The S&W Bodyguard is out of service

This is a discussion on The S&W Bodyguard is out of service within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; My issues began about a little while back, but I thought it was operator error, however the issue has now become so regular in occurrence ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree188Likes

Thread: The S&W Bodyguard is out of service

My issues began about a little while back, but I thought it was operator error, however the issue has now become so regular in occurrence that it’s obvious that the little gun has developed issues.

Yesterday evening, I was doing some draw and shoot drills from the pocket when I noticed the magazine was coming out of the pistol grip, just far enough to prevent the feeding of the next round. At first I thought it was a mag issue, so I isolated that one and tried the other two. Same issue. It seems like any pressure against the base of the mag during the cycling firing of the weapon would allow the magazine to come loose and slide down.

A little rant here if I may:)

This is the first gun I have purchased that uses polymer mag catches against a steel magazine. I have steered away from that combination because the eventual results were obvious to me. Let’s see, steel vs polymer; which one will wear?
    I should have listened to my instinct, and stayed with Glocks using the poly mags against a poly mag catch, because that’s exactly what in the hell happened.

I was expressing this to a salesman in Buds Gun Shop, and he said “ well, what would you have if a manufacturer made a gun that lasted? “

Without missing a beat I said “ You would have a damned Glock”.

Ok, rant over.

I suppose I shot and operated the little gun more than S&W intended. The metal mags have worn the polymer mag catch down like a head of cabbage against a grater.

So, I will send it back to them to fix, because it has been a reliable and accurate little shooter up to this point.

But I have found that the G43 actually fits my jeans pockets pretty darn good, and the 42 even better.

So, I may be heading in that direction while I am waiting on the BG to come back from S&W.

But never again will I buy a poly gun with metal mags that I intend to shoot a lot.

Never——-again.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

I hate to say I told you so!

No wait, I didn't tell you so. Crap happens. Fix it and pay attention to it on occasion.
    G-man* and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I hate to say I told you so!

No wait, I didn't tell you so. Crap happens. Fix it and pay attention to it on occasion.
    OldChap, OldVet and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Thanks for the heads-up. Who would have thought that someone would buy a pocket pistol with the intention of putting rounds through it? Not S&W, apparently.
    G-man*, OldChap, 10thmtn and 7 others like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

I hate to hear that. I have a general rule about smallish guns: I just limit how many rounds I put through them for the very reason that they generally just don't hold up to lots of shooting.

I'm in the process of rebuilding another little Kel-Tec PF-9 using M-Carbo parts. It might be worth a shot to talk to the M-Carbo folks and let them know about the issue you discovered. They have a LOT of very well engineered parts for guns others ignore. Their business is growing.

https://www.mcarbo.com/
    Pete63, Mike1956 and Instymp like this.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits."

"What country can preserve its liberties if its rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms." - Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    My issues began about a little while back, but I thought it was operator error, however the issue has now become so regular in occurrence that it’s obvious that the little gun has developed issues.

Yesterday evening, I was doing some draw and shoot drills from the pocket when I noticed the magazine was coming out of the pistol grip, just far enough to prevent the feeding of the next round. At first I thought it was a mag issue, so I isolated that one and tried the other two. Same issue. It seems like any pressure against the base of the mag during the cycling firing of the weapon would allow the magazine to come loose and slide down.

A little rant here if I may:)

This is the first gun I have purchased that uses polymer mag catches against a steel magazine. I have steered away from that combination because the eventual results were obvious to me. Let’s see, steel vs polymer; which one will wear?
    I should have listened to my instinct, and stayed with Glocks using the poly mags against a poly mag catch, because that’s exactly what in the hell happened.

I was expressing this to a salesman in Buds Gun Shop, and he said “ well, what would you have if a manufacturer made a gun that lasted?

Without missing a beat I said “ You would have a damned Glock”.

Ok, rant over.

I suppose I shot and operated the little gun more than S&W intended. The metal mags have worn the polymer mag catch down like a head of cabbage against a grater.

So, I will send it back to them to fix, because it has been a reliable and accurate little shooter up to this point.

But I have found that the G43 actually fits my jeans pockets pretty darn good, and the 42 even better.

So, I may be heading in that direction while I am waiting on the BG to come back from S&W.

But never again will I buy a poly gun with metal mags that I intend to shoot a lot.

Never——-again.

Me to Bud's salesman: A Colt 1911!
    In reply to your going with the G43 for pocket carry. Didn't someone lament me pocket carrying my XDs .45 acp in my rt. front pocket?
    forester58 and wdbailey like this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Distinguished Member
    Gman -- approx how many rounds do you think you have through it?
    Instymp, Hoganbeg and graydude like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Yeah, have to wonder if there’s aftermarket steel parts to fix that.

My LCPSs are gen 1s, going on 10 years old. I do shoot them regularly. Lately, as they get dirty while shooting, I’ve had to smack the rear of the slide to force them to go home. I think the recoil springs are wearing out. Called Ruger, and three new spring sets AND guide rods are on the way...for free!

I had two extraction failures a few days ago, as well. Was shooting off the last of my HPR ammo that I bought when .380 ammo was not to be found. Very dirty...but...you wonder.

So, if I can figure out a way to carry a .357 LCR snub in my pocket without it printing while at work, I might put the LCPs out to pasture myself. Would need a wallet holster due to my large thighs, which would make it look like a book in my pocket! Lol
    Carry a sidearm always. Be able to put shots into the torso and then head, if needed. The rest is much less important.

Ruger. Don't mean to always reply with that answer but @ least they have metal to metal contact on the mag - mag catch. Just curious as to what would turn you away from Gen 1 Lcp or LCP 2.
    I've had great success with both.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    5lima30ret, 1gunsnowbird and DZUS like this.

+1 on the LCP 1 & 2! Very dependable .380's IME. (Not fun to shoot but would do the job if called upon.)
    Instymp and 1gunsnowbird like this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I hate to pile on....but yeh what were you thinking actually shooting a mousegun?

My weird mousegun failure involves pocket lint getting caught in the mag catch opening in a Taurus TCP mag....I was unloading the mag when after the second round stripped off, the mag puked out the rest of the rounds....The lint had jammed the follower halfway down the magazine.
    Old Man and matthew03 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MillennialNorth View Post
    Ruger. Don't mean to always reply with that answer but @ least they have metal to metal contact on the mag - mag catch. Just curious as to what would turn you away from Gen 1 Lcp or LCP 2.
    I've had great success with both.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
    I am not a Ruger fan. Their LCP looks like a copy of a KelTec.
    Pete63, Instymp, CLASS3NH and 1 others like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by wondering View Post
    I hate to pile on....but yeh what were you thinking actually shooting a mousegun?

My weird mousegun failure involves pocket lint getting caught in the mag catch opening in a Taurus TCP mag....I was unloading the mag when after the second round stripped off, the mag puked out the rest of the rounds....The lint had jammed the follower halfway down the magazine.
    Sounds like you just need a little help with some things.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Quote Originally Posted by Wavygravy View Post
    Gman -- approx how many rounds do you think you have through it?
    Hell who knows? I’m not one of these people who keep a record of everything....I just shoot.
    Wavygravy, Pete63, OldVet and 9 others like this.
    -Jeff Cooper

-Joe Foss

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Hell who knows? I’m not one of these people who keep a record of everything....I just shoot.
    Oh C'mon, man -- surely you can guesstimate whether it's around 200 rounds or around 2,000?
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Sponsored Links