What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver? - Page 6

What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver?

This is a discussion on What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; The one slammed into the guts. Well, so much for my bragadocio about eye poking and nose picking . . ....

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
Like Tree296Likes

Thread: What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver?

The one slammed into the guts.

Well, so much for my bragadocio about eye poking and nose picking . . .
    SWIll likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    Someone else on the forum clued me in to those. As a "jeans wearing guy" for 90% of the time, I'm going to invest in some!
    Was told by an old cowboy.
    Stetson's and Levi's are for city folks
    Cowboys wear Resistols and Wranglers.
    patkelly4370 and Pete63 like this.

Distinguished Member Array patkelly4370's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KILTED COWBOY View Post
    Was told by an old cowboy.
    Stetson's and Levi's are for city folks
    Cowboys wear Resistols and Wranglers.
    That's funny! I wear Resistol & Wrangler.
    I ain't no cowboy, though I work around our property and have horses (I don't ride them). Just common sense protection from the sun, critters, and cactus.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by patkelly4370 View Post
    That's funny! I wear Resistol & Wrangler.
    I ain't no cowboy, though I work around our property and have horses (I don't ride them). Just common sense protection from the sun, critters, and cactus.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    May not be a cowboy, but shows you have good taste.
    Now don't get me started on boots!

Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    I like my Ruger speed sixes but, for the overall most diverse concealed carry revolver I would have to vote 642/442. The others are just too heavy for a "floating gun" which is how I like to use my 642. 357 magnum from a lightweight is just too violent for consistent fast and accurate shooting one handed so for me the 357 belongs in an all steel revolver with a longer barrel.
    I can't think of a better gun to go from sweatpants pocket to coat pocket to waistband that can be fired from inside that coat pocket as well.
    I would go so far as to offer it up as the best all around concealed carry gun...period. Remember that "overall" covers a lot of applications to me even though there are better handguns for specific duties than an airweight snub.
    100% agree. I carry a 642 no-lock and I agree, it covers nearly all the bases. While I would rather carry my Glock 26 for the firepower aspect alone, it's just not something I can easily carry around the house in gym shorts or when I am in my business attire for work. "Easily" is the key word there. I tend to drift towards "no fuss, no muss" mode with concealed carry. The 642 checks all the boxes for me.

However, the G26 is always in the vehicle with 150 rounds in loaded magazines. The SHTF plan is that the 642 needs to get me to the car, the G26 needs to get me home, and when I'm home, I have a lot more to throw at the opposition.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    “Best-ever” means most-shootable, which, for me, is a GP100 with 4” or longer barrel, adjustable sights, and original-style OEM factory grip, or, an adjustable-sight K/L-Frame revolver with a suitable aftermarket/custom grip.

“Concealed carry” might mean some compromises, regarding the “Best-ever” part, depending upon weather/clothing factors. Among other things, the broad shoulders of my youth are less broad, today, so dressing around a large sixgun, especially in hot weather, is not so easy. Clearing a long-barreled weapon from a high-riding holster is not so easy, anymore, for the old shoulder, but, a low-riding holster requires a longer cover garment.

My 3” Wiley Clapp edition GP100, with tritium in the b-i-g front sight, might be a best compromise gun, in some low-light conditions. That big sight will not be best, for precision shooting, in daylight

It is easier for me to dress around a 3” SP101, so this one would be a candidate for the title, in good lighting conditions, but if I have to reload, during a confrontation, there is less work space, which shifts the “best” back toward a revolver that is somewhat larger than an SP101, but smaller than the GP100; perhaps my 2” S&W 64-2 or 2-3/4” Speed Six.

No Airlite J-snub can be a “best” for me; they are too small, and hurt too much to shoot, unless oversized grips are installed, and then, they are about as as big as a medium-sized weapon. The lack of work space, for reloading in a hurry, is another issue, for any J-Frame. These are, to me, niche weapons, which precludes them from being “best.” I am not hating J-Frames; I have two .38 Airlites, a .38 Airweight, and an all-stainless-steel .32 H&R. I almost never need something so small
    drmordo and msgt/ret like this.

Senior Moderator
    I'm more Smith & Wesson oriented, but I gotta agree with you Rexter that there is much to be said for the 4-inch barrel which is my very favorite barrel length of all for K-Frame, L-Frame, or N-Frame revolvers. OK, Colts too. Don't happen to have any Rugers on hand.

And, you're right, put a "grip-able" grip on a J-Frame and its compactness is diminished.
    Rexster, PhaedrusIV and msgt/ret like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I'm more Smith & Wesson oriented, but I gotta agree with you Rexter that there is much to be said for the 4-inch barrel which is my very favorite barrel length of all for K-Frame, L-Frame, or N-Frame revolvers. OK, Colts too. Don't happen to have any Rugers on hand.

And, you're right, put a "grip-able" grip on a J-Frame and its compactness is diminished.
    I used to have more S&W revolvers, in the Eighties and Nineties, and am starting to accumulate more, again, now.

I had a few Colts, too; a couple of Detective Specials, and a Stainless Python. My only remaining Colt was an SAA, but it disappeared, while disassembled, during the clean-up after Hurricane Harvey. (That one is still a mystery*.) The older DA Colts have become so collectible, and therefore expensive, I am less-likely to start buying them. I like SA sixguns, so might well own another SAA, someday.

*I was kept on duty, 24 hours, for almost a week, after Harvey hit. Then, it was 12-hour shifts, for a while.
    bmcgilvray and msgt/ret like this.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I carry larger guns frequently, but I have to agree with those that think a 3" .357 K/L frame is the best balance of weight, concealability, firepower, and shootability. I also have a GP100 Wiley Clapp, and while the trigger is not as buttery as a S&W, I love the ergonomics of the GP100 compact grip and it's got just enough heft to make 357 almost pleasant to shoot.

I need to shoot and carry mine more.

What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver?-20190101_022340.jpg

EDIT: I should add that I do carry a 3" revolver frequently, but it's a M629.

What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver?-629-holster-1.jpg

If I had it, my vote would be for the 2.5" Python that Dad had. But, alas, it went to my brother. I got 'stuck' with the 4". I have yet to get a pancake for it. I saw a nice older Detective Special at a LGS for about 650, but my preference is for a .357.

On a side note, has anyone had any experience with the EAA Windicator all steel .357 in either 2 or 4 inch?

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry9008 View Post
    On a side note, has anyone had any experience with the EAA Windicator all steel .357 in either 2 or 4 inch?
    I held one in my hands and was not very impressed. Clunky design with a very heavy trigger, and cannot be disassembled for a trigger job. It's a definite step above a Rock Island, but I wouldn't buy one. I'd look at Charter Arms, Taurus, or Rossi. Heck, right now Aim Surplus has S&W M65 (DAO stainless .357 K frame with fixed sights) for $419. I'd snap up one of the those if I was in the market.
    Last edited by drmordo; August 21st, 2019 at 10:24 PM.
    Henry9008 likes this.

My vote goes for the Charter Arms® Undercover™ DAO...
    https://charterfirearms.com/collecti...cover-blue-dao
    Henry9008 likes this.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Sponsored Links