Speed of presentation vs accuracy: What is the most important to you - Page 11

Speed of presentation vs accuracy: What is the most important to you

This is a discussion on Speed of presentation vs accuracy: What is the most important to you within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Mike1956 When the gear gets in the way of acquiring the skills being imparted, I change the gear. After repeated draws from ...

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree513Likes

Thread: Speed of presentation vs accuracy: What is the most important to you

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    When the gear gets in the way of acquiring the skills being imparted, I change the gear. After repeated draws from concealment, the undergarment comes untucked, or the cover garment finds its way into the holster, just as examples. Those serve as big distractions from what the instructor is trying to impart. That became glaringly apparent to me during TDI's close quarters class, where repeatedly holstering while one's back or side was an integral part of range safety.
    It's that very added risk you mention that would set my hair on fire for two full days with 16-20 students running two lines nearly constantly.
    Mike1956 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    It's that very added risk you mention that would set my hair on fire for two full days with 16-20 students running two lines nearly constantly.
    I purchased range holsters for all my carry guns after the ECQ class at TDI. As the guy on the ground setting instructors' hair on fire trying to safely holster, I made up my mind never again.
    AzQkr likes this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

Be careful what you put out there. The Universe is listening.

Well, if you want a solid hit on a running deer or a flying pheasant then maybe we should rephrase this question.
    AzQkr likes this.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Doghandler View Post
    Well, if you want a solid hit on a running deer or a flying pheasant then maybe we should rephrase this question.
    Either lead it more, or lead it less, depending. Hope that helps.
    Bad Bob likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Fair enough. I just want to see a graduate of this technique be able to demonstrate to me something that cannot be achieved with training in the current , modern training facilities. Something that the MT is lacking in.

So, if you can’t do it, I totally understand.
    I'm going to have to decide whether the squeeze is worth the juice on that one or not.

Hundreds of drawstrokes per day over a two-day period in the Florida heat do not lend themselves well to taking the training from concealment.
    That kind of reminds of the guy who dials in his hunting rifle on a rest at the range while being nice and comfortable
    then on a spot and stalk hunt has to take shot while standing with no rest....Or the Bow hunter who practices all summer from
    from the ground in a t shirt but once hunting season starts and climbs into a tree stand with all sorts of bulky clothing on.
    I like to practice the same way i am gonna play....I say this because we are are being so technical in all our arguments here
    on what we believe is better and what we see as a right vs wrong way of doing things.
    matthew03 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    That kind of reminds of the guy who dials in his hunting rifle on a rest at the range while being nice and comfortable
    then on a spot and stalk hunt has to take shot while standing with no rest.....
    I sight in all my rifles from a rest, or prone with a bipod. Sighting in has to do with maximizing mechanical accuracy, not practice or training. I know if I miss, its my fault. Except the case last year where I took my 6" L frame out for a long distance match and missed the first shot @ 50 yards taking my out of the match. I went home and discovered I was hitting 1 1/2 foot high and left @ 50 yards. Still my fault.....
    AzQkr likes this.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Hundreds of drawstrokes per day over a two-day period in the Florida heat do not lend themselves well to taking the training from concealment.
    That falls into the category of if it ain't raining you ain't training. Without the cover garment you are missing 1/3 the complexity of the CC draw.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

VIP Member
    then on a spot and stalk hunt has to take shot while standing with no rest....Or the Bow hunter who practices all summer from
    from the ground in a t shirt but once hunting season starts and climbs into a tree stand with all sorts of bulky clothing on.
    I like to practice the way i am gonna play.
    I understand the difference between training and practice. When an instructor who I'm paying good money to advises me that my purposes in his class would be better served with a particular set-up, I generally take him at his word.
    AzQkr and Bad Bob like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    That falls into the category of if it ain't raining you ain't training. Without the cover garment you are missing 1/3 the complexity of the CC draw.
    Posts 149, 150, 151, and 159 pretty much cover it.

