9mm polymer shopping

9mm polymer shopping

This is a discussion on 9mm polymer shopping within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Can't believe I'm posting this, but I have a hankering for a 9mm plastic gun. I went through the plastic stage early on in my ...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree194Likes

Thread: 9mm polymer shopping

VIP Member

9mm polymer shopping

Can't believe I'm posting this, but I have a hankering for a 9mm plastic gun. I went through the plastic stage early on in my gun collecting journey, mainly to try out as many different platforms as possible. I eventually sold everything and went to 1911s exclusively. Well, here I am again.

Went by Academy this morning and looked at 5 different guns. Glock 19 Gen 5, Glock 48, S&W M&P 9 2.0, M&P 9 2.0 compact, and the M&P 9 2.0 with 5" bbl, FDE.

G19 is out, and I had high hopes for it. Hated the grip angle. G48 felt really good, thin, lightweight. 2-tone color was a plus.

M&Ps felt great, with the 5" and 4.25" bbl models neck in neck. The compact was a bit too short in the grip for my liking, and felt a bit unbalanced (unloaded of course). Of these 3, I am leaning more towards the 5" model because of grip length, overall balance, and longer sight radius.

I need to get my hands on the FNX9, and maybe a Gen 4 G19 before I make a final decision. I also hear some of the Sigs are pretty good, but I know absolutely nothing about them. Springfield XDs are out for me. I'm not a fan of the bulky top end.

I'm ready to take my lashings from the 1911 crowd. Just be gentle. I got another one yesterday, so I get a few points for that....right?
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

9mm polymer shopping

Iíve got a Glock 19, itís my one and only polymer and striker fired weapon. It doesnít see much use, mostly just to say I have one and the G19 is definitely the quintessential of that genre. Itís a fine gun, just not what Iíve come to like over the years.

If I was looking at a polymer for serious use, Iíd be taking a hard look at the Sigs and H&K. But, Iím partial to hammer fired autos, particularly DA/SA.

Edit: Add CZ to that list after seeing subhumanís post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Melvin, Kenny53, deadguy and 1 others like this.
    An intruder will be incapacitated by tear gas or oven spray, but if shot with a .357 Magnum will get angry and kill you.

My Glock 19 was bought before generations so I guess it would be called Gen 1. I love it and it shoots great. I have M&P 9MM and 9MM compact, also have the M&P 45. They all shoot great. I carry the M&P 9's the most. The compact is a pocket carry and the full size is IWB. I use a Kydex holster from RDR Gear. The holster works for both the 9mm and 45. The compact is carried in a Sticky Holster weak side. I might have to go with the M&P. Either way you won't go wrong. The Glock is easier the strip down and clean. The M&P gives you two more rounds. ? Good luck.
    deadguy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I've tried the weapons on your list and for pure polymer wonder-9 goodness you have to try a PPQ or (even better, its father) the P99. They shoot MUCH more smoothly and handle like a dream. Good luck.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

A CZ P07 is a very tough one to beat, love mine

If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

VIP Member
    Not a fan of the Walthers, but I have been eyeballing some of the CZ models. Hard to find those locally.

Check out the HK P2000 V2 LEM.

Materials, build quality and toughness...no other manufactures can touch it.

And it's built a reputation of being one of the most reliable service pistols out there.
    Member since June 2009

Glock guy here, but if I wasn't fully submerged in that system, I'd look hard at the HK vp9 and p30, the CZ p07 and p10c, and the Sig polymer pistols.
    deadguy and Militant like this.

Check out the STI Staccato C, with the single stack 2011 style polymer grip frame it is kind of a polymer/1911 hybrid. I have no use for a compact 9mm but I have been sorely tempted by one of these. They cost more than your average plastic fantastic but from what I've read they're worth it.
    https://stiguns.com/product-lineup/staccato-c/
    deadguy and MMinSC like this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WC145 View Post
    Check out the STI Staccato C, with the single stack 2011 style polymer grip frame it is kind of a polymer/1911 hybrid. I have no use for a compact 9mm but I have been sorely tempted by one of these. They cost more than your average plastic fantastic but from what I've read they're worth it.
    https://stiguns.com/product-lineup/staccato-c/
    I've been eyeing those over at Addicts everytime they are posted for sale, but really don't want to dump that much into one. Sharp looking gun, though.

Distinguished Member Array Rabbit212's Avatar
    I hope you ROT in polymer hell!!!! Hey he did say to be gentle.
    LimaCharlie, deadguy and MMinSC like this.
    Those are my principles, and if you don't like them.....well, I have others.

Quote Originally Posted by 380ACP View Post
    Iíve got a Glock 19, itís my one and only polymer and striker fired weapon. It doesnít see much use, mostly just to say I have one and the G19 is definitely the quintessential of that genre. Itís a fine gun, just not what Iíve come to like over the years.

If I was looking at a polymer for serious use, Iíd be taking a hard look at the Sigs and H&K. But, Iím partial to hammer fired autos, particularly DA/SA.

Edit: Add CZ to that list after seeing subhumanís post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Same as post # 2.

the P07 has the Omega trigger /safety system it comes DA/SA with a decocker but it has a safety with it too that you can install and then carry it cocked and locked like the 1911s you are used to carrying
    deadguy, MMinSC and plumber802 like this.
    If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I've been eyeing those over at Addicts everytime they are posted for sale, but really don't want to dump that much into one. Sharp looking gun, though.
    I feel the same way. I've got a Kriss 9mm carbine in the safe that's been gathering dust, been thinking about offering it up in trade towards a Staccato C.
    deadguy likes this.
    "If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper

Its all opinion of course but, once I tried an HK I sold everything else in that size range. VP9 striker or P30 hammer as you see fit. I prefer the sub compact P30sk myself. Quality unlike any polymer gun you have ever tried. I have owned polymer Glock's, Sig's, Beretta's, EAA Witness's, Kel-Tec's,M&P's and Ruger's.
    deadguy, seery and Militant like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links