on most days. On weekends I will carry one on the hip and the other in the opposite pocket. This way, I have ambidextrous access.

You can deal with losing your front pockets to the pistols by getting creative. I use two thin wallets, a Bigskinny and separate credentials wallet, in my two back pockets. One spare mag goes in the same pocket with the creds. Keys on a carabiner on a belt loop. Phone in a belt holster.

Been doing this for many years. Works well with kids.
    OD* and Gabill like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post
    This is a concern too, baby will usually be in my strong side arm so drawing would be impossible. Something to get used to I guess.

And thank you!
    I think you will find carrying a baby will go to your weakside as you will need your strong side to do everything else one handed.
    OD*, halem1, 10thmtn and 4 others like this.

VIP Member
    Friend of mine who spent probably 3/4 of his career undercover was approached by an armed robber in the apartment complex parking lot where he lived. He was armed, and had his 18-mo son in his arms...gave his wallet to the man as quick as he could get it out of the pocket and skedaddled quickly. Time to engage...and time NOT to engage.
    1gunsnowbird and bustoff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by thechriskarel View Post

And thank you!
    This point is relevant regardless of why ones dominant arm may not quickly access firearm.
    If gun is carried dominant hand pocket and dominant hand is unavailable, drawing from dominant hand pocket with weak hand aint gonna be quick, same difficulty may apply to strong side IWB. Carrying a 2nd pistol in weak hand pocket affords the option / advantage of being able to quickly access a firearm with either hand.

In before someone replies about not living in war zone, not a cop, statistics, whatever... don't do it if ya don't like it.
    Snub44 likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

As a father of 2 I pocket carry all the time. I also carry on my belt but pocket carry allows me to carry ALL the time. If you do decide to go the pocket carry route make sure you get a good pocket holster setup. I like Nelsons pocket holster option.

Quote Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
    I would pocket and waist carry no matter what. Just make sure they are in secure holsters protecting the trigger and they canít fall out.
    WHAT HE SAID....And if you go pocket:
    Spend the money and get a Vedder pocket locker holster with the thumb tab fold over. It's worth the extra secure protection. MIE and ALABAMA HOLSTER also make good solid kydex pocket holsters but may take longer to get on order. I love VEDDER and they have always treated me right. They also give 10% discounts to Veterans and L.E. A very solid kydex holster for semi-s is what I prefer AND for the jframe type revolvers you can probably skate by with a sticky holster in the pocket or a semi-auto that isn't striker fire.
    Haywood likes this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

I pocket carry a lot. Not because of kids itís just more comfortable to me. I carry a Sig 938. I have practiced drawing a lot from sitting. Congrats on the new curtain climber.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Senior Member Array 1gunsnowbird's Avatar
    OP - I was recently faced with a similar situation and solved it with an LCPII in the soft pocket holster that came with the gun. Carried it strong side front pocket with a full magazine but nothing in the chamber for about five months while our daughter and two grandsons were renting a house near ours. Nobody every knew it was there and there were many times I forgot it was there. I also picked up a Vedder pocket locker and it was a nice alternative in pants with heavier material. For light weight, thin materials I felt the Ruger holster printed less.

Congratulations on the new addition to the family. I did that twice and our son has survived to the age of 41 and our daughter is turning 33 tomorrow.

P.S. - I load my .380s with Fiocchi Extrema hollow points (Hornady XTP bullets), mainly because of the Ammo Quest gel tests.
    Gumfighter - Big bubbles, no troubles. Hubba Bubba bubble gum

For me, FOR ME, pocket carry is the only way to go. We carry stuff in our pockets, not on our waist. A gun is "stuff".
    I move around a lot and I don't want my gun to show. I'm a bendy-type person. Some people aren't.
    That, and I can put my hand on the grip and no one is the wiser.

To the OP: From what you said, safety would be a major concern for me. I wouldn't even think of carrying a semi-auto around a kid like that. I would get a J frame, maybe even a DAO J frame. And I wouldn't lighten the trigger pull.
    Peace

I'm married to a hard-core liberal democrat. She's always been aware that I'm a gun-nut. (How could she not know?)
    Anyway, when I told her I'm getting my carry permit, her knee-jerk reaction was, "I don't want you carrying around me." But in actuality she knows I will do what I want - and by saying that she was just being a good, conscientious liberal.
    That said, I pocket carry all-of-the-time and I am pretty darn certain that she is not aware of that fact. The only time it comes to her attention is when I disarm in the car before going into a restricted place. Then she gives me the obligatory, "You know lots of guns are stolen from cars then used in crimes, don't ya?"
    She just doesn't know. I carried at her sister's recent funeral/service and then at the all-day hoe-down afterwards. If she had been aware she would have made a disparaging comment. But she don't know. That's why I pocket carry. It's just another bump.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.
    Peace

Pockets are for back up guns. When bullets start flying in your direction a pocket gun is a very poor option.
    Member - Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network

Quote Originally Posted by tracker 1 View Post
    Pockets are for back up guns. When bullets start flying in your direction a pocket gun is a very poor option.
    What's a good option when you're pushing a stroller with both hands as fast as you can?
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Personally, I would not recommend pocket carry.....babies are wiggly and do not fit into most pants pockets well.

That said, what is your current gun/holster setup? Have you tried it in a physically active setting?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links