I'm going to have to decide whether the squeeze is worth the juice on that one or not.
    His "I just want to see a graduate of this technique" identifies one of the problems Mike. As you know, it's not simply one skill within the genre of threat focused, known otherwise by some as point shooting.

Perhaps the person could demonstrate something using fsp/MT or flash sight picture that can't be accomplished by threat focused. You speak from experience on the skills, others speak uneducated opinions having never been formally introduced to the skills. One of the best answers was your reply that having taken multiple MT/FSP formal training over many years, it took a weekend threat focused course for you to see the results you were seeking in your skills development.

Hundreds of AAR's from people with various years of training shooting with their sights, like yourself, have elucidated how much improvement they'd made in just a weekend of threat focused training. Your assessment of the skills acquired in the courses of fire is based on YOUR extensive past MT/FSP training. Your open mind allowed you to increase your own shooting skills/ability as you've reported. Something FSP/MT could not fill for you over years of attending formal training within that genre.

I'd think your assessments of the benefits to you personally would go unchallenged. No one but you can possibly have lived your personal experiences to claim otherwise, yet the battle rages on, and lets note that that raging only comes from the fsp/mt shooters who've not attended the same threat focused courses of fire you have and thus don't speak from a position of experience as you do.

VIP Member
    I sight in all my rifles from a rest, or prone with a bipod. Sighting in has to do with maximizing mechanical accuracy, not practice or training. I know if I miss, its my fault. Except the case last year where I took my 6" L frame out for a long distance match and missed the first shot @ 50 yards taking my out of the match. I went home and discovered I was hitting 1 1/2 foot high and left @ 50 yards. Still my fault.....
    BTDT.
    Bad Bob likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    His "I just want to see a graduate of this technique" identifies one of the problems Mike. As you know, it's not simply one skill within the genre of threat focused, known otherwise by some as point shooting.

Perhaps the person could demonstrate something using fsp/MT or flash sight picture that can't be accomplished by threat focused. You speak from experience on the skills, others speak uneducated opinions having never been formally introduced to the skills. One of the best answers was your reply that having taken multiple MT/FSP formal training over many years, it took a weekend threat focused course for you to see the results you were seeking in your skills development.

Hundreds of AAR's from people with various years of training shooting with their sights, like yourself, have elucidated how much improvement they'd made in just a weekend of threat focused training. Your assessment of the skills acquired in the courses of fire is based on YOUR extensive past MT/FSP training. Your open mind allowed you to increase your own shooting skills/ability as you've reported. Something FSP/MT could not fill for you over years of attending formal training within that genre.
    I know there are several members here, including mods who have trained with you. I've yet to see anyone who has actually gone through any of your courses say anything negative about your techniques, methods, results or you personally.

Anybody?
    AzQkr and Rick McC. like this.

Well that is good place to start and a real time saver...But we aren't robots...Of course if you are spot on from a rest and you miss
    out hunting no matter how you have to take the shot... it's is your fault...Sitting and shooting off a rest is not close to how you are gonna take that shot out hunting.
    in most cases...Don't we make the argument on here that the real world is not sitting on a range and standing in one spot punching holes in paper.

Sighting in has nothing to do with practice or training?...So you just sight in your hunting rigs with a half box of shells off a bench
    and say i am good...You throw a few arrows in your yard from the ground in your gym shorts and sleeveless shirt and call it good?

VIP Member
    Well that is good place to start and a real time saver...But we aren't robots...Of course if you are spot on from a rest and you miss
    out hunting no matter how you have to take the shot... it's is your fault...Sitting and shooting off a rest is not close to how you are gonna take that shot out hunting.
    in most cases...Don't we make the argument on here that the real world is not sitting on a range and standing in one spot punching holes in paper.

Sighting in has nothing to do with practice or training?...So you just sight in your hunting rigs with a half box of shells off a bench
    and say i am good...You throw a few arrows in your yard from the ground in your gym shorts and sleeveless shirt and call it good?
    No, sighting in has nothing to do with practice or training.
    Bad Bob likes this.

Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links