Which revolver for carry?

Which revolver for carry?

This is a discussion on Which revolver for carry? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hello all! I am buying my first handgun and am a little torn. I know I want a .357 magnum revolver with a 4 inch ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: Which revolver for carry?

Hello all!

I am buying my first handgun and am a little torn. I know I want a .357 magnum revolver with a 4 inch barrel, as I want to be able to use it for bear/cougar protection while hunting or hiking. I also want to concealed carry it on a daily basis.

I've been looking at the Ruger SP101 in 357 magnum with the 4.2 inch barrel, as it is designed for carry but beefed up to my standards. I've also got my eye on a Smith and Wesson model 19 classic with a 4.25" barrel, as I love the way it looks, would handle recoil better, and has a 6th shot.

I guess what I'm really asking is how much harder would it be to conceal the k frame vs the sp101?

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Brandon
    Last edited by Halvorsenb; June 12th, 2019 at 03:08 PM.

Both would conceal about the same. The S&W might weigh a little more, but a good belt/holster combo will mitigate that.

You might want to look at the 3" SP-101 as an alternative. It conceals better, and the fixed rear sight is more rugged.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

For concealment, I think the biggest issue you will run into will be the differences in the grip, not the frame size differential. If you've got a good sturdy belt and a good sturdy holster, I don't think you'll notice a difference between the two due to the frame size.

If the decision is between these two models, I'd get the Smith for the extra round and probably slightly better trigger, but if you want to avoid printing you'll want to get a different grip for it. The big wood stocks that come on the 19 are beautiful, and will also make concealment very difficult.

I've got a similar S&W (65, which is similar to the 19 but is stainless and has fixed sights), which I carry very frequently. My preferred grips used to be Pachmayr Compacs. However, I recently bought a Pachmayr Gripper and took a Dremel to round off the bottom of the grip, to remove a corner-like edge on the bottom. The Gripper is just a little bit more narrow, and if you round off the bottom it conceals even better than the Compac.

That said, you can't go wrong with the SP101 either. Both are mighty fine revolvers.
    Pete63 and gatorbait51 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Have to agree that if cost isn't an issue I'd go with the S&W, go with smaller grips, and do 3in length for concealment. The loss of muzzle velocity from 4 to 3in will be there but not enough to matter much. A really solid belt is essential to carry concealed, and they don't need to be expensive - just sturdy.
    gatorbait51 and druryj like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

I would get the S&W j-magnum if you want to conceal it, like the 640.
    OD*, Bad Bob, gatorbait51 and 3 others like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I would go with a 4" K-frame S&W six shot or a 4.2" Ruger Match Champion GP100. My woods concealed carry gun in black bear/cougar country is a 4" S&W 29-2 .44 magnum. If I carried it in urban areas, I would load it with .44 special.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I would go with a Ruger 357 magnum SP101 3" myself. My second choice would be a Ruger GP100 3"

Welcome to DC!

Just curious- Why do you NEED the 4" barrel?

I would go with the 2.25" or 3" barrel SP101, loading it with 158 gr JSP or 180 gr hardcast when in the woods and maybe something like a mid-pressure 110 gr - 135 gr JHP for urban use.
    Enjoying my daily viewing of the "love has no labels" SJW clickbait on DC.com.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

When shopping at Walmart, remember that even serial killers need to buy toilet paper.

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Halvorsenb View Post
    Hello all!

I am buying my first handgun and am a little torn. I know I want a .357 magnum revolver with a 4 inch barrel, as I want to be able to use it for bear/cougar protection while hunting or hiking. I also want to concealed carry it on a daily basis.

I've been looking at the Ruger SP101 in 357 magnum with the 4.2 inch barrel, as it is designed for carry but beefed up to my standards. I've also got my eye on a Smith and Wesson model 19 classic with a 4.25" barrel, as I love the way it looks, would handle recoil better, and has a 6th shot.

I guess what I'm really asking is how much harder would it be to conceal the k frame vs the sp101? I appreciate all responses.

Those two in particular? About the same.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I would much rather have 6 shots than 5 shots especially when dangerous 4 legged predators are likely! Both of the guns you mentioned are good choices but I think there are better options especially if you get into the used market. A Ruger Security Six .357 or Speed Six would be close to ideal and are more compact than the GP-100's. If you would consider an auto loader, a Glock 23 is compact and holds 13+1 rds of .40 which should be more than adequate for your needs. I think you will find that a Glock 23 would be easier to conceal than a full size revolver. Just my .02 worth!
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    Welcome to DC!

Just curious- Why do you NEED the 4" barrel?

I would go with the 2.25" or 3" barrel SP101, loading it with 158 gr JSP or 180 gr hardcast when in the woods and maybe something like a mid-pressure 110 gr - 135 gr JHP for urban use.

I am more accurate with a longer sight radius and the longer barrel helps tame the recoil. My concealed carry revolvers are four inch barrels and my open carry revolvers are six to eight inch barrels.
    Second Amendment: The difference between politicians and rulers.
    US Navy - US Army, Retired
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I'd say either the Ruger or the S&W would work well. See if your local range has rentals for you to try if needed. I own firearms from both of them, no complaints. Either one will last you several lifetimes if maintained.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seeker_two View Post
    ...You might want to look at the 3" SP-101 as an alternative. It conceals better, and the fixed rear sight is more rugged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Jed View Post
    ...That said, you can't go wrong with the SP101 either. Both are mighty fine revolvers.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I would go with a Ruger 357 magnum SP101 3" myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by WebleyHunter View Post
    ...Just curious- Why do you NEED the 4" barrel?

I would go with the 2.25" or 3" barrel SP101...
    I believe you would find the M19 noticeably harder & less comfortable to conceal than the SP101. The SP101 is a very 'trim' package, but a whole lot easier and more comfortable to shoot than a .357 J-frame.

I'm heavily biased towards 3" revolvers. Just a personal preference, but I find they are a lot more manageable than a 4". You're not sacrificing too much in terms of power or sight radius compared to a 4". On the other hand, the 3" is dramatically superior to a 2" in those respects.

My vote would be for a 3" SP101. YMMV
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dares not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

I had an SP-101 and never liked it even though it was easy to conceal. I miss my 3" S&W 686. I'd suggest a 686 or a Ruger GP-100.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I would look at the new Colt King Cobra.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links