Walther Q5 Match and Sig P365 range report

This is a discussion on Walther Q5 Match and Sig P365 range report within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I picked up a Q5 Match earlier this week, and planned a range outing today for a test run. Trijicon RMR and Inforce APL mounted ...

Like Tree16Likes
  • 9 Post By deadguy
  • 1 Post By gqllc007
  • 1 Post By gnius
  • 1 Post By mhl6493
  • 1 Post By deadguy
  • 1 Post By gqllc007
  • 1 Post By gqllc007
  • 1 Post By MMinSC

Thread: Walther Q5 Match and Sig P365 range report

VIP Member

I picked up a Q5 Match earlier this week, and planned a range outing today for a test run. Trijicon RMR and Inforce APL mounted and ready to go.

While surfing different forums in the last couple weeks debating which 9mm to buy, lots of folks talked about the Sig P365. I read a good bit about them, and was able to look at one when I picked up the Q5. They piqued my interest to the point I have been considering replacing my S&W 360 357mag with one. There is another thread here on that topic if interested in that discussion. I just needed to shoot one to help with my decision. Well, the range had one for rent.

A little background. I haven't fired a polymer striker fired 9mm in a long time, and the last polymer fired was a G29 with hot 10mm loads. The 9mm was a year or two prior, and was a G17. On to the reason you're reading this.

Q5 - Solid feel in the hand, and extremely well balanced with a loaded mag. Combo target with two silhouettes at bottom and three bullseye targets at top was set at around 30 feet, and this is where I dialed in the RMR. It took about 15 rounds to get it right for me (minute of BG accurate), and then I was ready to shoot for accuracy. While zeroing the RDS, I paid attention to trigger pull, muzzle flip and recoil. Trigger is fantastic. Not a 1911, which I am used to, but smooth and consistent. Muzzle flipped a bit more than I expected, but overall recoil was tame. This is the target, a full 15rd mag, after zeroing in the RDS. Seated, forearms on the bench, and per range rules, one second between shots. All 15 shots are there. I blame the flyer on shakey caffeine hands.

From that point on, I just tried to enjoy it, and I did.

P365 - after holding the Q5, this gun is tiny. Very tiny. However, it's a good fit for a gun this small, and with the 10rd mag provided, there is enough of my hand on it to manage it well enough. The 12rd mag would most likely be a better fit. Good balance, and the night sights were easy to see indoors.

I used the first 10 rounds to learn the POA vs POI at 25'. Recoil is a bit snappier than the larger Q5, trigger is much better than I expected, and muzzle flip, believe it or not, was less than the Q5, presumably due to the barrel being almost 2" shorter, and lighter. Very pleased with how it shot.

Again, seated with forearms on the bench, 2nd 10 rounds were for accuracy. I had figured out POI with sight picture, and here is the result. You see 11 holes, and one of the fliers on the left was from the sighting in process of the Q5. It was that far off at the start.

Yeah, surprised me as well. The 365 is a dang good shooter in a small package.

I love the RDS setup on a handgun after trying it out today. It will take more range time to dial in my skills with it, and also to zero it in a bit more when I have time. Sig is releasing the 365XL this month which is a bit larger than the 365, and has an optic mount. I like that option. However, it's a difficult decision based on the target results using the irons.

I can vouch for both of these guns, and most likely will end up with either the 365 or 365XL in the near future.
    Last edited by deadguy; June 14th, 2019 at 01:48 PM.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

Very nice write up. I shot the Q5 and also noticed more muzzle flip than I expected. I ended up with the Sig X5 and trijicon rmr 02
    deadguy likes this.

I agree about the muzzle flip. I have the 5" PPQ and I also feel like the flip is excessive and certainly more pronounced than my M&P shield.
    deadguy likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gqllc007 View Post
    Very nice write up. I shot the Q5 and also noticed more muzzle flip than I expected. I ended up with the Sig X5 and trijicon rmr 02
    How do you like the X5?
    Quote Originally Posted by gnius View Post
    I agree about the muzzle flip. I have the 5" PPQ and I also feel like the flip is excessive and certainly more pronounced than my M&P shield.
    Good to see I wasn't imagining it.

Thanks for the write up, DeadGuy. I keep hearing about these p365's. I'm just going to have to try one of these out!
    deadguy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mhl6493 View Post
    Thanks for the write up, DeadGuy. I keep hearing about these p365's. I'm just going to have to try one of these out!
    Yes, sir. I hope you get to soon.
    mhl6493 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    How do you like the X5?

Good to see I wasn't imagining it.
    I really Like the X5. I shoot it with 147gr and I have a Sig Romeo on it...Great shooting pistol....very accurate
    MMinSC likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gqllc007 View Post
    I really Like the X5. I shoot it with 147gr and I have a Sig Romeo on it...Great shooting pistol....very accurate
    Romeo perform well? I am looking at the 365 XL with the optic mount, and if the Romeo line is the only optic that will fit, i'm hoping it's worth it.

Romeo perform well? I am looking at the 365 XL with the optic mount, and if the Romeo line is the only optic that will fit, i'm hoping it's worth it.
    I havent put it through anything too severe so long term I can't answer that honestly
    deadguy likes this.

The 365XL will supposedly fit the Shield/J-point sight as well as the Romeo. The Romeo is the Romeo Zero, which is not out yet. The regular Romeo line is too large for the thin gun. J-Points are popular with single stacks because of the thin profile and very light weight. Some guns do not require suppressor height sights with the J-Point because it sits so low. I guess the Romeo Zero will be similar in size/weight.
    deadguy likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

Sponsored Links