Sig P 938 or Kimber Micro 9

This is a discussion on Sig P 938 or Kimber Micro 9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Have decided on one or the other for part-time summer carry. Have fondled both but not shot either. Want to hear from owners of either ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Sig P 938 or Kimber Micro 9

Have decided on one or the other for part-time summer carry. Have fondled both but not shot either. Want to hear from owners of either one positive or negative. Have found little “real world” info on either.
    Help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Henry9008, msgt/ret and DZUS like this.

I have the Micro-9, and have shot both. The 938, with the oversized Hogue grips, has a bit less felt recoil than the Kimber, but even with that, I was more accurate with the Kimber. I believe the micro-9 is a bit more slender than the P938 with the oversized grips, though. That, and the fact that the Micro-9 CSE was on sale at Cabela's (with the crimson trace lasergrips) steered me toward the Kimber.

Now the downside.
    I don't like the way the Kimber feeds. Spring pressure in the magazines (I have the 7-round magazines) is a bit tight, and every now and then, it'll give me a double-feed and I have to stop and clear that. Chambering a round on a full magazine is also problematic, for the same reason. When I eject the magazine to top it off, often the next round will come tumbling out. For that reason, I stopped carrying it, and now my tiny carry is the P365. If I had it to do over again, I'd probably go for the 938. One thing I haven't tried, however, is going to the 6-round magazines to see if they feed any better.

I’ve got one of each. They weigh the same, shoot the same, use the same holsters... Basically the same guns, though the magazines are slightly different. The 938 has an ambidextrous thumb safety, the Kimber does not (at least that’s the case with mine). Both have run 100% reliably for me after a few initial hiccups when brand new.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Sig Talk has an entire subforum on just the P238/P938 at https://sigtalk.com/p238-p938-pistol/

I carried a P938 SAS for quite a while. The only issue I had with it was it didn't seem to like being loaded +1 with JHP ammo. I went as far as bidding and winning a Micro 9 on GB. When it arrived at my FFL I found it really didn't appear to offer anything the 938 didn't. Other than the aforementioned +1 issue the P938 had been totally reliable. So, I asked the FFL to sell it on consignment which he did. I got a great deal on my auction, so when all was said and done, I think my trigger finger on the GB auction cost me about $15 after the FFL took his 10% cut.

I never had a problem with my P938, but some owners have reported problems with the two piece guide rod coming unscrewed. It is an easy fix with either Locktite or a one piece after market guide rod. But mine just never got loose.
    ninety_caliber and Gabill like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I have had the 938 for six years now. I absolutely love it for very easy pocket carry with the six round mag. AIWB with the seven round mag is also effortless and I usually carry it that way to not jam up my pockets.

Absolutely reliable since day one. I like that it comes stock with night sights. For such a small little gun, it shoots very nice. Feels like shooting a larger pistol so not only do I practice, but I enjoy shooting it. That was a nice surprise and not something I expected just based on the stats.

I have no experience with the Kimber equivalent but I imagine it is pretty much the same. I like Sig's night sights, so I would personally go that direction.

The P365 was obviously not available back when I bought the P938. I dunno, shopping today might create a dilemma for me. I kinda want the 365 but that would make my beloved 938 obsolete to gain 3 more rounds. I guess I would probably stick with a 938 still. It is not often you can get a gun that is metal and SAO yet so easy and light to carry. Mostly for something metal(even though it is alloy) and SAO you have to go much heavier/larger.
    ninety_caliber likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

I'm about 60 days and a few hundred rounds into my my Micro 9. After comparing to the P938, I found it felt better from all aspects, but not a huge difference. It's a delight to carry, and 1911-ish enough that controls and pointing are very familiar, and muscle memory transfers from full scale Kimber and Springfield. The mags are a little wonky, but seem to be running fine post-break-in. It's pretty comfortable to shoot, somewhat of a surprise for me. Mine has only single side safety, but my wife's Micro 9 has the ambi. I find my big paw's trigger finger first knuckle can engage the safety with heavier recoiling rounds.

Frankly, i regard them as pretty comparable handguns, and darned near equal.
    ninety_caliber and msgt/ret like this.
    Still Clingin'

Never owned or shot the Kimber, Carried a 938 in my front pocket for 3 years no issues, sold it to get something else. ( I tend to do that a lot). The only thing I can say about the Sig 938 is that it is more accurate than a pistol that size has a right to be, when you do your part.

I had a P938 SAS a couple of years ago. I never really warmed up to it and sold it after about 8 months and somewhere in the neighborhood of 1500 rounds. It was snappy and hard to shoot well, and I don't think it ever went more than 200 rounds without a feed failure.

