Dipped my toe in the 1911 waters. - Page 3

Dipped my toe in the 1911 waters.

This is a discussion on Dipped my toe in the 1911 waters. within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by OD* Nice acquisition @ forester58 , but you may have doomed yourself. If I may, if you plan to carry the Para ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree302Likes

Thread: Dipped my toe in the 1911 waters.

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Nice acquisition @forester58 , but you may have doomed yourself.

If I may, if you plan to carry the Para for SD, adjust the over travel screw to were it works best for you, then remove it and put a dab of nail polish, Loc-Tite etc., on the threads and re-adjust to your " sweet spot." I and many others have forgotten all about the damned things and they WILL work loose, unfortunately, they don't back out, they screw themselves in and butt up against the magazine catch effectively tying up the action. (you can also remove your trigger and "drip" the thread-locker in from the rear) I no longer use them and only use Harrison's triggers https://shop.harrisoncustom.com/triggers-for-1911s. The adjustment screw is permanently affixed on the rear and you file the screw down by trial and error, but your over travel screw will never move.

They second thing I'd recommend, ignore the Series 80 naysayers, I've had some Series 80s since Colt introduced them in 1983, I have never had one fail yet. (you can remove them though and your pistol will work fine, I don't recommend doing it) Your Para having a decent trigger proves they don't have a clue.

This is what your Series 80 style safety entails.

Attachment 298118

Attachment 298120
    Thank you for those tips I really appreciate it as I am a newbie to these pistols. I will take your advice on the locktite for certain as I have had other firearm screws work loose and really jam up a gun. I found some good Youtube videos on maintenance and disassemble. etc. but, anything I have doubts about I will ask here first.

Chris

Wow, with that review I think you jumped in, toe wiggling is gone. Congrats on your purchase. It is a disease that you now have. It will be tough not to add to your now addiction. Good shooting!
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

VIP Member
    It's an addiction with no cure
    EN MI VIDA AL MAL NO TEMER…, POR QUE EN MI CORAZ”N Y MIS DOS .38 SUPER COLT.

The Totalitarian State in America will not arise at the point of a gun. It will come with a message of

"We only want what's best for you. It's for your own good."

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

My wife bought me a Para Expert 5” several years ago for my birthday. It shoots as well as any of my 5” Colts.

When the youngsters around the office ask me why I love 1911's so much (they were all raised with plastic), I tell them that when it comes to 1911's and Browning HP's, words really can't describe them. You would have to take one to the range and ring it out to appreciate the love !!
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    When the youngsters around the office ask me why I love 1911's so much (they were all raised with plastic), I tell them that when it comes to 1911's and Browning HP's, words really can't describe them. You would have to take one to the range and ring it out to appreciate the love !!
    I resisted a long time even though I have handled a bunch over the years I did not shoot them. I have always been a no-safety guy but, the 1911 is different somehow. Its slim but, still fills your hand, nice grip angle for most people. I have tried "cocked and locked" on a CZ and an EAA but, the ergos were wrong for my hand size and it was a stretch to disengage and then my thumb had to go back on the grip. Too many movements to be comfortable for me so back to DA/SA or DAO which I have always been comfortable with anyway. With the 1911 my thumb stays on the safety and it feels like a natural thing to do since my support hand fits in underneath really well and really fast. I realize not everyone shoots a 1911 this way but,its what feels right to me without any outside instruction.
    If you have a holster that pulls it in close its much easier to conceal than I would have thought with an 8 round single stack mag grip. I know its an old and dated design but, hell, so am I.
    bmcgilvray, msgt/ret, OD* and 8 others like this.

OD*
    Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I resisted a long time even though I have handled a bunch over the years I did not shoot them. I have always been a no-safety guy but, the 1911 is different somehow. Its slim but, still fills your hand, nice grip angle for most people. I have tried "cocked and locked" on a CZ and an EAA but, the ergos were wrong for my hand size and it was a stretch to disengage and then my thumb had to go back on the grip. Too many movements to be comfortable for me so back to DA/SA or DAO which I have always been comfortable with anyway. With the 1911 my thumb stays on the safety and it feels like a natural thing to do since my support hand fits in underneath really well and really fast. I realize not everyone shoots a 1911 this way but,its what feels right to me without any outside instruction.
    If you have a holster that pulls it in close its much easier to conceal than I would have thought with an 8 round single stack mag grip. I know its an old and dated design but, hell, so am I.
    Cool, you are officially a bona fide member of the Luddite Society, welcome!
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow.
    End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

NRA Patron Member

Love the 1911 platform. ED carry a Sig Commander and a Sig full size. Saving up for a vintage Colt WW2 era.
    bmcgilvray, Tstone and forester58 like this.

VIP Member
    1911s can be contagious. I'm up to 10 now not counting the 1911-22, the P238, and the P938. It also doesn't include the Sig Ultra two-tone I sold after buying a Dan Wesson ECO. I carry a P365 now, but I still have my love affair with the 1911s at the range. I particularly like shooting the gong with them.
    deadguy, mhl6493 and msgt/ret like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Well, I'm down to 5 or 6 or 7 1911's. Not sure. I also love them for the range and to CC them every day.
    NRA PATRON LIFE
    AzCDL Life Member
    BROWN WATER NAVY

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    With the 1911 my thumb stays on the safety and it feels like a natural thing to do since my support hand fits in underneath really well and really fast. I realize not everyone shoots a 1911 this way but,its what feels right to me without any outside instruction.
    I ride the thumb safety when I shoot as well. I have a difficult time shooting any gun that doesn't have one.
    If you have a holster that pulls it in close its much easier to conceal than I would have thought with an 8 round single stack mag grip.
    My carry holster has a 40 degree forward cant, and the grip of the gun runs more up my body than it sticks out towards the back. This greatly reduces any printing issues with the butt of the gun. The fact that I have lost my love handles helps even more.
    forester58 and msgt/ret like this.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

I picked up a used Springfield Range Officer Champion in .45 for 650.00 out the door didn't look like the previous owner didn't shoot it much didn't even fill out the warranty card so I went on line and registered it. got it to go along with my two Sigs P220 full size and a P220R Carry. but to disassemble it, its different then a normal 1911 it doesn't have a barrel bushing. you lock the slide back and on the guide rod is a tiny hold that you insert a L shaped pin into it. then you pop out the slide lock then you can slide forward and off to get the guide rod and barrel it has a match grade barrel also my little buddy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dipped my toe in the 1911 waters.-20190626_190358_1562896547856.jpg  

Dipped my toe in the 1911 waters.-20190608_124712_1562896564590.jpg  

Dipped my toe in the 1911 waters.-20190710_055145_1562896595594.jpg  

Navy Seabee
    NRA Life Member
    Sig P220 compact
    Sig P220 full size

Super Carry Pro HD, it's been flawless . . .

Dipped my toe in the 1911 waters.-fullsizeoutput_41.jpeg

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    We only own one Para...a Big Hawg..double stack .45, but it has been nothing short of fantastic over the 6yrs we have had it. You did good on that gun. BUT...you have really stepped in it, NOW. This 1911 stuff is chronic...only thing that seems to offer any relief is regularly adding a new one to the collection. Best advice that I can offer is to ENJOY the affliction.
    Last edited by Shootnlead; July 14th, 2019 at 11:28 PM.
    forester58 likes this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    My wife bought me a Para Expert 5” several years ago for my birthday. It shoots as well as any of my 5” Colts.

Must be a hell of a pistol.
    Marine Corps 75-79
    NRA
    Florida Carry
    CCW SAFE
    Colt, Sig, S&W, Browning, Remington

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links