My wife switched her carry pistol today - Page 2

My wife switched her carry pistol today

This is a discussion on My wife switched her carry pistol today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My wife also tried a p365 but like me was not sold on it specially after its growing pains but then she really surprised me ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: My wife switched her carry pistol today

My wife also tried a p365 but like me was not sold on it specially after its growing pains but then she really surprised me and changed from her m&p9c double stack to single stack . She carried a tuned up m&p9c for some years and shot it well and and used a 17 round mag as back up . Then I bought a kimber stainless ultra 9mm for ME to fill a smaller skinny carry option . I had changed the grip panels to a thin panels to skinny it up some more and just finished my normal get to know the handgun 400 rounds thru it at our at home range . Then I screwed up and asked my wife if she wanted to try it when I saw her watching from the back porch and after a few mags of ammo she claimed it as HER new EDC . So now its over 2800 rounds and I never got to carry or shoot it again . But I did fit short ed brown trigger fit tighter to the frame and did some minor polishing of parts moly dry lube and sear spring tuning for a 3.5lb trigger and she loves her 1911 . I never saw that coming , never . Anyhow it runs with 9 round Wilson etm mags for carry and 2-10 rounders as back up mags . Her holsters are a safariland 27 just for the Kimber but has a moified MTAC for her M&P's if she carry's it again but the 1911 works well enough in it too . I do the same holsters and replaced my Kimber with a colt 04840wc .

MY wife also has a Garter holsters & the belt from Can Can Concealment for when a dress is needed and hey it looks nice too !! Hey guys !! It makes for a nice gift for your lady .

hardluk1, I bought the bellyband from CanCan for my wife and she has never used it. Tried it once and said, no. Yet, when we go to the range, she uses a AIWB Kydex holster with the Ulticlip from the Gun Goddess and likes it. She hasn't said "no" yet to using it for carry, but she hasn't tried it yet, either.

My wife would never have bought the P365 by herself. She just doesn't keep up on what's available or read the reviews. However, when we went to SHOT I had her pick up and try the trigger on the P365 and she really liked it. I paid for the pistol and all the accessories, but the pistol belongs to her. I consider it a small price to pay for her security.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

Seems like every time I've got it all figured out on my carry pieces I end up finding something I like better. That's been the pattern for me for 36 years of carrying now. My GLOCK 23 has been a constant because that's my issue weapon. My GLOCK 27 served me well for 21 years, but I just recently switched that to a GLOCK 26, for several reasons, but mainly because we are authorized to carry personally owned GLOCK 9mm's now and in preparation for my upcoming retirement I'm concentrating more on 9mm and .45 these days (still got a lot of love for the .40, just like the .45 and 9mm better). I find myself carrying my J Frame more than my beloved KLCR these days. And my Shield 9mm or .40 seems to have been booted out lately by my XDS .45.

My point is, that I seem to be changing every few years as my needs/tastes change. The only constants have seem to be 1911's, J Frames, and some form of GLOCKs mid size and sub compact.
    G26Raven, OldChap and Old Man like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

@Bigsteve113 I think you might be in my boat. Now that I'm retired, I carry a G23 OWB all day, every day, around the house and a variety of back up guns when I go out.

Of course, when I go out, sometimes I like to carry a Shield 45 AIWB, or like last Sunday, a G30S in a Jackass shoulder holster, or the week before, a PF-9 in a bellyband (gasp!), or the week before that, a G27 with a G32 length AlphaWolf .357 Sig barrel in a shoulder holster.

I just hate to play favorites. I will say it again. Like Will Rogers, "I never met a gun I didn't like."

