Keep or Say Goodbye? - Page 4

Keep or Say Goodbye?

This is a discussion on Keep or Say Goodbye? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ParsonBrown Which camp do you fall into and why? Do you pretty much keep all the guns you acquire, even if you ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree137Likes

Thread: Keep or Say Goodbye?

Quote Originally Posted by ParsonBrown View Post
    Which camp do you fall into and why?

Do you pretty much keep all the guns you acquire, even if you don't carry them anymore (I would make an exception for inherited guns etc)?

Or...if they have fallen out of the rotation, or whatever, you part ways with them.

Big picture, I have no desire to be a collector. I am having trouble though wanting to hang on to pistols I don't shoot or carry. Obviously want/would always have more than one, but I'm sitting on 4 now and a couple are more or less collecting dust.

Don't need or have to, but also want to keep things simple overall. Not exactly, "Beware the man with only one gun...", but something like that LOL.

Trading and selling has let me own and shoot so many more different guns that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise own.
    I have only owned a couple of guns I didn't like! So It's not like I sold them for that reason.
    I have already given the guns to my boys that they are going to get. I let them pick, and was mostly surprised at the ones they wanted. So I'm glad they got what they wanted that way.
    Also as I get older the guns I use a lot is changing. I haven't shot the 7mm Mag, or the WinMag in years! My hunting is now mostly varmints and predators. So I'm thinking those two will be next to get traded off! DR
    airslot and glockman10mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by africanintexas View Post
    I wish I could keep them all but I find I don’t like having guns, or anything for that matter, sitting unused. I just sold a bunch and it feels good to have it back to bare bones rotation.
    This is pretty much my feeling. Not just guns but my life. Clutter or unused items should for the most part go if there is no real attachment. Someone else can get some use.

I’d probably make a few exceptions mostly for functional reasons. I maintain it is good to have a duty pistol and a rifle and a shotgun. I won’t sell my first pistol but that could be because it is also my favorite (Walther PPQ). And I like the idea of a small 9 for concealed and something bigger (10, 357 etc) for woods or camping. I guess just trying to keep the bases covered. But within those categories I wouldn’t hesitate to buy and sell within the category. Meaning maybe I replace a CCW 9 with a different model. Trade in a 357 for a 10mm. Same with a shotgun or rifle.

I might say a few classics could stick around too. Beretta 92. Walther PPK. A high point. Things that are kinda outdated but still cool/fun to have.

Bases covered and that’s kinda where I draw the line.

All I can say is I have a bad habit!!!!!! But I have only one wife!!
    ParsonBrown likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Last year I had to sell my favorite semi shot gun when I ran short on money to pay legal fees in a divorce. After the dust settled over several months, I woke up one day, went to my fav gun shop, and bought a new gun just like the one I had sold. She got the alimony, equity, car and lots of other things. I got my two dogs and now have my shotgun back. I won! :)
    airslot and Haywood like this.
    Gun Toting Fire Breathing Liberal

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    I do not face such a dilemma. I have never had more tha two guns at once. One was my new EDC and the other my old EDC just waiting to be sold. I like to simplify life.
    I love the simple life as well. Unfortunately, Ive never found the secret to simplifying when it comes to guns.
    airslot and Tstone like this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    I keep. That is why I researched and purchased in the first place.
    Carry "rotation" of 2 (out of 3 handguns).
    Then there are some rifles, shotguns, & bows.
    Plus the Wife has her 'purchases'.
    I never have sold or traded a firearm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ParsonBrown View Post
    Obviously want/would always have more than one, but I'm sitting on 4 now and a couple are more or less collecting dust.
    Four?!
    Name:  x9dUvCu.jpg
Views: 28
Size:  98.6 KB
    airslot likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    I've never had a problem with trading out the guns that I don't like or didn't carry for the ones that I do whenever I feel the need to do so.
    forester58 and airslot like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Cool Cash For Guns

FYI: Former LEO, moved and changed agencies 43 years ago. Left in New York City: one .22 cal. pistol, two .22 cal. rifles and one bolt action 12 ga., J. C. Higgins shotgun. Back visiting NYC and tried to think how to get both the best value for them and make sure they didn't end up in the "wrong" hands. Searched value on the internet. Found that they weren't worth enough to spend the time, effort and expense shipping through an FFL or to buy a hard case for airline travel and I didn't expect that I'd ever use them again. Further, the shotgun had been recalled as unsafe.
    Found the website of the NYPD and their offer for "Cash For Guns," which may be available in other jurisdictions. Visited the 26th Precinct. Professionally and graciously greeted. Found that there is no cash offered for long guns, but $200.00 for handguns. Not wanting the long guns to end up in the "wrong" hands, I vouchered the long guns and received $200 for the pistol. Spent the $200 on a hard case to travel with my old Winchester Model 94 .30.30 and 2 IWH for my every day carry Glock 27, .40 cal. For me an easy solution and within the law. No need to discuss agreement or disagreement with the law.

Senior Moderator
    I just love guns. Love owning 'em, shooting 'em, their care and feeding. I'm so pitiful I've actually resorted to buying guns that I loathe so I can learn to loathe them more thoroughly ... something I did accomplish and yet, I still keep 'em on. I don't keep up with whether or not they're being used and shot or not as it's not important to me.

Have always been a collector (or accumulator - don't know which). I have traded away or sold a few over the years that I regret. I once had "The Big Sell-Off" back in 1989 when I fairly gutted the accumulation in order to buy a collectible car. Hah! I don't think my nerves ever got over the shock and I still mourn many of those sold at that time. Since then I decided that "my nerves" wouldn't stand another divestment so have been extremely selective about anything sold or traded.

Our two sons can and will properly deal with the menagerie when I'm gone and, truly I don't care what they do with them. I have confidence that they'll properly tend to their mother's best interest in the matter and that's what's important. Otherwise, if they keep some, fine. If they don't, fine.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've actually resorted to buying guns that I loathe so I can learn to loathe them more thoroughly
    After trying a Glock years ago and hating it I have considered buying one again just to have at least one plastic, striker fired pistol in my collection and then complain about it even more than before since I would then own one.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    After trying a Glock years ago and hating it I have considered buying one again just to have at least one plastic, striker fired pistol in my collection and then complain about it even more than before since I would then own one.
    Yeah m5215.

That's the one.
    m5215 likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I keep them all. At this point I'm still "building" for need and variety. I'm sure I'll eventually want to replace / upgrade and may sell or trade...maybe.
    Men trained in arms from their infancy, and animated by the love of liberty, will afford neither a cheap or easy conquest.

-- From the Declaration of the Continental Congress, July 1775.

I've sold two. A Mosin Nagant, and a Mossberg 930.

The Nagant was just a boring gun to shoot. First time I ever felt that way about a gun.

The Mossberg was a 12 gauge, semi-auto and its recoil with 00 buckshot was more than I could deal with. Even with reduced recoil shells. Simply put, it hurt.

The rest of my guns are fine and I have no plans on getting rid of them.
    The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you.

~ NDT ~

I don't have a lot of guns, but I like to have a backup for my SD guns. I have sold off a couple of guns, but kept most of the ones I have bought. I have not shot my HK USP in years, but when I sent my Sig p320 in for the recall rework, the HK went back on duty in my nightstand for a while.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links