Would 1 Failure to Extract in first 200 rounds of new gun concern you at all? - Page 3

Would 1 Failure to Extract in first 200 rounds of new gun concern you at all?

This is a discussion on Would 1 Failure to Extract in first 200 rounds of new gun concern you at all? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by patkelly4370 I recall reading a post, possibly on here, where they stated (paraphrasing) "if I encounter one failure, that firearm gets sold ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Would 1 Failure to Extract in first 200 rounds of new gun concern you at all?

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    I recall reading a post, possibly on here, where they stated (paraphrasing) "if I encounter one failure, that firearm gets sold and I will not buy from that manufacturer again".

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Someone's being "dramatic".
    mhl6493 likes this.

Lead Moderator
    Would it concern me?

No.

You had over 200 rounds in the gun. Carbon fouling alone could be a reason for the FTE.

Most gun companies recommend a 200 round break-in period, some recommend 300.

Over the years I've bought several guns cheap because the owner ignored the recommended break-in period as outlined by the manufacturer. Some times its ammo related and simply switching to different ammo takes care of any issues.

It's a new gun. The fact that you put 200 rounds through it without any failures I'd say was a pretty good start.
    Universal Background Checks...the next step towards registration and confiscation.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    https://www.facebook.com/baileysigna...?ref=bookmarks

Quote Originally Posted by mhl6493 View Post
    So this past week I had a chance to pick up a Sig p229 Legion in 9mm. It turned out to be just sufficiently smaller than my p226 Legion to justify the expense as a potential carry gun. Took it to the range today, shot 205 rounds of mostly 124 gr Speer Lawman, some 115 gr Federal, and 1 mag of 124 +p Federal HST. A very enjoyable day shooting!

I did have 1 failure to extract. Spent casing remained in the barrel, preventing the next round from feeding. Otherwise, no issues at all. Honestly wasnít paying close enough attention to know which ammo it happened with, except I know it wasnít the HST.

If there were no other issues in that many rounds, would that 1 FTE concern you at all on a new gun?
    Give the gun a thorough cleaning and proper lubrication, and then a few hundred more rounds. Assuming all goes perfectly, your confidence in the gun's reliability should be fine.
    Rockymonster and mhl6493 like this.
    Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Iíve had just about all the smaller and some bigger semi autoís and the only ones I never had any issues with are my Glocks. Do I just have bad luck or am I just a Glock fan boy
    G-man* and mhl6493 like this.

What I find interesting is the trend for having to have x number of rounds thru a gun before it was deemed good to carry.

And what I remember is that before the Glock pistol, it was considered the norm for a semi auto to have a hang up every now and then during the course of fire.

Now, just about every polymer pistol is on equal footing and extremely reliable.

But what a lot of Glock haters donít remember, or werenít around to remember is it was Glock that set the standard for reliability that we now enjoy.
    mhl6493 and Rockymonster like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    What I find interesting is the trend for having to have x number of rounds thru a gun before it was deemed good to carry.

And what I remember is that before the Glock pistol, it was considered the norm for a semi auto to have a hang up every now and then during the course of fire.

Now, just about every polymer pistol is on equal footing and extremely reliable.

But what a lot of Glock haters donít remember, or werenít around to remember is it was Glock that set the standard for reliability that we now enjoy.
    I turned 50 this year, but only got into shooting about 5 years ago. Got a late start. So I was around when the Glock revolution hit, but not being into shooting then, I donít think Iíll ever be able to fully appreciate how it changed the landscape completely. Iíll sure never bad mouth them.
    G-man* likes this.

I have had the same type of fte failure on most of my semiautos from time to time. I attribute it to cheap ammo, or a loose piece of carbon on the extractor. It doesnít happen on a clean gun in the first 50 rounds so I make sure to clean the extractor before carrying.
    mhl6493 likes this.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

No, not at all.
    mhl6493 likes this.

