Would 1 Failure to Extract in first 200 rounds of new gun concern you at all? - Page 4

Would 1 Failure to Extract in first 200 rounds of new gun concern you at all?

This is a discussion on Would 1 Failure to Extract in first 200 rounds of new gun concern you at all? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by drmordo Nagging uncertainty about issues like this is why I gradually transitioned to carrying a revolver. Yep, revolvers never fail..........

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Like Tree150Likes

Thread: Would 1 Failure to Extract in first 200 rounds of new gun concern you at all?

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    Nagging uncertainty about issues like this is why I gradually transitioned to carrying a revolver.
    Yep, revolvers never fail.......
    Holster likes this.

It wouldn't bother me. My carry gun fails a lot, unless I use the ammo I carry in it, which has never failed in the gun. It has been 100 percent reliable with my carry ammo, but it hates range ammo. I'm okay with that.
    G-man* and mhl6493 like this.

I donít worry too much about an occasional hang up. If you know your clearing techniques, you will have no problem with it.
    OD*, mhl6493 and PhaedrusIV like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.Ē
    -Jeff Cooper

ď Looking around doesnít cost you anything; and itís a healthy habitĒ
    -Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array druryj's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I donít worry too much about an occasional hang up. If you know your clearing techniques, you will have no problem with it.
    Until you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    mhl6493 likes this.

Sounds like you solved your problem in knowing it was the ammo that you were using. I would inspect the pistol and first chance I had run another couple hundred rounds through it.
    mhl6493 likes this.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

One failure demands a good cleaning and inspection, but would not overly concern me. The second one would.
    mhl6493 likes this.

Wouldn't concern me none. That's pretty much about the norm for me when I'm breaking in a new pistol. Very few have made it through the "break in period" without some sort of hang up. Now if it continues after what I consider to be "should be broken in by now", then it goes back to the mothership and tried again or thrown into the "range use only" bag.
    mhl6493 likes this.

In my book: if the failure is in sig, it is not acceptable. Sigs as far as I know are all amnufactured to the tolerances not requiring "break in". That is, the geometry that comes to you from the production line is not "too tight", just right for reliable operation. The same can be said about several other manufacturers, trying to list ones I am sure about: Heckler and Koch, Grand Power K100, Russian AK-47, Makarov (I can be sure only about those made some 20 years ago, don't know about those made recently). Kel-Tec probably will not need "break-in".
    I can not say the same with certainty about Beretta. Even if everybody knows otherwise. Beretta doesn't like to run dirty and not oiled. That is why I for one am staying away from berettas.
    I'm sure others will if not already did expand both lists.
    mhl6493 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I fear that I would consciously note an early failure such as this in the back of my mind. I'd work with the gun as an exercise of the shooting hobby to see if it would further behave itself. I could not just dismiss it from my mind. I'm a bit OCD about failures and the why behind them. I gotta know!

I've worked with some newly purchased automatics that were balky and was willing to work the kinks out of them and use them, but only if the kinks were successfully banished.

I'm not really accustomed to handguns that don't unfailingly work in use. If one does then I become very observant. I expect a lot out of my "usin' guns." I will always retain a small niggling doubt about an automatic, any automatic. I'll carry certain proven automatics and relish doing so, however the automatic will never enjoy my complete trust in the same way that the revolver does. "Tap, rack, bang" is fine and all that, and I can do it and could practice to be even more adept. It's not normal and not an appealing way to have to run a handgun. It's not the way the semi-automatic pistol is designed to operate. It's also far from an effective way to have to use a handgun in an emergency, yet it's tossed about in firearms forum parlance with a certain flippancy as some kind of casual cure-all for auto-pistol ills. Some seem to accept function failures of their chosen side arms to an extent that is surprising. Well ... they do if what I'm reading on forums accurately reflects attitudes.

I don't do high-volume combat-style competition with pistols so perhaps my view is a bit narrow. I may on occasion shoot high volumes of ammunition on a range trip though and have always done "heavy-duty" plinking afield. I still expect all of the handguns to work, every time, all the time.

Nothing but ruminating pontification of personal opinion spouted off here.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Update: Was able to take the p229 back to the range today. Shot 126 rounds of Speer Lawman 124 gr. Had one failure to eject again. But still only one.

I did some digging, and I found someone else whose Sig p229 Legion had issues with the Lawman ammo for some reason. Iím going to try some additional ammo brands in coming weeks to see if that makes a difference. So Iím not panicking yet! Great results so far other than this one issue.
    msgt/ret and SmoothJazz like this.

"if I encounter one failure, that firearm gets sold and I will not buy from that manufacturer again".
    Quote Originally Posted by mhl6493 View Post
    Seems as though I saw that as well. Definitely sounds a bit extreme to me.
    Doesn't seem extreme by today's standards. At least that requires 1st hand experience. Most people have never seen a P365 fail first hand, but will tell you with authority that the P365 is a dumpster fire.

Quote Originally Posted by mhl6493 View Post
    Update: Was able to take the p229 back to the range today. Shot 126 rounds of Speer Lawman 124 gr. Had one failure to eject again. But still only one.

I did some digging, and I found someone else whose Sig p229 Legion had issues with the Lawman ammo for some reason. Iím going to try some additional ammo brands in coming weeks to see if that makes a difference. So Iím not panicking yet! Great results so far other than this one issue.
    Iíve had a couple of FTEs with Blazer Brass in the past few months. I shoot a variety of brands, but no problems with the others. It could be random but it might be the design of the rim on inexpensive CCI brass. I examined the brass that failed to eject but nothing obvious was wrong. So who knows.

Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by SmoothJazz View Post
    Iíve had a couple of FTEs with Blazer Brass in the past few months. I shoot a variety of brands, but no problems with the others. It could be random but it might be the design of the rim on inexpensive CCI brass. I examined the brass that failed to eject but nothing obvious was wrong. So who knows.

Yeah, this time I actually thought to check the brass after the failure, and I didnít notice anything unusual either.

Senior Member Array lordhamster's Avatar
    I've read that the all metal sigs can be a bit persnickety if not properly lubed. They seem to like grease better than just oil for the metal on metal contact points. I'd look into this as well.
    mhl6493 likes this.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Sponsored Links