S&W Model 39 vs. Iowa LE Qualification Course

This is a discussion on S&W Model 39 vs. Iowa LE Qualification Course within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all! Below is the link to this week's installment in my Law Enforcement qualification video series. The course in this video comes from the ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: S&W Model 39 vs. Iowa LE Qualification Course

Hi all! Below is the link to this week's installment in my Law Enforcement qualification video series. The course in this video comes from the Hawkeye state, and I'm taking it on with my S&W Model 39-2. Check out the video to see how it does!

Howard

Senior Moderator
    Whoops... "video unavailable".
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Whoops... "video unavailable".
    Same here, suggested to watch on you tube, clicked the link to it seamlessly
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    Same here, suggested to watch on you tube, clicked the link to it seamlessly
    Sorry! There is a setting on YT that automatically changes itself sometimes. If I don't happen to catch it, then the video won't play when I try to embed it. I think I have it fixed now. You should be able to watch it here without further difficulty.

Howard

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by hrfunk View Post
    Sorry! There is a setting on YT that automatically changes itself sometimes. If I don't happen to catch it, then the video won't play when I try to embed it. I think I have it fixed now. You should be able to watch it here without further difficulty.

Howard
    I watched it on you tube through the link, thanks.

What kept running through my head was how all those states obese leo's were getting up and down from prone and their knees and qualifying.

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

Our club had a young college girl shooting with a m39 a couple of years ago. She did quite well, but the pistol malfunctioned more than I expected. Don't know if it was technique, ammo, maintenance or strength. She has since moved up to other guns I believe.

I watched it on you tube through the link, thanks.

What kept running through my head was how all those states obese leo's were getting up and down from prone and their knees and qualifying.
    Well, if I can do it, anybody can!

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by pskys2 View Post
    Our club had a young college girl shooting with a m39 a couple of years ago. She did quite well, but the pistol malfunctioned more than I expected. Don't know if it was technique, ammo, maintenance or strength. She has since moved up to other guns I believe.
    Hmm, that's too bad. I don't recall ever having a malfunction with the one in the video.

Howard

Howard the S&W Mod 39 was the first auto 9mm I had, mine was blued. It's long gone from my inventory.
    MB53 and Mike1956 like this.
    Sarge 80 1976-1983 US Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by donp326 View Post
    Howard the S&W Mod 39 was the first auto 9mm I had, mine was blued. It's long gone from my inventory.
    Too bad that one got away from you.

Howard

S&W Model 39

I enjoyed seeing the video involving the S&W model 39. I bought one of these guns in 1968 and still have it, shown below. It has not been shot very much and never carried, but it functions pretty well.

Texas Red likes this.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the Peoples' Liberty's Teeth." - George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by pogo2 View Post
    I enjoyed seeing the video involving the S&W model 39. I bought one of these guns in 1968 and still have it, shown below. It has not been shot very much and never carried, but it functions pretty well.
    That's a great looking 39! I like the grips.

Howard

Sponsor
    I wonder how many parts are still readily available for a gun that was discontinued in 92? A first gen, the 39 was introduced in 54 for military trials [ not adopted ] and then released the next year in 55 to the civilian marker. Their second gen's were produced in the late 70's and the 39's sorta fell out of favor with less produced every year.

I wonder how many parts are still readily available for a gun that was discontinued in 92? A first gen, the 39 was introduced in 54 for military trials [ not adopted ] and then released the next year in 55 to the civilian marker. Their second gen's were produced in the late 70's and the 39's sorta fell out of favor with less produced every year.
    I've wondered the same thing. That's why I baby the one in the video. It gets fired once or twice a year when the mood strikes me, and always with standard pressure ammo. Some things like magazines and recoil springs are interchangeable with later models, but if you need something like a grip panel, or a drawbar, you might have to look for quite a while.

Howard

Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by hrfunk View Post
    I've wondered the same thing. That's why I baby the one in the video. It gets fired once or twice a year when the mood strikes me, and always with standard pressure ammo. Some things like magazines and recoil springs are interchangeable with later models, but if you need something like a grip panel, or a drawbar, you might have to look for quite a while.

Howard
    The only smith I liked in the 1st and second gen Smiths was the 3913. Another fine pistol for a video of another states quals.
    Texas Red likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links