P365 or S&W 360?

P365 or S&W 360?

This is a discussion on P365 or S&W 360? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Help me decide, folks. I currently have a 360 in 357mag. It's an airweight model, 1.87" bbl (or whatever the actual length is), with short ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree132Likes

Thread: P365 or S&W 360?

VIP Member

P365 or S&W 360?

Help me decide, folks.

I currently have a 360 in 357mag. It's an airweight model, 1.87" bbl (or whatever the actual length is), with short Hogue grip. Very small, easily concealed, and able to fire 357 or 38sp.

I have my eye on a Sig P365. Also very small, easily concealed, higher round capacity (10 v 5), a bit heavier than the 360, presumably much lighter recoil than 360, and better sights.

360 is a beast to shoot, especially full load 357 mag. 38 is ok, but still a bit snappy. The grip is basically a 2-1/2 finger length for me. The allure of this thing is size and weight. It can go in any pocket, and doesn't weight me down. No, it doesn't get shot much at all. It's the quintessential BUG, with occasional primary duties.

For the 365 owners, is selling or trading for a 365 justifiable? Is pocket carry with 365 easily done in normal clothing (jeans, khakis, etc.)? No plans to make it a primary, primary, but to replace the 360 as a backup, travel, or quick grab-and-go gun when I'm not wanting to carry a 1911.

Yes, I need to shoot the 365 first before making a decision, but that isn't so easy around here. I typically go off of advice from others I trust. There's quite a few of you here.
    Old Man likes this.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

Distinguished Member Array CAS_Shooter's Avatar
    A rational and reasonable argument by trustworthy experienced people can be made for either choice.

Both are fine firearms. Both are carried by many well informed people. Both will get the job done if the projectile lands in a vital area. The choice between them seems to come down to the difference in features and how important those differences are to you. If twice as many rounds count, then the choice is simple. If the simplicity of a wheel gun matters most, the choice is simple.

The pocket carry question seems to me to be the easiest to quantify in objective ways. I own both a P365 and an airweight 38sp. In normal, everyday, non purpose specific pants, I would not carry my P365 in the pocket. Just to bulky. But then, when I read what some folks put in their pockets, I am both amazed and reminded that one man's pocketable gun is another man's never gonna happen.

I carry and prefer to shoot the P365 over my airweight. I like having more rounds and also prefer having sights I can see in the dark. Those are important to me. Still, it does not take away from the features that the airweight has over the P365.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CAS_Shooter View Post
    A rational and reasonable argument by trustworthy experienced people can be made for either choice.

Both are fine firearms. Both are carried by many well informed people. Both will get the job done if the projectile lands in a vital area. The choice between them seems to come down to the difference in features and how important those differences are to you. If twice as many rounds count, then the choice is simple. If the simplicity of a wheel gun matters most, the choice is simple.

The pocket carry question seems to me to be the easiest to quantify in objective ways. I own both a P365 and an airweight 38sp. In normal, everyday, non purpose specific pants, I would not carry my P365 in the pocket. Just to bulky. But then, when I read what some folks put in their pockets, I am both amazed and reminded that one man's pocketable gun is another man's never gonna happen.

I carry and prefer to shoot the P365 over my airweight. I like having more rounds and also prefer having sights I can see in the dark. Those are important to me. Still, it does not take away from the features that the airweight has over the P365.
    Good to see an owner of both commenting.

Size difference for pocket carry seems to be the biggest issue.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I own a P365ms and used to own an Airweight 38sp. Wife and I both hated shooting the Airweight. You do need to shoot the P365. I absolutely love mine, especially after adding a Hogue grip.
    Easiest to carry - Airweight (but I do pocket carry the P365)
    Sights - P365 not even close
    Ease to shoot/accuracy - P365 my a country mile
    Capacity - P365 x2

You said that you don't shoot the S&W much. I'll bet you a cold beer that you will shoot the P365 often and enjoy it.
    .................................................. ............
    SIG P365, Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP ll, S&W M&P 15; Wife's: Sig P238, Rossi 38 Special, Remington 11-87 20G

My pockets are too small for the 365. Even my pants that have big pockets donít work. But I didnít buy it for pocket carry.
    deadguy and Wavygravy like this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    I own a P365ms and used to own an Airweight 38sp. Wife and I both hated shooting the Airweight. You do need to shoot the P365. I absolutely love mine, especially after adding a Hogue grip.
    Easiest to carry - Airweight (but I do pocket carry the P365)
    Sights - P365 not even close
    Ease to shoot/accuracy - P365 my a country mile
    Capacity - P365 x2

You said that you don't shoot the S&W much. I'll bet you a cold beer that you will shoot the P365 often and enjoy it.
    I have always gotten rid of guns I don't shoot, but kept the 360 due to the brutality of shooting 158gr, or even 125gr .357 loads in it. It's made to shoot .357, so that's what I do.

