the P226 & P229 what I think

This is a discussion on the P226 & P229 what I think within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; first off let's get the facts out of the way with their stats next a side by side comparison...

Like Tree19Likes
  • 2 Post By subhuman
  • 5 Post By subhuman
  • 2 Post By subhuman
  • 4 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By PPS1980
  • 1 Post By Old Man
  • 1 Post By tnsoldier4fun
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By Bigsteve113

Thread: the P226 & P229 what I think

first off let's get the facts out of the way with their stats

next a side by side comparison

If it needs to be done, do it.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

the mags side x side , both 12 rounds

the guns in my shooting hand

the slight difference in mag wells

what does that difference do? the 229 mag will not go into the 226 magwell and if it did it would not lock in, but the 226 mag will go in and lock into the 229, they have functioned flawlessly in the 229 on the range too

Bigsteve113 and G26Raven like this.

what about carrying them?
    It's a wash between them I carry both in OWB pancakes, Good holsters & good belt , just no difference on my hip, I have also had both in an AIWB holster all day moving, driving sitting....normal daily grind , both work for me in this position too

Sorry the little colt is a camera hog and joined in

this is both Pistols in my Alamo, built for the 229

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

how do they shoot?
    like all clasic P- series Sigs, better than I do and they handle the 40/357 recoil like champs too

the 226 with 357 barrel

the 40 barrel

the 229 .40

Now speaking of shooting between the 2 the 229 just has the better trigger hands down, it is very smooth through the DA stroke and the SA is superb and it has the SRT so the 226 isn't in the same game as the 229 is, butit is a good stock Sig trigger, it's not draggy or crunchy it moves smoothly in DA and breaks cleanly in SA it just seems to lack a little something that my 229 has it's one of those hard to explain feel things that most others picking them up and shooting then wouldn't notice unless they are really shooters, a minimal thing but it's there.

which is better ? lol for me, the 229 just checks everything a little bit better but once again it's a marginal difference and a feel thing, I will put a spring kit and a SRT in the P226 when I get the chance and that should close the gap in the trigger feel between the 2 and make sure it runs smoothly into the future .
    I have about $650 in the 229 and I got a smoking deal on the 226, it had .40 and .357 barrels 7 mags and the case for $609.99 out the door so I grabbed it took it with me lol

If I could only have one of them it would be the P229 but I'm on of those guys lucky enough to own them both
    Old Man and gasmitty like this.

My son's duty weapon was a 229 until his agency switched to Glocks. His only complaint was the weight, not undoable, just noticeable after a long day. I have the 226 MK-25, a very nice gun, but a bit large for what I prefer to carry. It was a birthday gift that he expects to get back one day . . . not too soon, I hope.

Some may complain about Sig quality, claiming if it wasn't of German build, it was crap, but I haven't found that to be true.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I went through the same comparison and settled on the P226 in 357Sig. Carries the same in my opinion, longer sight radius (*even if not by much) and it was decidedly less expensive as a LEO Trade-in. Very nice weapon, particularly in 357Sig.
    Old Man and subhuman like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member
    Good comparison @subhuman . Thanks for taking the time for the pictures and data write up. For me, things got murky as to which was better when the P226 slides became rated for .40 and .357 and the P229 became available in 9mm. A half inch and a few ounces makes a slim difference.
    Kilowatt3 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    My son's duty weapon was a 229 until his agency switched to Glocks. His only complaint was the weight, not undoable, just noticeable after a long day. I have the 226 MK-25, a very nice gun, but a bit large for what I prefer to carry. It was a birthday gift that he expects to get back one day . . . not too soon, I hope.

Some may complain about Sig quality, claiming if it wasn't of German build, it was crap, but I haven't found that to be true.
    Your son's observation about the weight matches mine. My agency switched from the S&W 4043 to the P229 in .40 caliber back in 2002. We've carried them ever since then. I guess it's my age catching up but the weight just seems more noticeable now then it did when we adopted them. We started off with the P229, no rail, DAO and have moved through a couple of versions to what we issue now, the P229R DAK. The county deputies did carry the P226 in .40 cal until this last year, when their agency adopted the Glock 22/23. I highly suspect that both your son's agency and our county sheriff's dept. switched to the Glock because of cost savings, not the weight savings.
    Old Man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tnsoldier4fun View Post
    I highly suspect that both your son's agency and our county sheriff's dept. switched to the Glock because of cost savings, not the weight savings.
    It had more to do with the FBI switching than anything, his agency being a federal one. Monkey see, monkey do.
    Old Man likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I love the P series guns, but to me the DA trigger is heavier than it should be. I haven't sit and compared them, but I suspect all my other DA/SA guns all have lighter DA pulls. I also find the placement of the slide stop and decocker to be the opposite of where I expect them to be, and I inevitably confuse them whenever I shoot my SIGs.

I love both the P226 and the P229, but I'm a little more partial to the p229. My latest love interest is my P227, which is basically a 10+1 .45 ACP P226.
    Old Man likes this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Sponsored Links