Keep or Say Goodbye? - Page 3

Keep or Say Goodbye?

This is a discussion on Keep or Say Goodbye? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don't have enough guns to sell any (only have 7). Only sold one that was given to me a few years ago -- a ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Keep or Say Goodbye?

I don't have enough guns to sell any (only have 7). Only sold one that was given to me a few years ago -- a Taurus revo that was junk.
    forester58 and airslot like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I don't collect guns. I have 5 at the moment that each fill a specific role. If I want to buy one, I'll generally sell one.
    forester58 likes this.

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ParsonBrown View Post
    Keep or Say Goodbye?

Which camp do you fall into and why?

Do you pretty much keep all the guns you acquire, even if you don't carry them anymore (I would make an exception for inherited guns etc)?

Or...if they have fallen out of the rotation, or whatever, you part ways with them.

If a given piece doesn't work well, and can't be made to work well, or I don't shoot it well, it's trade fodder. (There are other reasons to hold on to something, but I have no historic guns, and few sentimental legacy ones, and nothing with much collector value. "Was it Hitler's gun, or your father's?")

My collection (accumulation, hoard) is in constant slow churn. I currently have only one handgun that I acquired before the turn of the century.
    Last edited by lee n. field; May 22nd, 2019 at 10:23 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

If it's a gun I like and shoot well, it stays. If I don't like it, it's gone. There are a couple that I should not have sold, that I probably could shoot reasonably well today.
    5lima30ret, airslot and Goldy49 like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    If it's a gun I like and shoot well, it stays. If I don't like it, it's gone. There are a couple that I should not have sold, that I probably could shoot reasonably well today.
    ^^^THIS!^^^
    G26Raven and airslot like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I have gotten rid of a bunch. I either wasnít shooting them, or wanted something else. I still have a pretty good collection and not everything gets shot. But, I have reasons for keeping what I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

I've sold/traded-away guns that were bought from foolishness and/or inexperience. I've sold/traded-away guns because I "fell in love" with expensive guns that I couldn't otherwise afford. I've sold/traded-away guns that are now worth 2-3 (5-7?) times what I paid to buy them. I've sold/traded-away guns to finance a single, very interesting gun project.
    Oh! And I melted one Taurus into a pile of molten steel & plastic because I got...GENUINELY peeved.

(But I've kept a few that make me very, VERY happy!)
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I have every gun that I bought in the last 50 years. It's just now starting to be a problem finding space for them. Not that I have that many, just not much space. I have firearms I haven't fired in 30 years, but can't get myself to sell any of them. I seem to have too many good memories attached to each one.
    airslot, DZUS, Pete63 and 1 others like this.

I had to sell all mine after a surprise second divorce years ago. I will never sell another, even if I hate it. Of course, I don't have any guns, just here for research.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Iíve sold and traded many guns over the years. But the guns that were given to me as gifts will never go anywhere.
    DZUS, airslot and bmcgilvray like this.
    We get the government we deserve.

I suspect that my gun count is teensy compared to some of the accomplished collectors hereabouts.

That said, my "kids" (veterans, both) will eventually receive them, and I'm sure that they will remain in their competent hands.

airslot and bmcgilvray like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

I used to keep them. Then felt I had too many to care for. I sold a few. Now at 67 years old Iím giving some away to family that would inherit them when I die. I donít think Iím going to die soon but, I donít need more than six or ten guns and Iím only keeping maybe five to ten thousand rounds of ammo.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

You got to know when to hold them and you got to know when to fold them. I have never made much money on selling used guns. Usually I hold on to them.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

VIP Member
    I found myself in a situation years ago where I needed to raise some fast cash. I sold all but two heirlooms. NEVER AGAIN

I buy and collect what appeals to me, much like people collect artwork. Some get shot less than others but that's OK. I still like them for their aesthetic value.
    DZUS likes this.
    MY RIGHTS DON'T END WHERE YOUR FEELINGS BEGIN

The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

I sold two about 20 years ago I wish now I had not.

I have a few I could get rid of tomorrow and wouldn't miss at all, but most I intend to keep.
    airslot likes this.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links