Does Perfection Only Exist In... - Page 2

Does Perfection Only Exist In...

This is a discussion on Does Perfection Only Exist In... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; From my perspective of far beyond a half century of shooting every kind of gun imaginable, mastery is being able to pick up any weapon ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Does Perfection Only Exist In...

From my perspective of far beyond a half century of shooting every kind of gun imaginable, mastery is being able to pick up any weapon and shoot it well. It is not a matter of hardware, but of the person doing the shooting. Eventually, on the journey to mastery, you come to the place where you simply do not care what gun is in your hands. They all feel friendly.

IMHO that is far better than being tied to one or two individual guns.
    Last edited by OldChap; May 23rd, 2019 at 11:37 AM.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew03 View Post
    The firearm is just the tool. I aspire to be able to use anything effectively.

From pencils to bazookas.
    Tstone, AzQkr, Gabill and 6 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

That's exactly where I am coming from! With heavy emphasis on the "aspire" part!
    AzQkr, mhl6493, OD* and 2 others like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate...
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I aspire to, but cannot (yet). Effectively, yes. Proficiently to my expectations, no.
    OD*, matthew03 and OldChap like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Just scanning these threads, there is some GREAT advice here! I'll definitely be going back through them in more detail. Thanks for sharing them again here!
    AzQkr likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Perfect is what fits your needs and desires. Perfect can even be separated into Summer casual, Sunday goin' to meetin', Winter EDC, etc. It it fits your needs and desires, it's perfect.
    seeker_two likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Perfect for me is what will fit my needs with respect to concealment needs within a acceptable ballistic performance criteria ( that I set) on any given day.

For the last 2 years, that job has been shared by 3 guns of three different calibers: Colt Commander 45 Auto, Glock 26 9mm, and a S&W BG 380 ACP.

The reality is that any one of those three could be the “ perfect” if I were so inclined to do so.

But I’m not, so they aren’t.
    mhl6493, OD*, matthew03 and 4 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I knew this had been a topic that had come up before. Trying to have perfection with every firearm I pick up is not going to happen with me. Even though I feel I can shoot any pistol I pick well enough to defend my self I concentrate on my carry pistols. Whether its my Sig 938 or my Colt 1911 I want to make sure there is perfection handling, shooting and knowing these pistols.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Air,Land&Sea View Post
    ...becoming proficient in what you have and stop wasting time searching for the "perfect" firearm?
    I've pared down to a Gen 4 Glock 23, 2 1/4" Ruger SP101 and S&W 442 (without the internal lock) and feel like stopping the insanity of searching for the perfect gun.
    There's a few wish list items, but then I'd get them and you can only shoot one gun at a time anyway.
    Just wondering.
    You can chase the perfect gun forever. If you stop doing that, you have time and attention for other things, things that matter.

I read an article years back, when researching for a presentation on technology and "media ecology". Neurologically, we seem built to get a bigger charge out of seeking, than actually having. Explains a lot.

I like your list. I'd add a 9mm conversion barrel, for low cost flexibility, and a striker control device backplate to the G23, for an added small measure of safety in administrative handling. I could stand to pare down.

I also realized, some months ago, that I'm a "whatever works" guy. As long as it's reliable and fit for the purpose.
    OldChap, mhl6493, OD* and 1 others like this.

I forgot one VERY important rule: Never, ever, and I mean NEVER, tell your wife you have found the PERFECT gun.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

When I carry a gun I pick the one I like at that time and anyone I choose I know will do what I want. That's as near perfect as I can get.
    glockman10mm and OD* like this.

Legion Sigs at this point ..

Frankly to me there is no perfect gun just a very nice one for now ... For most people a compact double stack and pocket size gun should cover most of the things they need
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

There are lots of perfect guns for me. I can quit buying them any time I want.
    AzQkr, forester58, Pete63 and 4 others like this.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

VIP Member
    I don't believe in perfection when it comes to anything mechanical. But I do believe in seeking what works best for me, and I'm always willing to recognize what I thought worked "best" was only a passing illusion when I discover something that works better than the last "best". As G26Raven points out, guns are tools. There are different tools for different purposes. For self defense I have different tools for pocket carry, IWB carry, OWB carry (seldom used), and home defense. For HD, I have multiple tools for different threat scenarios- tools for close quarters defense, long range exterior defense, zombie thinning, etc.

I don't consider seeking something better to be "wasting time". I enjoy seeking out new things that better meet my needs, and I have the resources to do so. To each his own.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR
    GOA
    TFA-LAC
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

There is no such thing as the perfect handgun.

Now with that being said, there most certainly are a number of excellent choices out there from which to select that close-to-perfect sidearm for one's protection. I know I have been through a number of them over the years while trying to find that elusive perfect gun. I am comfortable with my current selection of primary and secondary carry guns as I feel they have been well vetted to serve my specific needs.

But lingering just over that hill is....
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

America First!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links