DefensiveCarry Concealed Carry Forum

Keep or Say Goodbye?

Thread: Keep or Say Goodbye?

Tags:

ParsonBrown said:

Keep or Say Goodbye?

Which camp do you fall into and why?

Do you pretty much keep all the guns you acquire, even if you don't carry them anymore (I would make an exception for inherited guns etc)?

Or...if they have fallen out of the rotation, or whatever, you part ways with them.

Big picture, I have no desire to be a collector. I am having trouble though wanting to hang on to pistols I don't shoot or carry. Obviously want/would always have more than one, but I'm sitting on 4 now and a couple are more or less collecting dust.

Don't need or have to, but also want to keep things simple overall. Not exactly, "Beware the man with only one gun...", but something like that LOL.

OldChap said:
    I pretty much keep them. I don't buy many guns at all since retirement, but generally I think a lot more before buying anything. Believe it or not, I think more of how useful they will be to my kids, grand kids, and great grand kids one day than to myself. I think this is pretty much one of the most individual decisions any of us must make.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

AzQkr said:
    Keep or say goodbye, that's up to you. In the last 4 decades I've never been without at least a dozen guns I don't shoot, a dozen more I shoot once in awhile and several I rotate in and out of.

I was "into" guns, so hundreds passed through my hands both as a collector and user since 1971. Guns are no more than a commodity to me. I've never been all that attached to any of them. There's still quite a few I never shoot that I'll never sell.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

africanintexas said:
    I wish I could keep them all but I find I don’t like having guns, or anything for that matter, sitting unused. I just sold a bunch and it feels good to have it back to bare bones rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Novarider said:
    I've had several and always traded them in towards the new carry gun. I have come to regret trading them in several times. I don't think I'll do it again unless I just don't like a certain gun. I'm keeping them from now on.

This is also the first time I'm going to have a "rotation". I've always had one and only one carry gun but I recently added a second carry gun.

buckwheatpaul said:
    Quote Originally Posted by ParsonBrown View Post
    Which camp do you fall into and why?

Do you pretty much keep all the guns you acquire, even if you don't carry them anymore (I would make an exception for inherited guns etc)?

Or...if they have fallen out of the rotation, or whatever, you part ways with them.

Big picture, I have no desire to be a collector. I am having trouble though wanting to hang on to pistols I don't shoot or carry. Obviously want/would always have more than one, but I'm sitting on 4 now and a couple are more or less collecting dust.Exce

Don't need or have to, but also want to keep things simple overall. Not exactly, "Beware the man with only one gun...", but something like that LOL.

Except for inherited I have gotten to the age that I am thinning the herd to those I use and need......some are sold and some are given to family and friends.

Shootnlead said:
    I keep them...I don't get attached to carry guns...heck, it is a PITA to have to carry a gun. With that said, I still have never really seen a reason to part with them.

Now, my single action Colts and clones and some of the 1911's...well, I am pretty fond of them.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

donp326 said:
    When I was younger I used to trade a lot but in my forties I began to collect German WII military pistols now that the safe is full the guns I have will stay there until I hit 75 then I will sell my collection. I'm 66 now.
    Sarge 80 1976-1983 US Air Force

LimaCharlie said:
    I have bought and sold hundreds of guns since my first owned gun in 1962. I have sold the safe and all of my guns except two or three when we moved across country because I didn't want to move them. I limit myself to one safe because if I bought a second, the third and fourth would follow.

The safe is full and if I want another gun, I have to sell one. I like Colts and will sell or trade multiple other guns for a Colt. None of my Colts are for sale.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Cornhusker95 said:
    I used to get rid of handguns back when i first started carrying but after gaining more experience
    you learn more about what you like and don't like and what is a must feature on a gun and what is not.
    Once you get all that narrowed down your choices become less and i tend to hang on to anything i buy now
    providing it is reliable....The trade in game is like burning money so i avoid it if possible.

I still have a few i like for nothing other than shooting them from time to time but most of mine fill a specific role

1942bull said:
    I do not face such a dilemma. I have never had more tha two guns at once. One was my new EDC and the other my old EDC just waiting to be sold. I like to simplify life.
    USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

"There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim." General (retired) James Mattis.

flh said:
    I look at guns as tools for a specific job , being it hunting etc.

If I find that the gun that I have for that job doesn't measure up I replace it with one that will ...

I've Been Called A Lot Of Names But Papa Is My Favorite

ShooterGranny said:
    Gramps has always traded or sold something he no longer uses or likes when he finds something else he thinks he will like. I've traded or sold guns I initially thought were "great" but once I got them, I hated them. I also got rid of guns I can no longer use for various reasons, mostly arthritis hand issues. We both keep a very few that are sentimental for one reason or other and try to use those "upon occasion."

I've had a couple guns I said I would never part with, but age and infirmities let me know it would be much kinder to those guns to sell them to someone who might love them at least close to as much as I did.

Other than that, the guns we have at present are ones we use either for carry or for range use.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================
    Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

Struckat said:
    If it doesn’t get used it’s gone. All I see is cash sitting there.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

sparkyfender said:
    I do both. A few I've kept through the years, others i've sold or traded for something I thought I might like better. Some I regret having gotten rid of, others I have not. I'd say do whatever you feel at the moment.

I really don't worry about leaving firearms to relatives, grandchildren, etc. I've seen far too many possessions that were once treasured by one person be immediately sold the minute they became the property of a surviving relative, things the deceased wrongly thought the family member would keep forever.