Carry rotation, again... - Page 6

Carry rotation, again...

This is a discussion on Carry rotation, again... within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 The porage on left is too cold...The porage on the right is too hot....The one in the middle is just right ...

View Poll Results: Do you have a carry "rotation"?

Voters
146. You may not vote on this poll
  • I always carry exactly the same pistol year round.

32 21.92%
  • I switch pistols according to season, environment, activity, etc.

58 39.73%
  • I switch pistols that I am carrying whenever the mood strikes me to do so.

45 30.82%
  • Other?

11 7.53%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Like Tree228Likes

Thread: Carry rotation, again...

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    The porage on left is too cold...The porage on the right is too hot....The one in the middle is just right
    But do we ever really know whats gonna happen at any place or any time?....We all have to find our own balance in there somwhere.
    That's why, with some forethought, one can err on the side of caution and pick something more suitable for the potential any venue might afford. One 1911 served me well for the majority of the work loads in nasty venues. Two at hand only gave me more options [ one set up for either hand, the other strong side ], or 1 1911 strong side with a J frame in the opposite back pocket etc ] and more ammo on tap without having to make a reload.

Senior Moderator
    I went to the local club range this morning toting a Colt Official Police as a result of this very thread, just because I could. Should have shot it some, but am currently low (as in "running on fumes") on .38 Special ammunition. So, I shot .45 automatics and .22s instead. Range is remote, at the edge of town, but far from a road, secluded and not near any residences. A side arm is always worn in case of any intruders who might wander up.

Maybe we need a separate thread where we can confess our "transgressions" with regards to the serious carrying of unlikely side arms.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

ďNo possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.Ē

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

The more I think about it, I have no rational reason why I donít carry my RAPc every day.

Maybe itís a way to justify keeping the others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Cornhusker95 likes this.
    Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations; entangling alliances with none. ~Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    That's why, with some forethought, one can err on the side of caution and pick something more suitable for the potential any venue might afford. One 1911 served me well for the majority of the work loads in nasty venues. Two at hand only gave me more options [ one set up for either hand, the other strong side ], or 1 1911 strong side with a J frame in the opposite back pocket etc ] and more ammo on tap without having to make a reload.
    But do we really know?... aren't we just guessing?....I can pretty much guarantee if a story came across about a shooting at a venue
    And a guy used 30 rounds and 2 mags but was still dead....Someone would say...If he just would of had 4 mags and 2 back up revolvers
    he may still be here with us...He was under armed and it cost him.

Now so this doesn't get confused by some....I would never carry just a small caliber gun anywhere and call it a day no matter what i was doing.

The poll shows i am the minority and that's OK...Although i think the poll has been hacked....We need to check on that

But do we really know?... aren't we just guessing?....I can pretty much guarantee if a story came across about a shooting at a venue
    And a guy used 30 rounds and 2 mags but was still dead....Someone would say...If he just would of had 4 mags and 2 back up revolvers
    he may still be here with us...He was under armed and it cost him.

Now so this doesn't get confused by some....I would never carry just a small caliber gun anywhere and call it a day no matter what i was doing.

The poll shows i am the minority and that's OK...Although i think the poll has been hacked....We need to check on that
    Running a roving surveillance with several vehicles all day presents less risk than walking around a project of minorities being a lone white male. Ya, I could pretty much determine the risks between the two types of work. In the vehicle all day tailing some turd/OC character? I wouldn't need two 1911's or two snubs that day, but the next day working Blue Hill Ave. in Roxbury near the Dudley train station? Better have more not less in the way of caliber, rds on tap.

Looked at another way, the lion tamer is safe without his whip and chair outside the cage. Once he steps into that cage, he better have that whip and chair at the very least. Walking into the lions den of turds in projects or bad sections of the cities, a different set of tools were necessary, that forethought saved my ass more than once.
    G26Raven and Militant like this.

Running a roving surveillance with several vehicles all day presents less risk than walking around a project of minorities being a lone white male. Ya, I could pretty much determine the risks between the two types of work. In the vehicle all day tailing some turd/OC character? I wouldn't need two 1911's or two snubs that day, but the next day working Blue Hill Ave. in Roxbury near the Dudley train station? Better have more not less in the way of caliber, rds on tap.

Looked at another way, the lion tamer is safe without his whip and chair outside the cage. Once he steps into that cage, he better have that whip and chair at the very least. Walking into the lions den of turds in projects or bad sections of the cities, a different set of tools were necessary, that forethought saved my ass more than once.
    Okay my heads spinning now....But it sounds like somewhere you got confused...If you can carry a larger gun with higher capacity to a seedy place just in case.
    Carry it to the store...Heck carry it everywhere...Why sacrifice?...Would you carry that small whip into the lion cage when a larger whip is sitting there...If a zoo keeper said
    he may be in there or he may not...Its'a surprise....Choose which whip wisely sir.