As far as the Kimbers, I always liked the looks of them, but I shied away because of all the negative comments I read about them. Obviously, on the Internet you're going to read negative comments about any gun, and you have to take them with a grain of salt, but it's always seemed like Kimbers get a higher percentage of negative comments than pretty much any other "quality" brand. But I've never owned one, so you can take this with a grain of salt, too.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MMinSC View Post
    The P365 was obviously not available back when I bought the P938. I dunno, shopping today might create a dilemma for me. I kinda want the 365 but that would make my beloved 938 obsolete to gain 3 more rounds. I guess I would probably stick with a 938 still. It is not often you can get a gun that is metal and SAO yet so easy and light to carry. Mostly for something metal(even though it is alloy) and SAO you have to go much heavier/larger.
    I went from the P938 with a 7 round mag (no +1) to a 12 + 1 with the P365. So for me it was almost a 50% increase in ammo at only a marginally heavier gun of the same size as the 938. The 938 now is my backup should for some reason the 365 be out of service.
    ninety_caliber and DZUS like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I have a P938 that I have had for about 3 years. I pocket carry it usually twice a week. Very accurate and nice pistol. I switched out the original rubber grips for G10 grips which makes it much easier to grab and pull it out of my pocket. I carry it in a Alabama holster Kydex holster.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    You might also consider the Springfield 911 9mm. I haven't held one in my hand, but I'd like to.

Quote Originally Posted by spclopr8tr View Post
    I went from the P938 with a 7 round mag (no +1) to a 12 + 1 with the P365. So for me it was almost a 50% increase in ammo at only a marginally heavier gun of the same size as the 938. The 938 now is my backup should for some reason the 365 be out of service.
    Yeah, but I wouldn't pocket carry the 365 with 12+1. I would only use the 10+1 for that so it would still be only 3 extra rounds for me.

If I was going to AIWB only, then I might as well look into the 365XL. Then I would be 15+1 that is way thinner and overall smaller than anything I have in that category. I may have just talked myself into it actually.
    DZUS likes this.
    It takes a Viking to raze a village.

I bought my Sig 938 in 2013 and has been carried very often by me. The gun has been absolutely flawless from day one. Every time I go to the range someone makes a comment on how accrurate this little gun is and I always smile and say "it's the Indian not the arrow". But the gun really does enable me to shoot very accurately for some reason.

The negatives I find are that the recoil spring is an absolute bear to put back in place after cleaning, and secondly I don't care for the ambidextrous safety. I'd rather just have a single safety on the left side of the gun, but, I really like that you can rack the slide with the safety engaged.

I owned a 938 for about 3 months and put about 500 rounds through it. Just a couple of my observations.
    The thumb safety is a PITA to disengage/engage. It is a very snappy gun (no I'm not recoil sensitive) especially with plus p ammo. The break down is no fun and lining the pin up and replaceing the spring (its not captured) is a job. The 7 round mag made it better but it never fit my hand well. Now some good things. It was EXTREMELY easy to shoot accurately. 4 inch groups @ 25 yards free hand was no trouble. The sights were great (Siglite) Carried in a pocket easy enough, although the weight was more than a 380 lcp. On a belt you never knew it was there. And yes the mags are funny as in very tight to load and the top round will slide forward. I could always top mine to plus 1 capacity w/o any trouble. But I never had 1 malfunction in all the rounds I shot (500 + with 10% being plus p)
    Main reason a sold / traded it was the thumb safety didn't disengage quickly and easily during practice and I could only imagine that being multiplied under stess and pressure. Also it didn't come out of a pocket smoothly for me. The "tang/ beavertail" and hammer hung up on everything. Best add-on was a set of Hougue rubber grips. Ruled out pocket carry but made shooting much more enjoyable. Good luck in your search.

BTW I have no experience or comparison to the Kimber micro series. Never saw the value for the cost compared to Sig in that line and I read WAY more complaints / disappointment with Kimber than Sig. I made my decision from that.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

I have a 938 and love it. It is very accurate, easy to carry, and easy to shoot. That said, as someone mentioned, I also had the two piece guide rod come apart on me, thankfully while at the range and NOT in a critical situation. I take a little extra care when field stripping and cleaning now, making sure the guide rod is tightly screwed together. (I did have to order a new one because it must have flown downrange...never found it). All of the above said, for everyday carry, I prefer my 365ms. Similar size, similar weight, crisp and easy to use manual safety, and 12+1. Re: the 938, I have never had any +1 issues.

I will add that I do not own nor have I ever shot a micro 9...but if they shoot a sweetly as my Ultracarry, I’m sure it is also a worthy firearm.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links