Does Shot Placement Matter? - Page 3

Does Shot Placement Matter?

This is a discussion on Does Shot Placement Matter? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is why I laugh at the "full size fighting pistol" (sic) crowd. A pistol is a sidearm. A one-handed backup weapon to a rifle ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree354Likes

Thread: Does Shot Placement Matter?

This is why I laugh at the "full size fighting pistol" (sic) crowd.

A pistol is a sidearm. A one-handed backup weapon to a rifle or shotgun. That we sometimes are forced to rely on them when out in polite company doesn't change this fact.

When God says it isn't your time...it isn't your time. Been there myself. Only reason I'm still here.

Glad the victim recovered.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    The .44 magnum if it means I’m shooting it from a rifle.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    This is why I laugh at the "full size fighting pistol" (sic) crowd.
    Why? There were 18 hits?

I am no 9mm fan and no fan of FMJ for SD though. I bet you a good bullet would have made a big difference or maybe a Good 40 or 357 Sig load, not to mention magnum revolvers.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    All I can say is, "Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch!
    I want you to know OldVet that in the performance of moderator duties, I counted the ouches to insure that you posted the requisite number in keeping with this thread's topic. If there's been 17 or 19 ouches you might have been guilty of going off-topic.
    msgt/ret, AzQkr, OldVet and 10 others like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
    If.
    Took the words right out of my mouth LC
    LimaCharlie, Bad Bob, OD* and 1 others like this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    Oops!

Further investigation finds it.

"Police say the shooter was 25-year-old Kwane Brown, who was making one last random stop during a three-state crime spree after shooting a woman in Georgia, robbing a gas station in Alabama, then parking in the French Quarter with a Glock 9mm."

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/i...6-036d7ee08888
    Glock 9mm--'nuff said.
    LimaCharlie, Bad Bob, OD* and 3 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I want you to know OldVet that in the performance of moderator duties, I counted the ouches to insure that you posted the requisite number in keeping with this thread's topic. If there's been 17 or 19 ouches you might have been guilty of going off-topic.
    Ouch...
    LimaCharlie, AzQkr, OD* and 3 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array TSKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    Which one of those bullets won't kill a 1500 LB bull?

Any of them will with proper shot placement! DR
    Any one of them will put down a bull given the right circumstances. How quickly is another story entirely.

The last time I faced down a 2000+lb bull, all I had was a pitchfork. Amazing how fast they can change direction when given the proper incentive!
    He had an attitude for everyone on the place except me. Every time he saw me after that, he would stop whatever he was doing and go stand in his corner until I told him he could come out.
    Too bad he didn't challenge me until about a week after he did $3000 damage to my neighbor's pickup.
    AzQkr, msgt/ret, Old Man and 1 others like this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Sponsor
    Any hit on the upper torso, let alone anywhere else is not a miss. Misses don't physically damage the antagonist, hits do, no matter where they land. A hit to their shoulder/rotator that's controlling their weapon that results in their dropping the weapon or not being able to further fire on you is a good hit. The goal is to get the aggressor to stop being an imminent threat.

A hit in their gun hand, they drop the gun, is a good hit, it neutralized the imminent threat.

On paper, they may not be considered good hits, but the reality is they may be as good as any other hit/s.

I wouldn't want to discount any hits on threat as furthering damage and thus diminishing their ability to make effective hits on a defender. If I'm hit, my capacity to respond has been diminished to some extent. First to make hit/s has proven time and again to result in aggressors deciding they've had enough and stop being an imminent threat.

Nothing can be relied on in gun play, but all hits count. The majority of autopsy findings do not exhibit multiple rounds in the "A" zone of an IPSC target. One thing we do know from autpsy's is they all died from gunshot wounds in the various upper body areas.

Wyatt Earp quoted as saying "Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You have to learn to be slow in a hurry". But the OK Corral gun battle proved he was neither fast nor very accurate when the lead was incoming from near spitting distance. Neither was Masterson that day.

Get your hits on threat before they get hits on you and keep putting them into them until they are no longer a threat. That will be hard enough to do when the pucker factor has reached critical mass for most. What I'd not want to see is someone taking too much time trying for more accuracy than they need and get nailed in the process.
    Last edited by AzQkr; May 17th, 2019 at 04:07 AM.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post

Seems to me a reminder that good shot placement doesn’t guarantee anything.

I figure maybe God has a use for this guy. I hope it’s something pleasant!
    Seems someone still had plans for this guy...I am not sure if an event like this would make me humble; or cocky as all get out,.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    The winning combination is hit first, keep pouring rounds into them with reasonable accuracy [ combat accuracy ]. I define combat accuracy as anywhere in the chest, which would suggest 12" laterally by 16" vertical. The smaller you can keep all rounds in that "rectangle" listed, the better IMO. Roughly C zone hits on an IPSC target or the -1 [ down one ] area of an IDPA target------or the C zone area of an IPSC target.

Fairbairn/Sykes, documenting over 600 gun battles from Shanghai PD officers in the 30's noticed a proportionally high number of people hit in the lower abdomen tended to drop what they were holding. So there's that to consider also, where dropping shots into that region purposely or not.

The formula of time/distance, amount of threat that can be seen will dictate if the above changes for me. There are examples of more than one shot to a mans heart that didn't stop them for 15-30 seconds.

Take too much time looking for better accuracy than the scenario offers within the above extreme limitations could mean being struck yourself.
    This, especially, seems critically important.
    AzQkr, Bad Bob and msgt/ret like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Distinguished Member Array xXxHeavy's Avatar
    Shot placement first, Penetration next......omo.

Where was Masterson that day............?
    glockman10mm and OD* like this.
    Why did the Moron buy a ladder...... he's takin' his case to a higher court.

The reality is this was one incident that was an anomaly. I certainly would not use it as an example to vindicate anything I believed in. That was one lucky man, or as Samuel Jackson opined; Divine intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by xXxHeavy View Post
    Shot placement first, Penetration next......omo.

Where was Masterson that day............?
    Exactly. Not putting the opponent down with finality is the common denominator in the continuing of a running gun battle.

Mattox and Platt were shot all to hell that fateful day in Miami. Shots “ somewhere” on the body didn’t get it done then, or in any shooting.

Proper training, will allow one to do this.
    xXxHeavy and Bad Bob like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    The reality is this was one incident that was an anomaly. I certainly would not use it as an example to vindicate anything I believed in. That was one lucky man, or as Samuel Jackson opined; Divine intervention.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links