How sharp does your front sight appear to you? - Page 4

How sharp does your front sight appear to you?

This is a discussion on How sharp does your front sight appear to you? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by G26Raven The SSP glasses look like they might work well. Thanks for the recommendation. The way I found the focal needed was ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree172Likes

Thread: How sharp does your front sight appear to you?

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    The SSP glasses look like they might work well. Thanks for the recommendation.
    The way I found the focal needed was very scientific. I took a sharpened pencil to Walmart, stood beside the reading glasses stand, held the pencil out to the distance of my front sight, and tried the readers until I found the one with which I saw the pencil lead clearest.
    G26Raven and dangerranger like this.

At age 43, I had cataracts removed from my eyes and ReStor prosthetic lenses inserted. Theyíre great, for reading at 12-15 inches, and great for distance vision. So I read easily, and drive easily. But, reading pricetags while shopping, the Navi while driving, and in some cases the small characters in my dashboard display, and, with fully extended arms in a shooting stance, my front sight. I shoot best with laser sights, but I donít have those on all of my guns, and they donít work well in daylight. So Iím doing my best to both learn to quickly find the blurry front sight between the uprights and on top of my target, and, point shooting.
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
    At age 43, I had cataracts removed from my eyes and ReStor prosthetic lenses inserted. Theyíre great, for reading at 12-15 inches, and great for distance vision. So I read easily, and drive easily. But, reading pricetags while shopping, the Navi while driving, and in some cases the small characters in my dashboard display, and, with fully extended arms in a shooting stance, my front sight. I shoot best with laser sights, but I donít have those on all of my guns, and they donít work well in daylight. So Iím doing my best to both learn to quickly find the blurry front sight between the uprights and on top of my target, and, point shooting.

if you are dry-firing on a regular basis, 3+times per week, you will more than likely have the ability programmed to get on target with minimal sight acquisition. remember most defensive shooting situations will be very close range. but you need the skill of drawing, and indexing the target reflexively. ( this is why good shooting schools put so much emphasis on dry firing)
    point shooting is a 6-8 foot proposition, and is demostrated out of context ( from both sides of the argument) think of it as just beyond arms reach
    Rambler and G26Raven like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I'm a competitive shooter in my mid-50s with similar eyesight issues. I would like to stick to using iron sights as long as I can. With targets under 15 yards, I find target biased aiming works fine. It's when I have to hit something further than that, I really need to see my sights as sharp as possible.

I started going to an optometrist who's also a member of my shooting club. He was able to fit me for shooting glasses where the transition in the progressive lens between seeing close up and far is moved up just at my line of sight. I may have to raise my head just a tiny bit more than normal, but no where near as much as wearing typical progressives or readers.

He even let me bring my pistol and rifle into his office, so we could test the perscription and how much distance sharpness I had to give up (very little) to make my sights perfectly sharp at full presentation.

This works well for me.
    G26Raven and M1911A1 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chcole1 View Post

I started going to an optometrist who's also a member of my shooting club. He was able to fit me for shooting glasses where the transition in the progressive lens between seeing close up and far is moved up just at my line of sight. I may have to raise my head just a tiny bit more than normal, but no where near as much as wearing typical progressives or readers.

He even let me bring my pistol and rifle into his office, so we could test the perscription and how much distance sharpness I had to give up (very little) to make my sights perfectly sharp at full presentation.
    Sounds like you found a good guy to help you out.
    Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
    Mike Tyson

Everyone wants to eat, but few are willing to hunt....

Yeah, his wife is actually the optometrist but he does all the fittings. They are both shooters at the club. Makes a huge difference to have someone who gets it.
    G26Raven likes this.

If I want a lens to give me a clear front sight then any eye doctor understands computer lens !! Think about sitting the same distance from your screen and your front sight when talking to the doctor . For me that's 28" for computer monitor or front sight. But most of my shooting needs is on in focus down range view so front sight clarity matters little for defensive drills and using the Flash Sight Picture style
    Last edited by hardluk1; May 31st, 2019 at 04:26 PM.
    G26Raven likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    Had a friend put me in, as a free member of his Gun Club in Toronto, when I lived there.

This was a Gun Club with all Jewish members! When they became interested in shooting, no clubs would let them in as members (Yes I know, the middle ages!) so they rented a range, and there you go.
    Money was not a problem, my Buddy, a Police Sgt. Wanted me as an Instructor, my Job. Hence the membership.

