Sig 227 vs. Virginia LEO Handgun Course

This is a discussion on Sig 227 vs. Virginia LEO Handgun Course within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Hi all! Here is the first installment in round two of this series. As always, be sure to let me know your thoughts! Howard...

Like Tree8Likes
  • 5 Post By hrfunk
  • 1 Post By hrfunk
  • 2 Post By bmcgilvray

Thread: Sig 227 vs. Virginia LEO Handgun Course

Hi all! Here is the first installment in round two of this series. As always, be sure to let me know your thoughts!

Howard

Last edited by bmcgilvray; July 23rd, 2019 at 06:26 PM.

Enjoying your LEO shooting courses and especially liked your opinion of the Sig that you used.

Quote Originally Posted by BSides01 View Post
    Enjoying your LEO shooting courses and especially liked your opinion of the Sig that you used.
    Thanks for watching. I'm glad you like the series!

Howard

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Howard. I liked the challenge....when I was a young L.E. we shot kneeling at 35 yards, then 25 yds, then 15 yds, and lastly 7 yds.....that was way back in 1974....when I left the 35 yd kneeling was gone and we only fired 2 rounds, strong hand, at 25 yds. Over the years my agency moved 48 of the 50 rounds fired were at 15 yds in and there was more stressors added. Our course was a good one and as stats prove out most L.E. shooting occur under 7 yds.......

I have heard some instructors say there is no such thing as muscle memory....but if that was true there would be no need in the repetitions that we learned and used for 35+ years.....I disagree with those instructions as the brain is a muscle and the more you practice and drill the more confidence you gain as well as skill level.

Thanks for the shows....I am really enjoying them.....Paul

Interesting!

That said..."virginial" is one of those words that you just might want to look up before posting.

(Yup, it has nothing to do with the Great State of Virginia)

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Quote Originally Posted by DZUS View Post
    Interesting!

That said..."virginial" is one of those words that you just might want to look up before posting.

(Yup, it has nothing to do with the Great State of Virginia)

Ahh, Somewhere my old High School typing teacher is laughing. If I'd paid more attention in his class instead of looking at all the girls in there, I might not make stupid typos like that. If one of the mods can correct the title of this thread I would be most appreciative.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    Howard. I liked the challenge....when I was a young L.E. we shot kneeling at 35 yards, then 25 yds, then 15 yds, and lastly 7 yds.....that was way back in 1974....when I left the 35 yd kneeling was gone and we only fired 2 rounds, strong hand, at 25 yds. Over the years my agency moved 48 of the 50 rounds fired were at 15 yds in and there was more stressors added. Our course was a good one and as stats prove out most L.E. shooting occur under 7 yds.......

I have heard some instructors say there is no such thing as muscle memory....but if that was true there would be no need in the repetitions that we learned and used for 35+ years.....I disagree with those instructions as the brain is a muscle and the more you practice and drill the more confidence you gain as well as skill level.

Thanks for the shows....I am really enjoying them.....Paul
    Thanks Paul! It seems to me that when 21 feet (or closer) was established as the magic distance "for most officer involved shootings", shooting at distances greater than that were summarily dumped from many qualification courses. I think that was a mistake for several reasons. First, shooting at the extended ranges helps to identify marksmanship problems that are harder to see at shorter ranges. That shooting also helps hone those skills and it improves an officer's confidence in his/her abilities as well as the capabilities of the firearm/ammunition. In the end, I think a lot of courses were "dumbed down" to save time and money.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by hrfunk View Post
    Ahh, Somewhere my old High School typing teacher is laughing. If I'd paid more attention in his class instead of looking at all the girls in there, I might not make stupid typos like that. If one of the mods can correct the title of this thread I would be most appreciative.

Howard
    No worries, it was an easy error and provided a nice chuckle.

BTW, To err is human...

and of course, to arr is pirate.

Armed And Harmless
    ----
    Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
    - - Sir Winston Churchill, 1941

Senior Moderator

Howard
    Pica or elite?

Fixed, by a moderator who went through two years of high school typing on a Smith Corona manual with uneven grades to show for it.

A couple of those cute girls were assigned the two electrics the school provided.
    hrfunk and matthew03 like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Thanks Paul! It seems to me that when 21 feet (or closer) was established as the magic distance "for most officer involved shootings", shooting at distances greater than that were summarily dumped from many qualification courses. I think that was a mistake for several reasons. First, shooting at the extended ranges helps to identify marksmanship problems that are harder to see at shorter ranges. That shooting also helps hone those skills and it improves an officer's confidence in his/her abilities as well as the capabilities of the firearm/ammunition. In the end, I think a lot of courses were "dumbed down" to save time and money.

Howard
    Howard, I could not agree more.....way back we shot 2 shots weak hand at 25 yds and 6 rounds from the strong hand .... with barricade included.....suspect id is very important and there is definitely a need for longer distance...however, I do wonder about justifying deadly force much beyond 15 yards in light of today's atmosphere.......as far as 35 yard drill I'm not sure I could get down and then back up from that position at 67+....good shooting and keep 'em coming! Paul

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    Howard, I could not agree more.....way back we shot 2 shots weak hand at 25 yds and 6 rounds from the strong hand .... with barricade included.....suspect id is very important and there is definitely a need for longer distance...however, I do wonder about justifying deadly force much beyond 15 yards in light of today's atmosphere.......as far as 35 yard drill I'm not sure I could get down and then back up from that position at 67+....good shooting and keep 'em coming! Paul
    The question of "justification" has been posed before. For my part, I see that skill as most likely being utilized to protect someone else who is much closer to a lethal threat. As a former SWAT Sniper, that is a concept I'm very well acquainted with (LE Snipers rarely fire to defend themselves). If you imagine an active threat in a school where an officer observes a student about to be seriously injured or killed by an attacker, that officer might have to attempt a longer shot in an effort to stop the student from being injured or killed.

Howard

Sponsored Links