If i do this and regret it down the road, 360s in 38sp are easy to find. For .357, if I go back to it, would be better suited for a nice Model 27.
    africanintexas likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Struckat View Post
    My pockets are too small for the 365. Even my pants that have big pockets donít work. But I didnít buy it for pocket carry.
    I'm surprised to read this. Yesterday, I practiced drawing from the front pocket of my Wrangler Relaxed Fit jeans. Shot 60 rounds...draw, 2 rounds, re-holster. That's 30 repetitions. DeSantis holster stayed in place and the pistol never snagged coming out. No issues of any type.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: My LCPii and the Airweight would certainly come out smoother. The P365 is a tighter fit but certainly doable without issues.
    SIG P365, Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP ll, S&W M&P 15; Wife's: Sig P238, Rossi 38 Special, Remington 11-87 20G

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    I'm surprised to read this. Yesterday, I practiced drawing from the front pocket of my Wrangler Relaxed Fit jeans. Shot 60 rounds...draw, 2 rounds, re-holster. That's 30 repetitions. DeSantis holster stayed in place and the pistol never snagged coming out. No issues of any type.

EDIT TO CLARIFY: My LCPii and the Airweight would certainly come out smoother. The P365 is a tighter fit but certainly doable without issues.
    With pocket carry, do you feel the difference of the round cylinder putting pressure on a small area of your leg vs the flat profile of the 365?

I'm trying to look at all angles.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

deadguy, you need to try putting a 365 into a pocket of the pants you wear. It all depends on the type of pants you wear, the size of your hand, and the type of holster you will use for pocket carry. I wanted to pocket carry a Glock 43, which is about the same size as a 365. It did not work for me, so for pocket carry I bought a Sig P938, which is substantially smaller. Even that does not work in some pockets of the same style pants (manufacturers don't make all pockets of the same style pants exactly the same size). My wife now has a P365 and it's a great pistol, but it's not going to work in my pockets either.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    deadguy, you need to try putting a 365 into a pocket of the pants you wear. It all depends on the type of pants you wear, the size of your hand, and the type of holster you will use for pocket carry. I wanted to pocket carry a Glock 43, which is about the same size as a 365. It did not work for me, so for pocket carry I bought a Sig P938, which is substantially smaller. Even that does not work in some pockets of the same style pants (manufacturers don't make all pockets of the same style pants exactly the same size). My wife now has a P365 and it's a great pistol, but it's not going to work in my pockets either.
    I don't know how anyone makes a gun the size of a P365 a pants pocket gun. The biggest gun I can effectively pants pocket carry is a Pico and then with a Desantis nemisis its still like a wad of napkins in my pocket and prints like crazy so only a super thin Kydex works for me. A j frame feels like I have a baseball in my pocket although it makes a great jacket pocket gun. Then again I hate a lot of stuff in pockets to begin with. I carry a very small front pocket wallet about the size of a credit card and a thin clip knife, everything else goes on my belt.

Forester58, I only pocket carry the Sig P938 when I absolutely have no other choice. Yes, you can tell I have something in my pocket, but it doesn't exactly look like a gun and nobody has ever asked me if that was a gun in my pocket (or if I was just happy to see them).
    Hatchee, deadguy and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    If something is important enough, you will find a way. If it's not, you will find an excuse.

If you are asked to be the hero, be the hero.

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I don't know how anyone makes a gun the size of a P365 a pants pocket gun. The biggest gun I can effectively pants pocket carry is a Pico and then with a Desantis nemisis its still like a wad of napkins in my pocket and prints like crazy so only a super thin Kydex works for me. A j frame feels like I have a baseball in my pocket although it makes a great jacket pocket gun. Then again I hate a lot of stuff in pockets to begin with. I carry a very small front pocket wallet about the size of a credit card and a thin clip knife, everything else goes on my belt.
    +2 here. Even with a thin kydex front pocket holster my little LCPII prints. I can't imagine front pocket carrying a bigger semi or any J-frame.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    With pocket carry, do you feel the difference of the round cylinder putting pressure on a small area of your leg vs the flat profile of the 365?

I'm trying to look at all angles.
    Only carried the S&W 2-3 times so not enough experience to comment intelligently. The P365 is a snug (not tight) fit. I've carried it twice into town...Lowes, WalMart then a restaurant. Comfortable but certainly larger than my LCPii. I'm NOT saying that it is an ideal pocket carry. At some point, I may go AIWB. Just pointing out that it is possible.
    deadguy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Local shop should allow me to try that. Good advice.

I wear a suit 5-7 days a week, and when out of one, it's usually regular shorts, and on occasion, cargo style shorts, or jeans all with untucked shirts. I detest a tucked in shirt when not dressed for work. Suit concealment is a no brainer. Cargo shorts would accomodate the 365 easily. Jeans, which out of all my clothing choices, are worn the least. However, with long shirt tails, pocket concealment isn't an issue as far as the printing goes. Not arguing anyone's point. Just putting my thoughts out there. You folks bring up excellent points to consider.

I feel the same regarding a "wad of napkins" with the 360 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster. Really, they are too thick for what they are designed for.

What really irritates me with carrying anything heavier than a wallet in the lower pocket of cargo shorts is the banging around against my leg. 365 would be heavier than the 360 for sure, and most likely drive me nuts. However, with either, it's a matter of compromise in carrying a self defense weapon.

@deadguy You already know that you're getting one!! Report back after your first 200 rounds to let us all know how much you love it!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links