One of the members, an Accountant I advised purchasing the stick on adjustable eye aperture. He said it did not work! When I put it on the correct! Eye, it worked fine. No, I did not tell anyone else at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Novarider View Post
    Yes but what about the eye that doesn't have a cataract? Don't most get lasik in that eye so you can see clearly in both eyes?
    I don't know. Most people I know personally who have had cataract surgery, have had it done in both eyes. I am sure some haven't though.

If I want a lens to give me a clear front sight then any eye doctor understands computer lens !! Think about sitting the same distance from your screen and your front sight when talking to the doctor . For me that's 28" for computer monitor or front sight. But most of my shooting needs is on in focus down range view so front sight clarity matters little for defensive drills and using the Flash Sight Picture style

yes but this type of lenses will cause your view of the target to be more fuzzy, making the threat ID more difficult
    G26Raven likes this.

For me, cataract removal solved the problem.
    M1911A1, G26Raven and msgt/ret like this.

The cataract removal necessitated the insertion of a lens in the eye. My first eye gave me 20-20 vision in that eye.
    A year later, the other eye, same result. Left first. It took a while before the front sight had the sharp front sight picture, required for both eyes open shooting I had used for many years. My right eye is the master.

Reading glasses required for this Lenovo Laptop, and the Libary books I inhale, two per week.

The next battle, my Wife of 26 years! Who knows she needs the surgery but is very reluctant to actually step up to the plate, so to speak.

As an aside, is everyone aware that the new driving license is required by October? 2020. Or domestic Airline travel will not be possible for you! The proof of the pudding, a little circle in the upper right corner, and the three capital letters. USA. My license still had a year to run when I replaced it.

The young Lady in the DMV said I looked too sad on the Photo, so she sent me over to do it again, with a smile.
    G26Raven and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I wear glasses but do not get a sharp front sight unless I tilt my head way back (trifocals) which ain't no good. Without glasses, my sights look about what they look like in this picture.

I put Big Dot night sights on my HK p2000sk a few years ago and Trijicon HDs (orange) on my Shield 45 and Sig Pro, and they help a lot. Not to make the front sights appear sharper, but to just be able to see the suckers.
    This also represents what I see. While there are drawbacks to a micro red dot on a carry pistol, one advantage is that it completely eliminates the issue of sight blur. Both the red dot and the target are in focus. It really is a great thing for those with issues like mine (see pic in quote above). If you have not tried a mounted red dot, it is pretty amazing what it can do for bringing all in focus. However, as I noted, there are drawbacks to that solution, as well.
    G26Raven likes this.

MIke You can't have it both ways , well maybe if you can master dot optic but I can tell you I can draw and place 15 rounds of 155gr 40sw into a group at 50 feet I can cover with my hand , well a 3.5 x4.5 group with a .780 split times wearing my trifocals . Sure not bullseye accurate right ?? But sure is enought for defensive needs and fired with no real sight focus , just looking thru of over the top of the sights . Flash Sight Picture Style of shooting .

I can also grab my old colt 6" huntsman and plink 12ga hulls at 25 yards 7 or 8 out of 10 by slow shooting and tilting my head slightly up and down between the middle distance and front sight lens . A great 2lb trigger helps too .

With a red dot you use the distance part of your lens all the time , targets clear and so is the red dot but it may be nice to have an adjustable dot brightness or automatic brightness feature that works well .

Give a dot a few weeks of hard shooting at least to get use to it and just remember once zeroed the dot can be floating around with in the lens but on target to hit that point when fired ; or close to it !!

Quote Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
    MIke You can't have it both ways , well maybe if you can master dot optic but I can tell you I can draw and place 15 rounds of 155gr 40sw into a group at 50 feet I can cover with my hand , well a 3.5 x4.5 group with a .780 split times wearing my trifocals . Sure not bullseye accurate right ?? But sure is enought for defensive needs and fired with no real sight focus , just looking thru of over the top of the sights . Flash Sight Picture Style of shooting .

I can also grab my old colt 6" huntsman and plink 12ga hulls at 25 yards 7 or 8 out of 10 by slow shooting and tilting my head slightly up and down between the middle distance and front sight lens . A great 2lb trigger helps too .

With a red dot you use the distance part of your lens all the time , targets clear and so is the red dot but it may be nice to have an adjustable dot brightness or automatic brightness feature that works well .

Give a dot a few weeks of hard shooting at least to get use to it and just remember once zeroed the dot can be floating around with in the lens but on target to hit that point when fired ; or close to it !!
    2lbs is real light for a carry pistol, which I assume this one is not?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links