What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver? - Page 4

What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver?

This is a discussion on What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Dial1911 As much as I liked the S&W Model 19, the Model 49 was my first love. Attachment 298934 That is one ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree295Likes

Thread: What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver?

Quote Originally Posted by Dial1911 View Post
    As much as I liked the S&W Model 19, the Model 49 was my first love.

Attachment 298934
    That is one I wish I never sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    I carried a 3" 65 when I was In El Paso. Like a fool I let it go in a moment of weakness.
    A few years ago, when some California penal facility liquidated their revolvers, there were a ton of 65s available...mainly 4.

My dealer got a shipment of several, and was unboxing...cursed, and said they screwed up his order, there was one with a shorter barrel, he ordered all 4.

I saw it was a 3, no lock, firing pin on hammer, and said Id be glad to take it off his hands.

Which is how I got my 65-3, which would likely be my vote...closely followed by a J-frame.
    Bad Bob, msgt/ret, Pete63 and 4 others like this.

DG
    Quote Originally Posted by cal44 View Post
    My nomination for best is the Smith 340PD.

It's light. Shoots a powerful defensive round, 357 Magnus. Plus a lighter recoil practice round, 38 Special.

And it's reliable.

For runner up, the Ruger LCR 327. 327 Federal is one of the best rounds available, and 32 h&r Magnus is no slouch.

I'd love to see a 327 Federal Scandium J frame with 6 shot TI cylinder from Smith, but am not holding my breath.
    Obviously, it's subjective. Different strokes for different folks, so to speak. But I agree with you. I went with the 360 PD because I like the exposed hammer. Thumb it back and trigger pull is next to nothing. Not a target pistol. Good luck trying to take out a bad guy at 100 yards. But when you want someone to get off the top of you and quit hitting you, it'll win the argument.
    Old Man likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    To #1, I was an ASP instructor/trainer for about 10 years with the Border Patrol. PR-24 before that, KOGA baton as a cop and Night Stick as an Army MP. About 40 years using a club.

to #2, I don't know, most of our guys don't run suppressors.

An SP101 is not a very efficient club. More than one snubby has been discharged by striking someone in the noggin. If I want a club, I will carry one.
    I guess #2 went over your head.
    As to #1. Ah, nevermind. You're the expert.
    Good day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Where do you plan on striking them? It is a poor impact weapon. Intentional strikes to the head are considered deadly force, shooting them is the same level of force, legally..

You have just invented the next J frame innovation! A 10" expandable barrel! That would make it a very efficient striking weapon! Thanks! DR

I responded earlier in this thread, but I just gotta mention the 2.25" Ruger sp101 357 magnum and also the Smith and Wesson 640 pro.

I think either of those two, or the two I mentioned earlier, can go down as the "best-ever" concealed carry revolver.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver?-screenshot_20190723-203531_gallery_1563932637407.jpg  

What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver?-screenshot_20190723-203510_gallery_1563932647111.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Cuda66 View Post
    A few years ago, when some California penal facility liquidated their revolvers, there were a ton of 65s available...mainly 4.

My dealer got a shipment of several, and was unboxing...cursed, and said they screwed up his order, there was one with a shorter barrel, he ordered all 4.

I saw it was a 3, no lock, firing pin on hammer, and said Id be glad to take it off his hands.

Which is how I got my 65-3, which would likely be my vote...closely followed by a J-frame.
    That was very nice of you to help him out
    Cuda66 likes this.

VIP Member
    For me, it's this. 2 3/4" Redhawk, in .41 mag. Followed by the S&W model 58 it replaced (safe queen now). I've got a 4" model 19 (early 60's production) and TWO Ruger Security Six 2 3/4". For me, the only thing to trump this, was the S&W "MODEL 357" .41 mag, which were too much when available, & NOT available now!

What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver?-100_0759.jpg
    CWOUSCG likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    The Ruger LCR.
    I've got a NIB LCR. That's for when I get old!
    CWOUSCG and Glocking26 like this.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

For me my S&W 442 is my best ccw revolver; light, but not too light. Shootable. Very easily concealable, and worry-free. Close second is a hammerless Taurus 85 all steel frame in 38 spcl.

Haywood and Old Man like this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    To #1, I was an ASP instructor/trainer for about 10 years with the Border Patrol. PR-24 before that, KOGA baton as a cop and Night Stick as an Army MP. About 40 years using a club.

to #2, I don't know, most of our guys don't run suppressors.

