S&W Model 28 vs. Oklahoma Law Enforcement Handgun Qualification Course

This is a discussion on S&W Model 28 vs. Oklahoma Law Enforcement Handgun Qualification Course within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Good morning all! Here is the latest video in this series. In this one, the big Model 28 is taking on a very challenging course ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: S&W Model 28 vs. Oklahoma Law Enforcement Handgun Qualification Course

Good morning all! Here is the latest video in this series. In this one, the big Model 28 is taking on a very challenging course from the Sooner State. Be sure to let me knw what you think!

Howard

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hrfunk View Post
    Good morning all! Here is the latest video in this series. In this one, the big Model 28 is taking on a very challenging course from the Sooner State. Be sure to let me knw what you think!

Howard

I see the migraine cure....
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

Senior Moderator
    I'm curious about how Rosie O'Donnell ended up on a police qualification target!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I'm curious about how Rosie O'Donnell ended up on a police qualification target!
    Hmm.....

Howard

I had a 28 at one time. Great pistol, but I traded it for a Model 25. I always struggled with groups using full power 357 loads, but I expect that was more just those fire-breathing 125 grain loads more than the gun itself. When I put some of my target full wadcutter 38s in it, it was an amazingly accurate gun. Thanks.
    hrfunk likes this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Sponsor
    The model 28 was a work horse of a gun for decades. The 27 being the highly polished blued and more collectible version. HR, is your's a -2 model era gun? I used to collect them and 27's at one time.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    The mind is the limiting factor

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Love the 28. Mine is also a 6 inch and made in 1965. Sweet shooter and the trigger, both in DA and SA, is superb. It is in the family gun category so it will go to my son but it even if it wasn't I would never sell it.

I really need to work up a 357 target/plinking load one day.
    gatorbait51, OldChap and hrfunk like this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

The 28 is on my wish list...
    gatorbait51 and hrfunk like this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    I am guessing that is her 8th grade grad picture then?

Neat hobby, studying these qualification courses.
    hrfunk, gatorbait51 and Old Man like this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

No way I could consistently squirrel that big long 28 out of a 4 o'clock waist level holster. I'd need the holster somewhere around 10 or 11 o'clock at a 45 deg angle for "proper" gunslinging.

gatorbait51 likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Distinguished Member
    Thanks @hrfunk for another interesting video. Congratulations on qualifying, again! I'm enjoying your 50 state qualification journey, including the piano accompaniment from your daughter.

Those 6" revolvers are hard to clear leather, particularly from a high ride holster.
    gatorbait51 and OldChap like this.

Senior Moderator
    I'm enjoying the heck out of the retro cop guns like the Browning Hi-Power, the Smith 39 and now the Highway Patrolman.

For you LE veterans out there, if a compact version of a service weapon is approved for off-duty or plain-clothes carry, must you qualify with that weapon as well? I'm just pondering hrfunk's fine series here and as he's included retro guns, it might add another dimension to include other than full-size models. I wouldn't suggest a J-frame, but maybe a 2" K-frame like a DAO M64, or a Kahr K9 formerly approved by NYPD.

As an aside, just looking into NYPD's service pistol requirements I note a 12-pound trigger pull requirement in a blog commenting on the Springfield XD-S being approved for backup or plain clothes use. Coincidentally, today I happened to measure the trigger on a favorite wheelgun, a 4-inch S&W 64-3 that lives here. DA pull was a heavy 9.5 pounds, but it's smooth with no "stacking." I can't imagine an automatic with a 12-pound trigger.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    The model 28 was a work horse of a gun for decades. The 27 being the highly polished blued and more collectible version. HR, is your's a -2 model era gun? I used to collect them and 27's at one time.
    Yes. Mine is a 1966 vintage 28-2.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    No way I could consistently squirrel that big long 28 out of a 4 o'clock waist level holster. I'd need the holster somewhere around 10 or 11 o'clock at a 45 deg angle for "proper" gunslinging.

Ha, ha! It was a bit of a challenge to get it out of that holster in the allotted time!

Howard

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links