You get the last word on this.....

Okay my heads spinning now....But it sounds like somewhere you got confused...If you can carry a larger gun with higher capacity to a seedy place just in case.
    Carry it to the store...Heck carry it everywhere...Why sacrifice?...Would you carry that small whip into the lion cage when a larger whip is sitting there...If a zoo keeper said
    he may be in there or he may not...Its'a surprise....Choose which whip wisely sir.

You get the last word on this.....
    Mine was more carry one or two based on venue. In the lion cage analogy, that would mean taking two whips not one. But to answer your question, because two 45 ounce 1911's [ loaded ] weren't deemed worthy of the days assignments/venues and some days it was prudent to have the forethought to perceived elevated risk/s.

It's identifying where one may run into a cage of lions and one is very unlikely to even see their cage./

Distinguished Member
    "It's identifying where one may run into a cage of lions and one is very unlikely to even see their cage./ " @AzQkr

^^^ That was basically my point way back in this discussion. Yes, I will carry my .380 to the village grocery. I will arm up going into riskier situations.
    As @glockman10mm also said, "And really, the concept of arming up or down is certainly not lost on certain military groups or people who are in the profession of arms.
    And its certainly not lost on people who apply a little critical thinking in to the needs and application of it to their changing environments."
    AzQkr, G26Raven and Kilowatt3 like this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

No rotation really. Just one of two options.

90% of the time itís dual pocket LCPs, due to attire and NPE at work
    Rest of the time itís a Glock OWB and a pocket LCP on the other side
    G26Raven, Militant and Mike1956 like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Distinguished Member Array ca survivor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    I don't subscribe to that old; "carry the same gun, the same way, every day" adage anymore. It's played out to me.

I merely live by the "ABC's" = Always Be Carrying!

I carry whatever I feel like carrying that day (i.e. 9mm, .45, HK, Walther or 1911 etc.). I just make sure that I keep a piece on me (and I always know "which" one I'm carrying at the time) and I don't stress over things like this as most seem to.
    I feel the same way, my EDCs gets a rest some times, or a divorce like I did with the Glocks.
    Militant and Henry9008 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Interesting,

Developing the proprioception for back pocket carry of J's to first shot in one second; developing a different set of proprioceptors for strong side to first shot in one second carrying full/mid sized guns of various flavors; developing same for AIWB to first shot with anything from a snub to full/mid sized semi's.

One CAN develop sufficient proprioception for various methods of carry with different firearms accessed from different locations on the body. If all you have time for is developing one skill with one pistol, go for it. I prefer to be more well rounded in my carry options and training.
    See, this is what I'm talking about. Great post!

For me, to assume that one's "muscle memory" is to be only limited to one specific type of carrying piece is archaic in my book. Again, I get it! I really do! I understand the principle for which that line of thinking is based on and yet, at the same time, situations and circumstances change from day to day and my "variety" of pieces (i.e. 9mm, .40 or .45 or compact and subcompact etc.) enables me to carry a piece for self-defense "regardless" of the situation or circumstances (i.e. movies, dinner or church etc.) that I may have in a given day. So far, my way has served me well!
    AzQkr, Mike1956 and Wavygravy like this.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Senior Moderator
    So after about 85 votes, only 16% stick with the same gun all the time. 70% of us "celebrate diversity"!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member Array ColoradoDiablo's Avatar
    I rotate by activity and weather. In the winter I prefer to carry .45 ACP (heck I prefer to carry .45 ACP all the time but there are times when even a G30S is too heavy, etc). Other times, hotter weather, etc. I'll carry a 9mm (a G45 chopped down to G19 sized grip or a G48) and other times (sport shorts) I'll carry a .380 G42. If in the woods I'll carry either a G20 or a G29. The only constant is that all of my carry firearms are the same exact manual of arms and sights.
    U.S. Army, Retired (1986 to 2014)
    Life Member, Veterans of Foreign Wars

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    So after about 85 votes, only 16% stick with the same gun all the time. 70% of us "celebrate diversity"!
    See post 69...I admitted defeat...Shocker huh?
    But it doesn't change my opinion on the subject.

Been a good active day on DC today...Things picked up a bit.
    Been slow lately...For me anyway.

I've enjoyed reading this thread. I am one who carries different guns for different reasons but I understand both sides of this debate. This thread did encourage me to clean my CM9 and get it ready for carry tomorrow.
    Militant and Poorly like this.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sponsored Links