Kimber K6s not for Pocket Carry

This is a discussion on Kimber K6s not for Pocket Carry within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have been carrying my Kimber K6s the last two days using front pocket carry with a El Paso Saddlery Pocket Max Horsehide holster while ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Kimber K6s not for Pocket Carry

Distinguished Member

I have been carrying my Kimber K6s the last two days using front pocket carry with a El Paso Saddlery Pocket Max Horsehide holster while wearing dress slacks supported by an Armour 1 1/4" leather dress belt. While I had thought I would carry it for the week, it has been placed back into the gun vault. In my case the revolver was just too heavy for me to pocket carry comfortably in the dress slacks I have been wearing. The firearm wanted to move out of position when I sit, and it moves when I am stepping into my truck to be seated in such a manner as to turn sideways between my leg and seat belt arm.

What is the primary issue with making it difficult to pocket carry for me? I think it is the weight combined with the cut of my trouser pockets. It is a chunk of a handgun at 26 ounces fully loaded with six cartridges, very similar to the Ruger SP101, which weighs approximately 28.4 ounces loaded. Previously I had only carried the Kimber using an OWB holster and didn't think anything of it. But placed in my front pocket, the weight of the firearm became bothersome quickly. I have pocket carried many other handguns before in these trousers and never had any difficulty.

My desire to try this firearm in pocket carry came about as a result of the thread that has been going for about a week regarding what we had carried for the previous 30 days. I had carried a Glock G43, Ruger LCP 2, M&P Shield .45, and S&W M442, all in my pocket except for a few instances with the Shield IWB. When pocket carrying the Shield I had been wearing tactical pants with large pockets and had plenty of room to obtain a good grip on it.

Comparing what I had carried in my pocket with the Kimber K6s using fully loaded weights, I came up with the following.

Kimber K6s (6 rounds) - 26 ounces
    M&P Shield .45 (7 rounds) - 24.5 ounces
    Glock G43 (7 rounds) - 20.64 ounces
    S&W 442 (5 rounds) - 17.1 ounces
    Ruger LCP 2 (7 rounds) - 12.9 ounces

As you can see, the Kimber is the heaviest of the five and is 52% heavier than the S&W M442 and more than twice as heavy as the LCP 2. So, even though the dimensions of the Kimber K6s is similar to the S&W J frames, I will have to consider the weight when choosing how to best carry it and for now will stick to IWB or OWB.

Kimber K6s not for Pocket Carry-img_5643.jpg
    Last edited by Old Man; June 25th, 2019 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Correct Spelling

I like the look, and I want one. I appreciate your input, and have yet to find a gun that can replace my 442 for ease and comfort of carry, in most any condition.
    Pete63, Old Man and Texas Red like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I tried that also and my pants looked like a hood rat.
    Old Man and MMinSC like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Anything bigger than the LCPII goes IWB for me. All too heavy for pocket carry.
    I don't feel comfortable walking around with a baseball or small brick in any of my pockets.
    Old Man, 10thmtn and Goldy49 like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Thatís a very nice gun! But yeah, thatís a lot of weight in a pocket, especially dress slacks.
    Old Man likes this.

It is a mighty pretty gun, Old Man.
    Old Man likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    I like the look, and I want one. I appreciate your input, and have yet to find a gun that can replace my 442 for ease and comfort of carry, in most any condition.
    Here are some other observations based on owning mine for 20 months now. The Kimber K6s has one of the best double action trigger pulls that you will find on a production revolver today. I like that fact that it is six shots and also that the cylinder is counter sunk bored for the cartridge case heads. Mine is finished impeccably. I don't care for the factory grips on mine, they are "sticky" to touch, more so than the factory boot grips on the S&W J frames. The weight of the piece does soak up some of the recoil of heavy loads, but it will still bounce in your hand when shooting heavy .357 magnums. And, as you might imagine, muzzle blast and noise can be significant. I usually load it with the same loads as I load in my other .38 Special snubbies: Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain JHP +P. That way I'm not having to mess around with different spare ammo speed strips or ammo in vehicles plus I can share ammo with the wife if need be when we're out and about.

Senior Member Array lee n. field's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man View Post
    I have been carrying my Kimber K6s the last two days using front pocket carry with a El Paso Saddlery Pocket Max Horsehide holster while wearing dress slacks supported by an Armour 1 1/4" leather dress belt. While I had thought I would carry it for the week, it has been placed back into the gun vault. In my case the revolver was just too heavy for me to pocket carry comfortably in the dress slacks I have been wearing. The firearm wanted to move out of position when I sit, and it moves when I am stepping into my truck to be seated in such a manner as to turn sideways between my leg and seat belt arm.