If its a quality firearm, it wouldnt worry me. Id shoot it quite a bit more before carrying it, but I'd give it the benefit of the doubt. The P229 is a well known firearm with a long history of service. Now if this were a gun known for poor quality, like a Hi Point or other junker gun, or an older gun, or a style of gun that I've personally seen lots of problems with *cough1911cough*, id be a bit more skeptical.
    mhl6493 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    Iíve had just about all the smaller and some bigger semi autoís and the only ones I never had any issues with are my Glocks. Do I just have bad luck or am I just a Glock fan boy
    Definitely luck. I had a Glock 26 that was the least reliable gun I have ever held in my hand and hurled brass at my face hard enough to hurt, and a G36 that had somewhat consistent issues with FTE. Their perfection is vastly overrated.

I can fix this gun for you. Send it to me. I run thousands rounds through it per year for two years. Break-in a new carry holster. Carry it for a couple of years until the gun is trained as a reliable SD carry gun. Then, I will return it to you in good shape.

My address is just a few blocks of OldChap's. We can take turns with custody so that the gun will behave for different owners.

We good?
    graydude and mhl6493 like this.
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post
    I can fix this gun for you. Send it to me. I run thousands rounds through it per year for two years. Break-in a new carry holster. Carry it for a couple of years until the gun is trained as a reliable SD carry gun. Then, I will return it to you in good shape.

My address is just a few blocks of OldChap's. We can take turns with custody so that the gun will behave for different owners.

We good?
    You offer this training service without charging for room & board or feeding? That's super generous!
    mhl6493 likes this.
    Ride hard, shoot straight, always speak the truth

When you have an FTE in a 200-round gunfight, get back to us again.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by graydude View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGunTX View Post

We good?
    You offer this training service without charging for room & board or feeding? That's super generous!
    It is my civic duty!! Oh, I also send Christmas cards.
    graydude and mhl6493 like this.
    Annoy a Liberal! Be Conservative and Live within Your Means!

Epstein Did Not Kill Himself!!

Would I be concerned?

Yes, very much so.
    Because I carry all of my guns at one time or another.

I buy only the best but it begins even before I buy a pistol. I research it exhaustively.
    Not that I take everything I read to heart, if EVERYONE experiences difficulties that they have to work out, I simply avoid that particular model.
    An example here would be a Kimber Solo. I do understand that thousands of posters will tell me that theirs is flawless, but that's not the general opinion of them. Why think I will have a good experience?

I will buy a quality used pistol on the word of the seller. Strangely, I have been doing this for 45 years and have never been dealt a lemon. I have had a couple of sellers offer that "I might have to tune the extractor" or "it should be fine with a new magazine"
    I'll just thank them for their honesty and let somebody else sort it out.

Now, when I say that I'm concerned about a malfunction on a new pistol it doesn't mean that I'm ready to trash it. It simply means that before I can carry it, I'll have to make sure that it is reliable......and I would be highly pizzed and very disappointed.
    Like I said, I do my homework first. I prepare a new pistol before going to the range. I also have a real good idea of the best feeding and most reliable RANGE ammo to do the breakin with. Some pistols might be a little particular about JHP defensive ammo but they should all feed FMJ ball ammo without hic-cup.

Funny story-
    I bought a new Ruger EC9s for 200 bucks when they first came out. I had the idea of a lightweight pocket gun for summertime carry.
    Well, I'm over at my partner's ranch and he is watching me. After about 6 trouble free mags he says he wants the pistol and asks me if maybe we can work out a deal.
    I told him what I had into the Ruger and he whipped out his wallet and the deal was done.

He goes to his pick up and brings out a gallon plastic baggie filled with "gun show ammo". I'm busy shooting something else while he is loading up the two mags for the EC9.
    The gun jams solid after the first round. He clears the jam and then it jams again.
    All I can hear now with my ear muffs on is a string of cussing that would make a sailor blush and then the pistol is flying through the air, headed for the Guadalupe River.
    You think he was a little "concerned"?

I reached over on the shooting bench and dumped his "gun show ammo" out.....about half of it was .380.

It took me an hour to find that Ruger in the weeds.
    He carries it everyday now.
    mhl6493 likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links