Defensive Carry banner

What is the best-ever concealed carry revolver?

15K views 86 replies 54 participants last post by  dawei 
#1 ·
My nomination for best is the Smith 340PD.

It's light. Shoots a powerful defensive round, 357 Magnus. Plus a lighter recoil practice round, 38 Special.

And it's reliable.

For runner up, the Ruger LCR 327. 327 Federal is one of the best rounds available, and 32 h&r Magnus is no slouch.

I'd love to see a 327 Federal Scandium J frame with 6 shot TI cylinder from Smith, but am not holding my breath.

#36 ·
3" K frame 357 magnum. Best fighting revolver made. This one is the blued model 13, made in 1982.

View attachment 298888
Which was the FBI issue gun for a number of years, if I'm not mistaken. An affordable three-inch M13 is on my wish list! (Although I'd "settle" for a 3-inch M65)

#9 ·
I like my Ruger speed sixes but, for the overall most diverse concealed carry revolver I would have to vote 642/442. The others are just too heavy for a "floating gun" which is how I like to use my 642. 357 magnum from a lightweight is just too violent for consistent fast and accurate shooting one handed so for me the 357 belongs in an all steel revolver with a longer barrel.
I can't think of a better gun to go from sweatpants pocket to coat pocket to waistband that can be fired from inside that coat pocket as well.
I would go so far as to offer it up as the best all around concealed carry gun...period. Remember that "overall" covers a lot of applications to me even though there are better handguns for specific duties than an airweight snub.

#80 ·
100% agree. I carry a 642 no-lock and I agree, it covers nearly all the bases. While I would rather carry my Glock 26 for the firepower aspect alone, it's just not something I can easily carry around the house in gym shorts or when I am in my business attire for work. "Easily" is the key word there. I tend to drift towards "no fuss, no muss" mode with concealed carry. The 642 checks all the boxes for me.

However, the G26 is always in the vehicle with 150 rounds in loaded magazines. The SHTF plan is that the 642 needs to get me to the car, the G26 needs to get me home, and when I'm home, I have a lot more to throw at the opposition.

#13 ·
I have to agree with forester 58 on the Speed Six but I would also add the original Colt Cobra! The Cobra had a top notch trigger that made for a VERY accurate snubby!

#75 ·
Same for me. Have same gun, same holster. Have an Uncle Mike's inside pocket holster that is better fitting. The 442 is my "go anywhere gun" and is the one I keep in a lock box in the car so I can just drop it into a pocket when I'm out and about town. It's light enough to not feel like a hunk of steel, and curvy enough not to feel like a gun. Don't worry about mags or springs or unloading the one in the chamber... keep it loaded with HST Micro +P and 10 more on two Bianchi speed strips.

#15 · (Edited)
These two are the best-ever concealed carry revolvers. That's just the way it is. And Bob, as in bad, is right. The 3-inch with its easy full ejection stroke might be very best.

Smith & Wesson K-Frame Magnums. 2 1/2-inch Model 66 (top) and a 3-inch Smith & Wesson Model 13 (bottom). Both in .357 Magnum.

I'm a creature of habit though and don't carry them all that often though, instead totin' the plebeian and boring Smith & Wesson Model 10 Heavy Barrel in .38 Special. Leaving for a trip into Abilene in a moment and it'll tag along beneath a covering sport coat.

#18 ·
I had a 442 and it was so very nice to carry. Shooting it? Well, that was another story. I hated shooting it and I got rid of it. I did have, however, a S&W 686 snub that I foolishly traded. It was heavier and a little bulkier, but it was the best revolver I have had. It was concealable (with some effort) and with a good belt and holster, it was easy to carry. Someday, I will get one again - wood grip panels with finger grooves, great gun.

#22 ·
442 pro gets my vote, but look out for the k6s. It hasn't been around all that long to be considered "best-ever" , but it's still a contender, mainly because of that 6th hole and that o so sweet trigger right out of the box.

Attachments

#24 ·
I go back and forth between my KLCR .357 and 642. Often have carried both. Currently the KLCR is my love interest. The SP101 2.25 ain't no slouch either in my book !! But, if I could only have one, it'd be the KLCR .357.

Reactions: 5lima30ret
#25 ·
Detective Special of mine, and I must say I am jealous of some of the carry revolvers you guys have. I RARELY see a decent vintage totable Smith or Colt on the LGS shelves, and least a decent one that is not overpriced, IMO. Of course, if the market supports the high price, more power to the seller. A free market rules!

Attachments

#30 ·
For me, it depends...

A 640 J frame is mighty tough to beat. I do favor the steel Js...

But for a more serious all around carry revolver, I’d opt for one I’ve lusted after but never owned:

A Smith 686+ 3”...

Now THAT is something I could run. I guess I’m big enough I could carry it all day long.

If only it was offered without the IL....

#41 ·
I would also vote for the 340PD. I carry mine AIWB mostly. It is light, strong, ultra concealable and a potent powerhouse when loaded up with good ammo. Oh sure the full house 357 rounds are a beast to shoot in it but hey, it’s there if you need it. I really like that big fiber optic front sight on mine too. Great little revolver; the last revolver I’d part with out of the ones I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.