Dipped my toe in the 1911 waters. - Page 2

Dipped my toe in the 1911 waters.

This is a discussion on Dipped my toe in the 1911 waters. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by drmordo I have a Para Expert Commander and it has been an amazing gun. As I recall, I got it from CDNN ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree302Likes

Thread: Dipped my toe in the 1911 waters.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I have a Para Expert Commander and it has been an amazing gun. As I recall, I got it from CDNN for $479 plus shipping and transfer. It was my primary carry gun for a couple of years before I went back to carrying a revolver. Recently I have gotten into Hi Powers and am carrying that when I carry an auto, but the Expert Commander will go back on duty later this year when I send my Hi Powers in for a trigger job and reblue.

If you find compatible sights, please post them here! I halfheartedly looked for replacements than settled.

I'll add that the trigger on the Para is excellent for such a cheap gun, I recently picked up a Springfield Government, and was surprised that compared to the Para, the Springer's trigger is a lot heavier and grittier.
    So far the only sights that I have found that fit the trapezoid slide cuts specifically for Para are Dawson precision and XS sights.
    drmordo and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    You're gonna love the 1911 platform. Enjoy it.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

I always thought the Para LDA trigger was a neat idea. I still have a CCO style ParaOrd with that trigger system, as well as a Para 14 LDA, but it's in parts at the moment. Now, that thing is a double stack monster. ParaOrdnance should have stayed in O Canada.

I once took a two-day shooting class. It's been several years now. I spent the first day with the ParaOrd CCO in .45 acp and the second day with a Springfield Micro .45 acp. I think it was 200-250 rounds per day. After that experience, I foreswore the LDA in favor of the regular single action 1911 system. Overall, the LDA was less responsive in speedy shooting, IME. Prior to that, I loved that LDA trigger.

Have fun with your Para.
    forester58 and gatorbait51 like this.
    "Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness." --George Washington

Never confuse illegal with immoral. Beware of those who do.
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Thatís great, forester! Sounds like you got a great deal from some great people. And I bet it wonít be your last 1911! Enjoy, and good luck with your move! Iíve never visited out west, but am hoping to get out that way someday. Iím sure itís absolutely beautiful!
    forester58 and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by drmordo View Post
    I have a Para Expert Commander and it has been an amazing gun.

As I recall, I got it from CDNN for $479 plus shipping and transfer. It was my primary carry gun for a couple of years before I went back to carrying a revolver. Recently I have gotten into Hi Powers and am carrying that when I carry an auto, but the Expert Commander will go back on duty later this year when I send my Hi Powers in for a trigger job and reblue.

If you find compatible sights, please post them here! I halfheartedly looked for replacements than settled.

I'll add that the trigger on the Para is excellent for such a cheap gun, I recently picked up a Springfield Government, and was surprised that compared to the Para, the Springer's trigger is a lot heavier and grittier.
    Ahem !!! I believe what you CLEARLY STATED at the time (or shortly after) was that the pistol had been BRILLIANT ! And I believed you.

Still do, @drmordo .
    Tstone, OD*, drmordo and 1 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Congrats @forester58 . Beautiful piece. But, what holster is that? I love loops!
    forester58, Tstone, OD* and 2 others like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

PJH
    That looks like a fine entry into the 1911 fraternity, at a very nice price. Congratulations.
    forester58, OD*, Gabill and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    Congrats @forester58 . Beautiful piece. But, what holster is that? I love loops!
    Its a Galco summer comfort holster.
    Last edited by forester58; July 8th, 2019 at 07:41 AM.
    Militant, OD*, PhaedrusIV and 2 others like this.

Very nice 1911, forester58!

And welcome to the club!

now that youíve felt the water, itís time to dive in head first!

I want another 1911. I donít need one, but I really want one.
    We get the government we deserve.

Be careful. In the wrong hands 1911ís have been known to breed faster than coat hangers.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Nice acquisition @forester58 , but you may have doomed yourself.

If I may, if you plan to carry the Para for SD, adjust the over travel screw to were it works best for you, then remove it and put a dab of nail polish, Loc-Tite etc., on the threads and re-adjust to your " sweet spot." I and many others have forgotten all about the damned things and they WILL work loose, unfortunately, they don't back out, they screw themselves in and butt up against the magazine catch effectively tying up the action. (you can also remove your trigger and "drip" the thread-locker in from the rear) I no longer use them and only use Harrison's triggers https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/triggers-for-1911s. The adjustment screw is permanently affixed on the rear and you file the screw down by trial and error, but your over travel screw will never move.

They second thing I'd recommend, ignore the Series 80 naysayers, I've had some Series 80s since Colt introduced them in 1983, I have never had one fail yet. (you can remove them though and your pistol will work fine, I don't recommend doing it) Your Para having a decent trigger proves they don't have a clue.

This is what your Series 80 style safety entails.

Name:  Series80Safety.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  12.0 KB

Name:  Series 80.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  32.9 KB
    Last edited by OD*; July 8th, 2019 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Spellin'
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I like it and probably too much for my own good. Seems fast and agile if I can use those words to describe a handgun. I knew there was a good reason I avoided these things. When my wife asked me "how did your shooting go today" I probably grinned like an idiot because she just rolled her eyes and said "looks like it might get expensive". "Naw" I says," its just another gun".
    Now ya went and did it...

You were probably warned, but no, you had to go ahead and put that 1911 in your hand.

And now yer hooked.

I know from personal experience.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

1911's rank up in the vice-chart somewhere around good bourbon and girl scout cookies.

A plain Jane Colt government model is on my short list.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links