SIG P226 in .40 S&W

SIG P226 in .40 S&W

This is a discussion on SIG P226 in .40 S&W within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I am seeking some feedback from anyone that has information about how the P226 aluminum alloy frame handles .40 S&W after many rounds fired through ...

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Old Man
  • 1 Post By Gunnie
  • 1 Post By matthew03
  • 1 Post By giz5792
  • 1 Post By m5215
  • 1 Post By Gunnie

Thread: SIG P226 in .40 S&W

SIG P226 in .40 S&W

I am seeking some feedback from anyone that has information about how the P226 aluminum alloy frame handles .40 S&W after many rounds fired through it over an extended period of time. My main concern is the reliability and durability of the frame. When I buy a pistol I tend to have it for a very long time so I want to make sure that the aluminum frame is going to hold up many 1000's of rounds later. I am aware that 9MM is not an issue but .40 S&W generates more recoil and I assume may increase the wear and tear on the pistol.

I have several P226's in 9mm, 357 Sig and .40 cal. You will be long gone before you wear any one of them out. The P226 handles all of these calibers with ease.
    Just buy it, shoot the snot out of it and enjoy it.
    Just keep the rails well greased and change the recoil spring on a regular basis and all will be fine.
    U.S. Army Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member
    I have had .40 S&W Sig P229s since their first year of introduction. It is my understanding that the alloy frame material that is used on the P226 is the same as what is used on the Sig P229. At the time of the introduction of the .40 S&W in the Sig line of pistols, it is my understanding that the P226 used a folded steel slide that the engineers at Sig had concerns about subjecting it to the increased slide speed that would be generated from the .40 S&W without increasing the recoil spring weight. They decided not to initially chamber the P226 in .40 S&W, but it was due to the slide, not the frame. Later, the P226 was given the milled stainless slide that the P229 had and they started chambering the P226 in .40 S&W. I don't think you should have any concerns about the frame. I have fired and observed thousands upon thousands of rounds of .40 S&W fired through P229s over many years and have never seen a frame issue. I would expect the same thing with a P226 in .40 S&W. There have been lots of discussions on the Sig forum and others regarding frame wear through the Nitron coating and eventually having rail cracking on the frame. Many opinions on this, but it isn't limited to .40, but is apparently applicable to 9mm also. Navy Seals rumors have it that they have shot over 1 million rounds through one pistol. Maybe so, I don't know. But, if they are carrying a P226 or had been carrying it, it must have been okay. Some will say that the frame roll pins need to be replaced every 5,000 round to prevent breakage, that will allow increased pressure on the breach block that will eventually lead to frame rail failure. In my opinion, do the suggested maintenance on replacement of the springs and pins at the suggested frequency and shoot the living daylights out of it. Now that I am retired, I don't ever expect to shoot one up now that I am having to put out my own coin for ammo!
    matthew03 likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Their are many reports of them going well into 100k rounds. If you can afford enough to destroy it you can afford a new one. For that matter you could buy a spare along the way. The biggest thing is to keep up on maintenance at 5k every spring should be replaced. If itís got rolled pins they get replaced at that point also.
    Old Man likes this.

Built like a tank, proceed with no worries.
    Old Man likes this.
    https://www.facebook.com/Appalachian...125519/?ref=hl
    I don't train to fight some street urchin, I train to fight the evil version of myself, and that person scares me, because I know the time I put into my training on how to beat him.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    Some will say that the frame roll pins need to be replaced every 5,000 round to prevent breakage, that will allow increased pressure on the breach block that will eventually lead to frame rail failure.
    This is the first I have heard of this (I am relatively new to SIG as I just recently acquired several P226's). I do change out recoil springs on all my pistols as needed but I have never had one that needed pins to be replaced on a regular basis. Is this a valid maintenance issue that I should be concerned about?

The breech block was used in the folded steel slides, and those needed to be maintained. The roll pins used now, they recommend replacing every 5k or so, but they are only used in the slide. The frames use solid pins throughout, at least my 229's are.
    Old Man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by giz5792 View Post
    The breech block was used in the folded steel slides, and those needed to be maintained. The roll pins used now, they recommend replacing every 5k or so, but they are only used in the slide. The frames use solid pins throughout, at least my 229's are.
    OK I will add that to my maintenance schedule for my P226's. I will pick up a dozen or so of those pins so I have them in stock for a while.
    Old Man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by m5215 View Post
    OK I will add that to my maintenance schedule for my P226's. I will pick up a dozen or so of those pins so I have them in stock for a while.
    If you buy the maintenance kit from sig for your specific pistol it will have springs and pins go to their parts section they are called parts kits. Everything their should be replaced at 5k.

ETA: https://www.sigsauer.com/store/parts...g-40-auto.html
    Old Man likes this.

Sponsored Links