S&W Model 39 vs. Iowa LE Qualification Course - Page 2

S&W Model 39 vs. Iowa LE Qualification Course

This is a discussion on S&W Model 39 vs. Iowa LE Qualification Course within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by AzQkr The only smith I liked in the 1st and second gen Smiths was the 3913. Another fine pistol for a video ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: S&W Model 39 vs. Iowa LE Qualification Course

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    The only smith I liked in the 1st and second gen Smiths was the 3913. Another fine pistol for a video of another states quals.
    Once upon a time I had a 3914 (the blued version of the 3913). It was a good pistol and I shot it pretty well. Foolishly I traded it years ago on something else. I do still have my CS9 which was the smallest evolution of the M-39 platform. I'm planning to use it for one of these videos, I'm just waiting to find the right course for it.

Howard

Senior Moderator
    Love that bright finish on your 39!

I noticed on your mandatory reload stages you shot to slide lock before the reload. Does the qual protocol require loading a limited number of rounds in the mags, or was that your your own wrinkle to add a little more challenge?
    OD* likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Love that bright finish on your 39!

I noticed on your mandatory reload stages you shot to slide lock before the reload. Does the qual protocol require loading a limited number of rounds in the mags, or was that your your own wrinkle to add a little more challenge?
    That's actually the way it's laid out in the course description. The idea is for the shooter to perform an emergency reload. The magazines have to be loaded accordingly so as to run dry at the right time.

Howard

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array 1MoreFord's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    I wonder how many parts are still readily available for a gun that was discontinued in 92? A first gen, the 39 was introduced in 54 for military trials [ not adopted ] and then released the next year in 55 to the civilian marker. Their second gen's were produced in the late 70's and the 39's sorta fell out of favor with less produced every year.
    Almost none at Smith. They have stopped support on all their metal pistols of their design. This has been discussed numerous times *however* there are those who still insist on denying it. I was berated once for stating this and was told someone got a safety recall repair done. Anyone with any sense should realize safety recalls and normal maintenance needs are vastly different.

Try buying something as simple as an original OEM mag for a Model 39. They don't exist. The real Smith mags that will work but are not the proper mags are hard to come by too. Says great things for Smith's promises of a lifetime warranty doesn't it?

ETA - There are no Smith designed metal single stack pistols that I am aware of that MecGar makes mags for either. A couple of garbage mag makers do but buyer beware. MecGar does make mags for at least some of the double stack pistols though.
    AzQkr and OD* like this.
    Joe

I too had a blue/black M 39 back in the late 70's. Always liked the gun and a couple of years ago traded a Sig P250 for one. It had rubber aftermarket grips and 3 mags. Found some original wood stocks on EBay for 30.00. This one won't get away. I do like your videos! Better than some who after finding some fame seem to spend a lot of time telling how good the companies who supplies guns, ammo, and other supplies are. I don't have a problem with ads but some have went to the dark side.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by denver View Post
    I too had a blue/black M 39 back in the late 70's. Always liked the gun and a couple of years ago traded a Sig P250 for one. It had rubber aftermarket grips and 3 mags. Found some original wood stocks on EBay for 30.00. This one won't get away. I do like your videos! Better than some who after finding some fame seem to spend a lot of time telling how good the companies who supplies guns, ammo, and other supplies are. I don't have a problem with ads but some have went to the dark side.
    Thank you! My viewers are always my first consideration. I am so incredibly grateful (not to mention surprised) that people will take time out of their lives to watch my videos. Because of that, I feel an obligation to not only present the best video I can in terms of information and entertainment; but also to be forthright when discussing products and/or services. As recently (and shockingly) I have been contacted by a couple of advertising concerns and asked to make video reviews of products produced by their various clients, I first inform them that anything I say in my video(s) will be my honest opinion of whatever product I may be assessing. I also make it known to all of you when something has been supplied to me for review. Again, my first loyalty is to all of you who watch the videos. In all honesty, I'm a little uncomfortable with the whole advertising thing because I'm afraid people will start to think I'm just another paid shill for whatever company is sending me stuff.

Howard

Oooohh, shiny

I also have to ask where these qualification procedures came from, and what they want to achieve. If they want to test combat proficiency with a handgun, they could go much better, especially with the technology we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
    Oooohh, shiny

I also have to ask where these qualification procedures came from, and what they want to achieve. If they want to test combat proficiency with a handgun, they could go much better, especially with the technology we have now.
    The short answer is that they come from whatever commission/agency/committee that is tasked with establishing standards for law enforcement officers in the various states.

Howard

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by hrfunk View Post
    The short answer is that they come from whatever commission/agency/committee that is tasked with establishing standards for law enforcement officers in the various states.

Howard
    Usually POST [ police officers standards and training ] in each state.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donp326 View Post
    Howard the S&W Mod 39 was the first auto 9mm I had, mine was blued. It's long gone from my inventory.
    The 59 was my first one, also blued, also long gone.
    hrfunk likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The 59 was my first one, also blued, also long gone.
    How did you like the Model 59? My first Chief carried one many years ago, and it seemed like a pretty food pistol. In the 1990's, I carried a DAO version of the 5900 series, it was drop-dead reliable and pretty darned accurate too. I wish I could have held onto that one.

Howard

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hrfunk View Post
    How did you like the Model 59? My first Chief carried one many years ago, and it seemed like a pretty food pistol. In the 1990's, I carried a DAO version of the 5900 series, it was drop-dead reliable and pretty darned accurate too. I wish I could have held onto that one.

Howard
    I got mine around 1979. I liked it well enough. It was state of the art for the time. It moved on sometime around the first divorce...
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I got mine around 1979. I liked it well enough. It was state of the art for the time. It moved on sometime around the first divorce...
    I've handled a few first Gen Model 59s but I don't recall ever shooting one. The only thing I didn't care for was the straight grip profile. I prefer the rounded grip of the 39, and interestingly that is one of the things that came about with in the 3rd generation 5900 series.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by pskys2 View Post
    Our club had a young college girl shooting with a m39 a couple of years ago. She did quite well, but the pistol malfunctioned more than I expected. Don't know if it was technique, ammo, maintenance or strength. She has since moved up to other guns I believe.
    When I worked plain clothes security back in the day, a police Det. Sgt. I knew became the first in his department to carry an auto, a Model 39. He had it about two weeks when he encountered a BG with a shotgun. The cop got off the first shot, but the 39 malfunctioned, so he didn't get a second round off. Fortunately, things turned out OK. But he traded in the gun immediately and never carried an auto again.

I have read that the early ones had extractors that would break and they did not feed HPs well. They were also not drop safe unless the safety was on. Those issues got solved in later iterations.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    When I worked plain clothes security back in the day, a police Det. Sgt. I knew became the first in his department to carry an auto, a Model 39. He had it about two weeks when he encountered a BG with a shotgun. The cop got off the first shot, but the 39 malfunctioned, so he didn't get a second round off. Fortunately, things turned out OK. But he traded in the gun immediately and never carried an auto again.

I have read that the early ones had extractors that would break and they did not feed HPs well. They were also not drop safe unless the safety was on. Those issues got solved in later iterations.
    I've heard similar stories. The pistol in the video is a 1980 vintage 39-2. I don't ever recall having a malfunction with any kind of ammo.

Howard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links