An SP101 is not a very efficient club. More than one snubby has been discharged by striking someone in the noggin. If I want a club, I will carry one.
    Replying again now that I'm not busy doing other things.
    #1 If you were a trainer then you know that striking tools are not supposed to be used on the head. Other points on the body are the preferred targets.
    #2 Is just an example of using a firearm as an impact weapon, should you not have a baton/asp at hand.
    So you go through daily life with a PR24 on your belt?
    A scenario where one might chose not to shoot:
    An individual is advancing with a tire iron and threatening violence. There are several bystanders/witnesses, likely videoing what's happening. You draw your firearm and shout at them to stop. They drop their weapon but still advance and shouting. There's no time to holster your firearm (taking you eyes off the threat to holster the firearm as trainers preach) and pull your civilian nightstick (sarcasm). You don't want to be shooting an unarmed assailant. So you now improvise. Use what is at hand.
    Why are the trained experts hijacking threads lately? This is about CC revolvers. A handgun could be used as an improvised striking weapon, as could an ashtray, beer mug, or a rock.
    You do what you see fit, I'll do the same for me. We'll each deal with the outcome.
    Done with this thread hijack. Stay on topic.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

#1 If you were a trainer then you know that striking tools are not supposed to be used on the head. Other points on the body are the preferred targets.
    Indeed.

#2 Is just an example of using a firearm as an impact weapon, should you not have a baton/asp at hand.
    I used my 6" 686 and a 1911 as impact weapons at one time or another, not very efficient.

So you go through daily life with a PR24 on your belt?
    No, they suck unless using them as first developed from a tool to a weapon (Tonfa).

A scenario where one might chose not to shoot:
    An individual is advancing with a tire iron and threatening violence. There are several bystanders/witnesses, likely videoing what's happening. You draw your firearm and shout at them to stop. They drop their weapon but still advance and shouting. There's no time to holster your firearm (taking you eyes off the threat to holster the firearm as trainers preach) and pull your civilian nightstick (sarcasm). You don't want to be shooting an unarmed assailant. So you now improvise. Use what is at hand.
    In that scenario, you better be able to safely remove the pistol from the fight. If they are close enough for you to strike them they are close enough to disarm you. People that carry guns think that they do not need to know how to fight. Self Defense is a layered proposal, you need H2H skills, verbal skills, shooting should be the absolute last resort. You have gone WAY off topic to prove that a small handgun is a viable impact weapon, it ain't. If you do not possess the H2H skills to deal with the situation you are not going to know how to use your mousegun as a bludgeon. If you choose not to shoot the pistol should never leave the holster in the first place, it is not a talisman.

Why are the trained experts hijacking threads lately?
    Dunno, why did you?

This is about CC revolvers.
    It is.

A handgun could be used as an improvised striking weapon, as could an ashtray, beer mug, or a rock.
    You do what you see fit, I'll do the same for me. We'll each deal with the outcome.
    All the things you mentioned are small and dense really only effective for strikes to the head which means deadly force. May as well shoot them.

Done with this thread hijack. Stay on topic.
    FOR ME the winner was the SP101 357. I like the weight, it helps mitigate recoil and makes for a dandy "less lethal" impact weapon.
    Not a Hijack on my part, I merely responded to your remark in post #37. I was pointing out the fallacy of your statement and you went to great lengths, even creating a scenario where it might be appropriate. I stand by my opinion that your SP 101 is a poor impact weapon. You are certainly not going for a common peronial strike on an advancing BG.
    1gunsnowbird likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    I've got a NIB LCR. That's for when I get old!
    OR when you come realize you dont live in a border town in Mexico and dont need to stuff 2 pounds of steel down your pants and lug it around all day.
    Pete63 and 1gunsnowbird like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    OR when you come realize you dont live in a border town in Mexico and dont need to stuff 2 pounds of steel down your pants and lug it around all day.

True, to some extent. But, if you've seen the news down here, the past two months have been absolutely crazy, down south of me in the Houston area. An area I have to deal with traveling into weekly. There are other factor's in my concern also. I'll not go in to all the specific's now. But, needless to say, my situation is more involved than just "traveling" into a bad area. Jugging is on the up-rise again. Possibly the fact it's been a "hot summer" here has also lent to bringing out the "crazies" also. I will always expect the worst. BTDT.
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    [/B]

True, to some extent. But, if you've seen the news down here, the past two months have been absolutely crazy, down south of me in the Houston area. An area I have to deal with traveling into weekly. There are other factor's in my concern also. I'll not go in to all the specific's now. But, needless to say, my situation is more involved than just "traveling" into a bad area. Jugging is on the up-rise again. Possibly the fact it's been a "hot summer" here has also lent to bringing out the "crazies" also. I will always expect the worst. BTDT.
    Wow! I didnt notice where you live when I posted that. Sounds like you have a lot going on. Ok you win carry as big of a gun as you could. Be safe out there
    Pete63 and 1gunsnowbird like this.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Sponsored Links