What is the primary issue with making it difficult to pocket carry for me? I think it is the weight combined with the cut of my trouser pockets. It is a chunk of a handgun at 26 ounces fully loaded with six cartridges, very similar to the Ruger SP101, which weighs approximately 28.4 ounces loaded. Previously I had only carried the Kimber using an OWB holster and didn't think anything of it. But placed in my front pocket, the weight of the firearm became bothersome quickly. I have pocket carried many other handguns before in these trousers and never had any difficulty.

My desire to try this firearm in pocket carry came about as a result of the thread that has been going for about a week regarding what we had carried for the previous 30 days. I had carried a Glock G43, Ruger LCP 2, M&P Shield .45, and S&W M442, all in my pocket except for a few instances with the Shield IWB. When pocket carrying the Shield I had been wearing tactical pants with large pockets and had plenty of room to obtain a good grip on it.

Comparing what I had carried in my pocket with the Kimber K6s using fully loaded weights, I came up with the following.

Kimber K6s (6 rounds) - 26 ounces
    M&P Shield .45 (7 rounds) - 24.5 ounces
    Glock G43 (7 rounds) - 20.64 ounces
    S&W 442 (5 rounds) - 17.1 ounces
    Ruger LCP 2 (7 rounds) - 12.9 ounces

People's tolerance for pocket carry weight varies greatly. I'm currently pocket carrying a steel Taurus 605 that's (IIRC) an ounce and a half or so lighter than the SP101. (--edit to add--- 1 lb 8.6 oz, loaded and as equipped.)
    Old Man likes this.

I have an Alabama pocket holster for my k6s and find it to be very comfortable in jeans, but I can't imagine trying to pocket carry it with dress slacks. I personally wouldn't pocket carry anything more than 15 or so ounces in dress slacks, but then, I don't wear slacks anymore, so I ain't gotta worry about that. I can pocket carry anything up to around 30 ounces in jeans with no problem. It's just a matter of getting use to the weight. I pocket carried my sp101 for years (27.5 ounces). Although here lately, I've mostly been carrying it sort of cross draw.

Your right, the K6S is a mighty fine revolver, I love mine. I put some wood grips on mine to make it more carry friendly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kimber K6s not for Pocket Carry-screenshot_20190622-203033_gallery_1561511292518.jpg  

Kimber K6s not for Pocket Carry-screenshot_20190625-195311_gallery_1561511347350.jpg  

Old Man and BigJon10125 like this.

Sometimes we gotta stop trying to put 10 gallons of stuff into a 5 gallon bucket.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Senior Member Array Illusive Man's Avatar
    I tried carrying mine in a Desantis Nemesis. Worked OK in jeans, but now when I needed to have on slacks. I carry it in an IWB holster and it is great. I now carry a Micro 9 when I'm dressed up.
    Old Man likes this.
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Yeah, I can understand how 26oz would be too much for pocket carry. IWB or OWB on a belt it'd be no problem. That's a good lookin' gun. How do you like it?
    Old Man likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmybuffett View Post
    Yeah, I can understand how 26oz would be too much for pocket carry. IWB or OWB on a belt it'd be no problem. That's a good lookin' gun. How do you like it?
    I like it very much! Very smooth trigger pull and good accuracy for a 2" barrel. The weight, trigger pull, and sights all contribute to making it a good shooter.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post
    Sometimes we gotta stop trying to put 10 gallons of stuff into a 5 gallon bucket.
    Yep, lots easier for me to pocket carry the LCP II, J frame, or even the Glock G43.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rlggray View Post
    I have an Alabama pocket holster for my k6s and find it to be very comfortable in jeans, but I can't imagine trying to pocket carry it with dress slacks. I personally wouldn't pocket carry anything more than 15 or so ounces in dress slacks, but then, I don't wear slacks anymore, so I ain't gotta worry about that. I can pocket carry anything up to around 30 ounces in jeans with no problem. It's just a matter of getting use to the weight. I pocket carried my sp101 for years (27.5 ounces). Although here lately, I've mostly been carrying it sort of cross draw.

Your right, the K6S is a mighty fine revolver, I love mine. I put some wood grips on mine to make it more carry friendly.
    I like those wood grips. Are they Altamont? I don't carry appendix, so If I'm going to carry IWB or OWB it will be at 4 o'clock.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links