Thinking about trading my RM380 for an EC9

This is a discussion on Thinking about trading my RM380 for an EC9 within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; What do you think? I really do like my RM380, but I've been thinking about getting an affordable single-stack 9. Mostly for ammo consistency and ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: Thinking about trading my RM380 for an EC9

What do you think?
    I really do like my RM380, but I've been thinking about getting an affordable single-stack 9. Mostly for ammo consistency and cheaper ammo. I haven't looked at the EC9/LC9 in the store in a while. I'm thinking it will be almost as concealable?
    I'd like to just buy the EC9 and add it to my collection, but I don't get much extra spending money. That's really the plan though. I have some points saved at Cabela's and they're on sale. Thinking I might have a little extra money this month that I can hopefully talk the wife into it.
    Old Man and Gabill like this.

If you’re pocket carrying, I’d suggest staying with what you have.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Distinguished Member
    I have owned the LC9s, and I currently have an RM380 for deep concealment carry. The Ruger is not, in my opinin a pocket carry gun but the Remington is. The trigger on the Lc9s and Ec9s warrants real caution unlike the RM380. My 9mm is a Walther PPS M2. It is too big for pocket carry but is perfect for IWB and OWB concealment. I think keeping the RM380 is a good idea and then find a 9mm with a bit more mass to absorb recoil and give a better grip.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

The LC9s and EC9 are pretty big for pocket carry, imo. For me, my LCPII is big in the pocket, even. If you get either one, however, make sure you get a Kydex pocket holster. The triggers are way light for pocket carry with any kind of nylon "sticky" type holster. Again, just imo.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Thanks for the input guys!
    I'll plan on keeping the RM380.
    Maybe I'll have to look at the Mossberg MC1S. Any other single stacks you like? My buddy has the P365. It's nice, but a little more than I want to spend.

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar
    I'll second what the others have said about using it for pocket carry. I primarily pocket carry, and I think that's a little too big with a trigger I don't want in my pocket. But that's me, I prefer strong DA pulls. Have you looked at the Beretta Nano?

LCP ii with a Garrison Grip Trigger Stop.
    .................................................. ............
    SIG P365, Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP ii; Wife's: Sig P238, LCP ii, Remington 11-87 20G

I’m not looking for a small pocket pistol. I’m looking for a single stack 9. I’m going to keep my RM380.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    If I was shopping for a single stack 9mm, I would start with a SIG P938. If that was too expensive or I didn't like SAO guns, I go for the Ruger EC9.

I had a Glock 43 and did not like it. Glock triggers are just horrible. I still have a G42 and 19, and even after a trigger job the G42 trigger is garbage. I keep them because the G42 is about the most stout .380 I have found, and the G19 is the gun I keep on the fridge because I don't care if it gets covered in kitchen debris. I really should sell it.

The Mossberg is interesting, but I'd have to try the trigger before I bought one.

The SIG P365 is a good choice from what I have read.

The Taurus G2C is a sleeper gun that is just a bit bigger than a P365 and also has a 12 round doublestack mag. I carry mine in a Shield holster. I've had three and have yet to have any issue with any of them. The only reason I needed three of them is a buddy wanted my first one, and I gave the second to my mom.
    Gabill, 5lima30ret and forester58 like this.

I owned both a P938 and LC9s. They were both very snappy and hard to shoot well. Try before you buy.

I have an LC9s and like it, and don’t find it any more snappy than any other small single stack 9mm. I shoot it better than a Glock 43. My LC9s has been very reliable, and it is a little more affordable than some other small 9s.

I do pocket carry my LC9s with some of my dress slacks, but it doesn’t do well in a jeans pocket. When wearing jeans I pocket carry an LCP.
    NRA Life Member

"Snappy" is a very subjective term. I've shot the LC9s (don't own one) and didn't find it snappy. A lot of folks say the LCPII is snappy, no fun to shoot, hurts their hands, etc. I don't find mine snappy at all and enjoy shooting it. It's all personal preference.

If you're on a budget, the Sigs are way more expensive. The Shield 9 is affordable and a great single stack 9, but a little more $$ than the Ruger. Better built imo.
    For me it came down to choosing between the Glock 43 and the Shield after shooting a lot of brands out there (except the P365 -- at the time, they weren't available at my LGS). I liked the ergos of the Shield better, and shot it better. I also shot the LC9s better than the Glock.
    5lima30ret and Instymp like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I would never pocket carry a gun without either a positive manual safety or a full weight/full stroke DA trigger. The risk of AD/ND far outweighs any supposed tactical advantage of a "great trigger".
    Hatchee, 10thmtn and forester58 like this.
    Arkancide- Three self-inflicted gunshots to the head with hands tied behind the back.

Active Shooter Response- Assess the situation, Position yourself to gain tactical advantage, Engage perpetrator violently (APE).

VIP Member
    The Sig P365 is tough to beat for size/weight/capacity. I carry mine IWB, but others do pocket carry it. I have carried both the P938 and the Kahr CM9 in my front pocket with no issues with the right size pocket. The CM9 can be found for under $400 if price is a big consideration. Several are listed on Gunbroker right now sub-4 with night sight.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Patron Life Member NRA
    SAF - CCRKBA
    NAGR / GOA
    TFA-LAC / Save the 2A
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GMC View Post
    Thanks for the input guys!
    I'll plan on keeping the RM380.
    Maybe I'll have to look at the Mossberg MC1S. Any other single stacks you like? My buddy has the P365. It's nice, but a little more than I want to spend.
    Check out the Walther PPS M2. It is a great single stack. Best egos I have ever had with the 7 round magazine. Very accurate.
    Excellent recoil control. Easy breakdown. Add to that the numerous top notch reviews if has received from credible reviewers in print, on websites, and on YouTube. Many reviewers prefer it the Shield. Best of all it is very affordable.
    "You don't hurt them if you don't hit them." Lt. Gen. Lewis "Chesty" Puller, USMC Retired

USMC 9/59 through 9/69
    Vietnam June ‘66 to February ‘68
    MOS: 4641, Combat Photographer

Memberships:
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation
    Pennsylvania Firearms Owners Against Crime

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links