My wife switched her carry pistol today

This is a discussion on My wife switched her carry pistol today within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently we got my wife a Sig P365, with the idea that either that or her existing Glock 43 would become her practice pistol, since ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree118Likes

Thread: My wife switched her carry pistol today

Recently we got my wife a Sig P365, with the idea that either that or her existing Glock 43 would become her practice pistol, since their manual of arms is virtually identical. After putting another two hundred rounds through the Sig she reached the following conclusions:

1) The magazine release on the Sig is easier for her to operate and get a positive magazine removal. Not sure whether this is the shape of magazine release "button," the location of the "button," less tension, or all of the above
    2) The gun is easier for her to draw from her Maxpedition bag that she uses as her purse.
    3) Her perception is that the Sig has less recoil than the G43.
    4) She likes the green Sig Xray sights better than the orange Trijicon HD sights on her Glock.
    5) She likes the fact that the Sig has a higher magazine capacity.

As a result she has decided to switch from carrying the G43 to the Sig P365.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

It sounds like she is a happy wife.
    G26Raven likes this.

VIP Member
    I switched back to the Glock 17 yesterday.

We'll see what I feel like going with tomorrow.
    G26Raven, AzQkr, OldChap and 2 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    For my smaller sized 9mm carry I dumped my two P365s and am with the G43. Go figure.
    G26Raven likes this.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Good for your wife that she found something that works better for her.
    lchamp, G26Raven and Paladin3840 like this.

Awesome, now you know that Sig have the 15 rounds mag I might have to just pick up one at least.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Luke 22:36
    Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Western View Post
    You nailed it. There is no one "best" pistol, position of holster, type of holster, set of sights, etc. It's what works for you under a particular set of circumstances.
    Last edited by OD*; June 11th, 2019 at 08:45 AM. Reason: Repair quote
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I switched back to the Glock 17 yesterday. We'll see what I feel like going with tomorrow.
    I thought you were a confirmed Shield guy?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I thought you were a confirmed Shield guy?
    I really like them, too.

That's the thing. Whatever I find myself carrying on any particular day is my favorite. The bad news is I can't seem to make up my mind. The good news is, I don't need to.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Quote Originally Posted by Big Western View Post
    You nailed it. There is no one "best" pistol, position of holster, type of holster, set of sights, etc. It's what works for you under a particular set of circumstances.
    This is the correct answer.

Although I don't spend a lot of time on shooting forums, the time I am there is sometimes annoying as there are so many hard core Glock fanbois, Sig fanbois, HK fanbois and so on that clutter up the discussions with the same trip. There are others but those three appear to be the worst. With so many of them it is always their brand, their model etc that is the absolute best and other stuff is crap. Always. One prime example was on one forum where the discussion was about good carry gun options. Most responses were good with possible answers for various carry scenarios. But one genius posted that "No matter what the question, the Glock 19 is always the answer". What a tool/fool.

I am thankful that I'm a fan of good handguns, but never a fanboy and any single brand. I own and have owned probably far too many handguns over the decades and found some that are keepers and a bunch that I sold or traded because of my own personal preference. My current collection is an eclectic selection of various brands, models and calibers.

Buy what works for you for your particular purpose, or just because the like the doggone gun. In fact, in about an hour my wife and I are off to Sevierville, Tennessee to do some shopping. It's only a little over an hour from where we live. And I will definitely spend some time in Bud's Gunshop and Smokey Mountain Knife Works, as always. There are only about a hundred yards between the two and SMKW has gone big time into guns and ammo. Bud's has the Walther PPS LE version for $298, a gun I've looked at and liked before. I do not need another single stack 9mm, but one may follow me home. Now is a great time to be buying guns and ammo.

OP, congratulations to your wife for finding something she really likes.
    Last edited by OD*; June 11th, 2019 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Repair quote
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

Litespeed, it's true that we are all different. I do find that the discussions here about why a particular pistol/holster/sights work for someone frequently provides me with insights or observations I may not have thought about, which sends me off in a direction I may not have considered previously. For me, those types of discussions are extremely helpful.
    Wavygravy, AzQkr, OldChap and 2 others like this.

Litespeed, it's true that we are all different. I do find that the discussions here about why a particular pistol/holster/sights work for someone frequently provides me with insights or observations I may not have thought about, which sends me off in a direction I may not have considered previously. For me, those types of discussions are extremely helpful.
    Agree, but that good discussion is not what I'm talking about. I thought I made that clear in my posting, but perhaps not. In fact, I don't see much of that "my choice is the only right one" in this Defensive Carry.com forum. That's why this and one other shooting forum are the only ones I visit daily for a few minutes.

Have a good day.
    NRA Life Member
    Marine Corps Veteran
    Vietnam Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
    Agree, but that good discussion is not what I'm talking about. I thought I made that clear in my posting, but perhaps not. In fact, I don't see much of that "my choice is the only right one" in this Defensive Carry.com forum. That's why this and one other shooting forum are the only ones I visit daily for a few minutes.
    You were clear. I was just trying to further elaborate on the issue, but I was not clear.
    Litespeed likes this.

Last time my wife practiced I laid out 4 pistols: the Ruger 1911 9mm she been carrying, Kahr P9, Shield 9mm, and a Glock 19.
    She never liked Glock 19 before, I had installed Trijicon HD sights on it, "I'm gonna shoot that, its got new sights you can try it if you want".
    Drawing and shooting the Ruger 1911 from purse after not shooting for awhile left something to be desired, the thumb safety slowed her down.
    She tried the Glock 19, liked the sights, said draw from purse was quicker and not having a manual safety to disengage eliminated a variable.
    I emphasized that if she wanted to carry the Glock 19 I already had another, so it would not cause me to "need" to buy a new pistol.
    She shot each pistol several more times and decided that she preferred the Glock 19 for her dedicated purse gun.
    Kahr P9 in fanny pack when she checks on her chickens, or AIWB for the movie theater with worthless bag/purse checks but no metal detectors.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

CDW4ME, you're doing better than I am. Although my wife likes firearms, is a good shot, and strongly supports the 2A, getting her to carry regularly has been a bit of a challenge. She has a G26 and shoots it well, but complained about the weight, despite the fact she is not a tiny woman or out of shape. It was not until we moved to Utah and she saw all the other women who carried that she began to carry on a regular basis. I still can't get her to carry at church and have not been able to get her past off body carry for her daily routine.
    Henry9008, CDW4ME and Old Man like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links