5 Rounds of .38 vs 8 Rounds of .380?? - Page 8

5 Rounds of .38 vs 8 Rounds of .380??

This is a discussion on 5 Rounds of .38 vs 8 Rounds of .380?? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bad Bob For those of us that carried a 15-20 lb gunbelt for decades a steel J frame is not an issue. ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
Like Tree284Likes

Thread: 5 Rounds of .38 vs 8 Rounds of .380??

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    For those of us that carried a 15-20 lb gunbelt for decades a steel J frame is not an issue.

Carry what makes you happy. I usually carry a fullsize Glock and a reload these days, but that is me.
    Appears the emphasis more about wearing a certain type clothing than carry, as stated here ...

Quote Originally Posted by bosco1 View Post
    Not in terms of weight, however. With the Kahr (which I owned) you are back up to that 17 ounce range, which makes athletic wear or belt-less shorts difficult.
    Smartcarry allows wearing athletic / belt-less clothing without being limited to what carries best in a flimsy pocket.
    Maybe there are other options than Smartcarry?
    Or maybe a flimsy pocket on belt-less shorts is a set limitation.

If flimsy doesn't best describe the pocket on those belt-less shorts, I stand corrected in advance.
    Bad Bob likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    For those of us that carried a 15-20 lb gunbelt for decades a steel J frame is not an issue.

Carry what makes you happy. I usually carry a fullsize Glock and a reload these days, but that is me.
    I was an LEO for over 30 years, and usually carried a Sig 229, two full mags of 40, and a bunch of other gear. So it's not that I can't tolerate it.

But if you look back at the OP, my issue is what to carry on days when I'm either in athletic gear, shorts without a belt, etc. Based on plenty of experimentation, even a 17 oz gun really flops around in those circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    Appears the emphasis more about wearing a certain type clothing than carry, as stated here ...

Smartcarry allows wearing athletic / belt-less clothing without being limited to what carries best in a flimsy pocket.
    Maybe there are other options than Smartcarry?
    Or maybe a flimsy pocket on belt-less shorts is a set limitation.

If flimsy doesn't best describe the pocket on those belt-less shorts, I stand corrected in advance.
    You summed it out quite well, with the slight correction being that I rarely pocket carry...usually IWB works fine for me, and in my experience allows me to carry a slightly bigger gun.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I was an LEO for over 30 years, and usually carried a Sig 229, two full mags of 40, and a bunch of other gear. So it's not that I can't tolerate it.

But if you look back at the OP, my issue is what to carry on days when I'm either in athletic gear, shorts without a belt, etc. Based on plenty of experimentation, even a 17 oz gun really flops around in those circumstances.
    On the weekends, I’m just not going to be dressing around a gun, and like you I find myself wearing more light athletic type clothing.
    I have found that guns within the weight of a Bodyguard, LCP, or the Titanium framed j frames work well for me in such clothing. 12 ounces is great, and 15 ounces is the upper limit.
    Wavygravy and 5lima30ret like this.
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

Senior Member Array CreedDryrot's Avatar

I've read the entire thread, but not in one sitting, so I honestly don't know if this has been suggested. Forgive me if it has. Have you tried a belly band? I saw that you normally carry IWB, and you can slide the band down so that it approximates that. You can move them pretty much all over your torso to put the gun wherever you'd like it to be.
    Obiwan likes this.

Proper carry is the key. About the only thing that works for those restrictions would be a belly band or similar system. With the belly band I can carry any pistol I want concealed, as long as the clothes cover it.
    Obiwan likes this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

Charter Arms Pitbull 6 shot 380acp revolver ...99.9 % realiable , light recoil and Underwood 90gr XTP 380acp +P

Late reply, but thought this was worth putting out there.

If you're doing the carry with gym shorts thing, I would think the best way to accomplish that would be some sort of system where the gym shorts aren't taking the weight (gym shorts not being the best form of weight carrying outerwear. Try something like a belly band or smart carry system, where that device transfers the weight directly to the body. This way the gym shorts don't have to carry the load, and don't dictate your carry weapon.

Not in terms of weight, however. With the Kahr (which I owned) you are back up to that 17 ounce range, which makes athletic wear or belt-less shorts difficult.
    scbair likes this.

Well, I may have found my solution. Following the suggestion of some here, I checked out the Kel Tec PF-9. 8 rounds of 9mm in a 13 oz package pretty much fits the bill perfectly. I had been a bit reticent based on some lukewarm reviews about snappy recoil and a lousy trigger, but I jumped when a deal popped up on gunbroker.

I've only got about 100 rounds of mixed ammo, both range and hot SD rounds, but I think I've found my solution. 100% reliable, manageable recoil (certainly far, far easier on the hand than an Airweight or scandium j-frame), and a surprisingly decent DA trigger.

It sure ain't pretty to look at, but it does it's job.
    Talldog likes this.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8

Sponsored Links