Revolvers

Revolvers

This is a discussion on Revolvers within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Are they making a come back? I've seen quite a bit of talk about revolvers lately, here and elsewhere. Are we seeing a resurgence in ...

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree531Likes

Thread: Revolvers

Revolvers

Are they making a come back? I've seen quite a bit of talk about revolvers lately, here and elsewhere. Are we seeing a resurgence in interest for EDC?
    bmcgilvray, wmhawth, DZUS and 3 others like this.

Sister says "There are Angels walking among us. If they're mean they're not Angels and you can shoot them"

Black Rifles Matter

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Probably just a blip...with all of the great pistols available today, the days of the revolver are pretty much over...they have been relegated to a pretty small market share. If you doubt that...just go in ANY gun shop and check ratio of revolvers to pistols in their display. However, I will say that I think shops would sell considerably more revolvers if they had a better selection on hand.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    Speaking for myself there was a time when my EDC was a S&W M19, but those days are long in the past. On occasion I'll carry a S&W M640-38Spl as a back up to my primary EDC which is a S&W Shield 9X19mm.
    CWOUSCG and Sister like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

No, they are the true shooting experience. Like the sky, the earth and the oceans, they are forever.
    Read our government's plan to destroy the Constitution.
    https://sustainabledevelopment.un.or...ormingourworld

My last few purchases have been revolvers. Are others listening to the sound of the same drummer? Dunno... but I still itch for a few more.

S&W sells a boat load of them, Colt is selling them as fast as they can make them, Kimbers, Charters.....

I think many people are discovering that a hi cap wonder nine is not really a big advantage to the civilian CCW'r. Add to the mix magazine cap limits and it gets better. I do not feel under armed with a magnum revolver.
    flh, bmcgilvray, Pete63 and 14 others like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

VIP Member
    I have not stopped carrying one for decades. Yes, I carry auto's also, but as you know I carry "BOTH"! My Redhawk is carried at 1:00 IWB, my dominate hand. BUT, I carry a .40 S&W sub-compact at 11:00 OWB, and practice with it just as often. Revolvers have advantages auto's don't. I'll never "not carry one". OP, I agree though, in that some revolvers seem to be on the upswing in popularity.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Senior Moderator
    Livin' the dream here in Fogy-ville for revolvers never have stopped gettin' toted.

It took OD*, Deadguy, PAcanis and the rest of those zanny yay-hoos in "The Official 1911 Thread" to induce me to go back to toting the 1911-gun on occasion. This forum's a baaad influence.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete63 View Post
    some revolvers seem to be on the upswing in popularity.
    Unfortunately, that ain't saying much seeing as how they have been in the tank for the better part of 2 decades.
    CWOUSCG and Sister like this.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Quote Originally Posted by scottync View Post
    My last few purchases have been revolvers. Are others listening to the sound of the same drummer? Dunno... but I still itch for a few more.
    Now that you mention it, I've bought 4 revolvers and one 1911 in the last year.

Sister says "There are Angels walking among us. If they're mean they're not Angels and you can shoot them"

Black Rifles Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    S&W sells a boat load of them, Colt is selling them as fast as they can make them, Kimbers, Charters.....

I think many people are discovering that a hi cap wonder nine is not really a big advantage to the civilian CCW'r. Add to the mix magazine cap limits and it gets better. I do not feel under armed with a magnum revolver.
    I don't even feel undergunned with a small revolver! DR

I am more of an old school traditionalist give me an all steel revolver with some heft to it. Just like the new plastic pistols the new lighter than air kick like a mule even in 22LR revolvers hold no fascination for me. Being a frequent attendee of gun shows I have noticed more revolvers mixed in with the plastic pistols and more people fondling the revolvers but did not hang around long enough to see what was purchased.

My idea of a proper revolver for carry.
    Revolvers-swm10_bb_r.jpg
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."
    A 9MM MAY expand to .45 but a 45ACP will never shrink to 9MM.

My kids don't see much use for a revolver. But I do. My wife likes them because they are so simple to make safe. Open the cylinder! No slide to manipulate, No mag spring to fight ammo past. And if you pull the trigger and dont hear a bang, you just pull the trigger again! And she can load it herself![ She told me so!]. DR

I think a reliable indicator is new product introductions. If a company is putting R&D and marketing expense into a plaform, that indicates they think it's viable. In a recent Shooting Illustrated overview of new guns for 2019, there were:
    • 41 new pistols (interestingly 9 of them were 1911s)
    • 19 new rifle, SBR or rifle-type pistols
    • 6 new revolvers

Also the top five handgun models sold in 2018 were autos. According to ATF, the sales of handguns in 2015, which is the latest year I could find online, were 3,557,199 pistols to 885,259 wheelguns so about four to one. So auto pistols dominate, but companies are still putting their money behind revolvers and they are still selling. I do think they are more for the older generation who have been carrying them forever. So I don't know about a comeback, but they are still a viable part of the market.
    bill35738 and BamaT like this.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    I don't think they're going to be building any 500 S&W autoloaders...
    LimaCharlie and PEF like this.
    Arsenal? That's not an arsenal, that's my gun collection! John Wick, now he has an arsenal.

NRA Patron member

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links