New sights for my S&W Shield

This is a discussion on New sights for my S&W Shield within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I just ordered these sights for my Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm They should be here in a few days and then the gun shop ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: New sights for my S&W Shield

I just ordered these sights for my Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm
    Name:  81kNepwyo1L._SX425_.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  14.2 KB
    They should be here in a few days and then the gun shop will put them on for me. Very excited. My next thing will be to put a better trigger in my shield. I enjoy the Shield stock from the factory and all but decided to give it a little bit more. I was originally thinking about getting another pistol, not to replace my Shield but to just get another to add to my growing collection. But after thinking about it I decided to save some money and just get new sights and trigger for my Shield. It is currently my main CCW along with my Ruger LCP. I love the way the sights look, they make it very easy to pick up and get on target. Do any of you have these on one of your pistols? They are a little pricey, but like I said it is still cheaper than buying a whole new gun.
    Any recommendations on a new trigger? Im looking for something that has a nice crisp break and a more noticeable reset. When all is said and done I believe I will have a great CCW setup and will be satisfied, at least for a little while LOL until I feel like I need to burn more money.
    5lima30ret likes this.

Distinguished Member Array RedSafety's Avatar
    Love that new sight. I really need to get one myself. I just want the front as I don't really use the rear sights and am already tempting to black them out.

I'd be interested in finding out about your new trigger. Like you, I like my trigger, but tried a Geissele 2 stage. I was told the Apex was similar, but the one I tried was so gritty. I hope it was only that one used, and probably abused, pistol. I did see a web site that explained how to modify the stock trigger by a little fileing down and some polishing.
    usmc0811 likes this.
    When seconds count, help is only 18+ minutes away!

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm... I put an Apex trigger (duty/carry) kit in my Shield .45. It smoothed the trigger out a bit, but not to the "holy cow!" level. I think the reset was shortened a wee bit.

Keep in mind the Shield is a pretty economical, basic sidearm. Better sights, better trigger - that's about all you need. Using Glock as an example, there are no end of guys who show up for my club's matches with $500 worth of aftermarket barrels, springs, disconnectors and anything else touted on the interwebz as the latest widget to "improve" their Glocks. The ones who remain serious about competing almost all revert back to stock parts, for reliability if nothing else.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RedSafety View Post
    I was told the Apex was similar, but the one I tried was so gritty. I hope it was only that one used, and probably abused, pistol. I did see a web site that explained how to modify the stock trigger by a little fileing down and some polishing.
    I was looking at the Apex triggers. They seem nice although I have never felt one but have read a lot of good reviews. I wouldn't want to try filing any parts on my CCW as I wouldn't want to cause any damage. Polishing maybe.

VIP Member
    I have and regularly carry three different Shield .45s, two production models and a Performance Center 4-incher. I love them all. The PC has Hi Viz sights, while the two others are factory. All are excellent. I'm fifty percent on TDI silhouettes at seventy yards with the four-inch barrel, regardless of sights. Everything is interchangeable, so when I'm carrying one of the production models, it is with the four-inch barrel and my Bowie Tactical lower.

Bowie Tactical Concepts' LX trigger job is simply the best of any striker-fired trigger I own, and I own quite a few. Very close to a good 1911. His work is, IMO well worth the extra time and expense. Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page
    PhaedrusIV, 5lima30ret and bakes like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Hmmm... I put an Apex trigger (duty/carry) kit in my Shield .45. It smoothed the trigger out a bit, but not to the "holy cow!" level. I think the reset was shortened a wee bit.
    So you dont think I should wast my time and money for the little bit of gain?? Yeah my Shields trigger is not that bad actually but now my full size M&P .40 sucks in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Keep in mind the Shield is a pretty economical, basic sidearm. Better sights, better trigger - that's about all you need. Using Glock as an example, there are no end of guys who show up for my club's matches with $500 worth of aftermarket barrels, springs, disconnectors and anything else touted on the interwebz as the latest widget to "improve" their Glocks. The ones who remain serious about competing almost all revert back to stock parts, for reliability if nothing else.
    Yeah I dont think I would do much more than them two things. I know the sky is the limit for some people but not always beneficial. Just more oh wow new stuff made by bla bla bla so it must be good. When really it is just the same old crap just a different color, shape, name ect. ect. these companies are trying to make a buck no matter what even if it means to be a little deceiving with their advertisements and products and as long as there are people willing to fork over their paychecks, like me sometimes lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Bowie Tactical Concepts' LX trigger job is simply the best of any striker-fired trigger I own, and I own quite a few. Very close to a good 1911. His work is, IMO well worth the extra time and expense. Bowie Tactical Concepts Home Page
    But would this trigger be a good choice for a CCW pistol? Ill check them out. Thanks.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    But would this trigger be a good choice for a CCW pistol? Ill check them out. Thanks.
    It's the trigger I carry most days.
    PhaedrusIV and bakes like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It's the trigger I carry most days.
    I thought you made that abundantly clear, Mike.
    Struckat likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    I think you will like those sights.

Are we shooting bullseye with these Shields? I have 3 Shields...1 early and 2 2.0 versions...the triggers on all of them are more than combat worthy. I like a great trigger as much as anyone...just can't seem to justify the expense for my use of the Shields.
    Wavygravy and usmc0811 like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    I put those sights on my M&P compact 3.6". I like them better than the trijicon hdxr I have on my shield.
    usmc0811 likes this.

I have sights like that but without the red.
    They vary a little from gun to gun, but the trigger on my 45 Shield is really good. I have no plan to change it.
    Looking at their site, I do like the idea of getting rid of the hinged trigger. I am not so sure that it gives me $140 worth of bother.
    Last edited by Struckat; July 21st, 2019 at 08:23 AM.
    usmc0811 likes this.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

I tried out the XS big dot sights and I'm very happy with doing it.

Attachment 298828
    “Let your soul shine. It's better than sunshine, It's better than moonshine
    and it’s Damn sure better than rain” …… Warren Haynes

My mistake folks, I went with the Ameriglo I-dot SW-345.

Attachment 298920
    usmc0811 likes this.
    “Let your soul shine. It's better than sunshine, It's better than moonshine
    and it’s Damn sure better than rain” …… Warren Haynes

Quote Originally Posted by mck1975 View Post
    My mistake folks, I went with the Ameriglo I-dot SW-345.

Attachment 298920
    Half the price of the ones I got, maybe I should have looked at them as an option. But im sure ill be happy with what I picked. I could always get them on another pistol I have like my S&W mp full size .40

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links