Early congratulations on your upcoming retirement. I miss it.
    Bigsteve113 and G26Raven like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Last time my wife practiced I laid out 4 pistols: the Ruger 1911 9mm she been carrying, Kahr P9, Shield 9mm, and a Glock 19.
    She never liked Glock 19 before, I had installed Trijicon HD sights on it, "I'm gonna shoot that, its got new sights you can try it if you want".
    Drawing and shooting the Ruger 1911 from purse after not shooting for awhile left something to be desired, the thumb safety slowed her down.
    She tried the Glock 19, liked the sights, said draw from purse was quicker and not having a manual safety to disengage eliminated a variable.
    I emphasized that if she wanted to carry the Glock 19 I already had another, so it would not cause me to "need" to buy a new pistol.
    She shot each pistol several more times and decided that she preferred the Glock 19 for her dedicated purse gun.
    Kahr P9 in fanny pack when she checks on her chickens, or AIWB for the movie theater with worthless bag/purse checks but no metal detectors.
    I can relate. Last time out (last week), my wife decided that she REALLY liked the way my 19X felt and shot, and she would consider it in addition to her P365 and P320. I said to her, "So, does this mean that if I get the Glock 45, I'll never see my 19X again?" She smiled and nodded. So, bad news is I lose the 19X, the good news is it stays in the family and I get to pick up a glock 45. Yay! Of course, If I can find another used 19X for cheap, then I get to keep both!
    CDW4ME and G26Raven like this.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Recently we got my wife a Sig P365, with the idea that either that or her existing Glock 43 would become her practice pistol, since their manual of arms is virtually identical. After putting another two hundred rounds through the Sig she reached the following conclusions:

1) The magazine release on the Sig is easier for her to operate and get a positive magazine removal. Not sure whether this is the shape of magazine release "button," the location of the "button," less tension, or all of the above
    2) The gun is easier for her to draw from her Maxpedition bag that she uses as her purse.
    3) Her perception is that the Sig has less recoil than the G43.
    4) She likes the green Sig Xray sights better than the orange Trijicon HD sights on her Glock.
    5) She likes the fact that the Sig has a higher magazine capacity.

As a result she has decided to switch from carrying the G43 to the Sig P365.
    Good deal! That difference between the G43 and the P365 is what sold my wife on the P365 OVER the G43 in the first place. It's always good to know she's carrying something she's comfortable shooting, as she's more likely to use it if needed.
    G26Raven likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    If she is switching carry guns it could be worse....She could be switching purses and shoes!
    Never mind that is a given
    G26Raven and Old Man like this.

I don't have a dedicated edc. I like all my guns too much not to carry them. I've got 19 different guns that I could be carrying at any given time. I'll carry one a few days then switch to something else. Although it's usually a revolver (or two) of some flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    If she is switching carry guns it could be worse....She could be switching purses and shoes!
    Never mind that is a given
    I bought the last purse my wife uses and the only shoes she seems to buy are running shoes. She is definitely the low maintenance side of our household.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

Distinguished Member Array Cornhusker95's Avatar
    I bought the last purse my wife uses and the only shoes she seems to buy are running shoes. She is definitely the low maintenance side of our household.
    Mine is except those 2 things....I shut up and do as i am told
    G26Raven and Henry9008 like this.

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    I think she made a good decision, there is a lot to like about the P365. I don't know if my wife could be weaned off a 380, but maybe some day.
    forester58 and G26Raven like this.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Wife like that deserves a Christmas card.

Don't wait for me to send one though.
    Frodebro, G26Raven and Henry9008 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by FLSlim View Post
    I think she made a good decision, there is a lot to like about the P365. I don't know if my wife could be weaned off a 380, but maybe some day.
    I can't wean mine off of 357 magnum. She will not even consider a semi auto. O well, could be worse I guess.
    G26Raven and Chief1297 like this.

Interesting OP. My wife carries a G43, and is considering the switch to a P365.
    G26Raven likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Recently we got my wife a Sig P365, with the idea that either that or her existing Glock 43 would become her practice pistol, since their manual of arms is virtually identical. After putting another two hundred rounds through the Sig she reached the following conclusions:

1) The magazine release on the Sig is easier for her to operate and get a positive magazine removal. Not sure whether this is the shape of magazine release "button," the location of the "button," less tension, or all of the above
    2) The gun is easier for her to draw from her Maxpedition bag that she uses as her purse.
    3) Her perception is that the Sig has less recoil than the G43.
    4) She likes the green Sig Xray sights better than the orange Trijicon HD sights on her Glock.
    5) She likes the fact that the Sig has a higher magazine capacity.

As a result she has decided to switch from carrying the G43 to the Sig P365.
    I stopped reading after that cause I already knew what the end result would be.
    G26Raven likes this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links