Does Perfection Only Exist In...

This is a discussion on Does Perfection Only Exist In... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...becoming proficient in what you have and stop wasting time searching for the "perfect" firearm? I've pared down to a Gen 4 Glock 23, 2 ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Does Perfection Only Exist In...

Senior Member Array Air,Land&Sea's Avatar

...becoming proficient in what you have and stop wasting time searching for the "perfect" firearm?
    I've pared down to a Gen 4 Glock 23, 2 1/4" Ruger SP101 and S&W 442 (without the internal lock) and feel like stopping the insanity of searching for the perfect gun.
    There's a few wish list items, but then I'd get them and you can only shoot one gun at a time anyway.
    Just wondering.
    Freedom of speech does not excuse those who are free from thought.

After years of searching I finally settled for a Glock 43 and a Smith Wesson P.C. No lock 442. Oh yeah and a Kel-Tec 380 for my carry needs.....this week anyway.😀
    Last edited by Glocking26; May 23rd, 2019 at 07:16 PM.

My search for the perfect firearm is a subconscious way of justifying any and all future firearm purchases.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array flphotog's Avatar
    To each their own but glocks are not and never have been on my list. I'll stick to my H&K's, Sig's, and pretty much any 1911.
    OneGunTX, msgt/ret, OD* and 3 others like this.
    Member COTEP CBOB0772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

VIP Member
    Perfection is a matter of taste, and tastes change...
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Air,Land&Sea, I have different guns for different purposes. They are all just "tools" (or that's what I tell my wife). I have a pocket carry pistol, an ankle carry gun, a sidearm for hunting, a 1911 because I wanted to learn that system, and a couple of Glocks and a couple of Sigs. If you grew up with guns, then it probably didn't take much for you to sort out what works best for you and what does not. For someone like me, who started with firearms late in life, it took me awhile to get to where I am today and figure out what I like and what I don't.

I think you also have to realize that technology changes, and firearms that did not exist before may meet a need (for some) that could not be met previously (here come the revolver guys). Sort of like the changes from mainframes to laptop computers, or film cameras to digital cameras, etc.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.
    Every man dies, but not every man truly lives.
    If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

All guns, but especially handguns, are by their nature, a matrix of "trade-offs." You have to balance size, weight, feel, capacity, caliber, accuracy, aftermarket support, etc., all in the context of your own personal preferences. I think reliability and safety are prerequisites. If I found a gun that was perfect in all other respects, but I had concerns in those two areas, I wouldn't consider it. But beyond that, it's whatever floats your boat.

Consider that a lot of the people who carry guns in the world, cops and military, don't get to choose. They learn to do well with what they are issued. There is a philosophical saying I like, "If you choose what you chose, you always have your first choice." What that means is that if you "own" the choices you've made and make them work for you, you never have no to ask the question you asked. It not only works for handgun choices, but for ever decision you've made, or will make in life. Choose a path, or a gun, and go "all in" on it.

That doesn't mean you can't change directions later on if you want to. It just means you never have to be dissatisfied with where you are now. I think you have three great guns. If you learn to use all three really well, you're up in the 90+ percentile of being armed. There is another saying I like, "It's the archer, not the bow."
    mhl6493, matthew03, redmc and 3 others like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

If there was a perfect gun...We would all own only one....How boring would that be?
    That would be as brutal as our wives only having 1 pair of shoes or 1 purse.
    G26Raven likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    and here I thought this was going to be a 1911 thread when I clicked on it...
    OD*, mhl6493, G26Raven and 6 others like this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

OD*
    Senior Moderator

I wish it did, I'd have far more money than I do.
    mhl6493, AzQkr, RETSUPT99 and 9 others like this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Maybe not perfect. But I'm perfectly satisfied with my Glock 19.
    mhl6493, OldChap and ETXhiker like this.

I'm in the same boat as G26Raven - I didn't get into handguns until later in life. In fact, I was about 45. Trying to figure out what "worked for me" as far as concealed carry is concerned was (still is to some degree) quite an adventure. There are just so many opinions and options out there. That's a blessing, but it's also a curse to a newbie with no experience. Where do you even start? It can be overwhelming!

Like I said, it has been an adventure, but it has been a fun adventure. I've developed some opinions of my own over the last 5 or so years. I especially know now what DOESN'T work for me. But I'll admit, I still have that nagging feeling that "the gun" is still out there somewhere, waiting for me to find it. I'm not sure that feeling will ever go away. Maybe when I can finally afford the Ed Brown Kobra Carry I've wanted for years now! But probably not even then...
    OD*, G26Raven, Gabill and 1 others like this.

I practice with the three handguns I use for specific purposes. IWB, pocket/wallet, and OWB camp/fish. I'm satisfied with them and want to be as proficient as I can be w/ my vision limitations.
    That said, there are always new ones I WANT.
    OD*, G26Raven, Gabill and 2 others like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

The firearm is just the tool. I aspire to be able to use anything effectively.
    AzQkr, OD*, Tstone and 7 others like this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Sponsor
    mhl6493 likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links