Speed of presentation vs accuracy: What is the most important to you - Page 2

Speed of presentation vs accuracy: What is the most important to you

This is a discussion on Speed of presentation vs accuracy: What is the most important to you within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While I'd like to have a goodly measure of both speed of presentation and accuracy, I'm going to come down on the accuracy side if ...

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
Like Tree513Likes

Thread: Speed of presentation vs accuracy: What is the most important to you

Senior Moderator
    While I'd like to have a goodly measure of both speed of presentation and accuracy, I'm going to come down on the accuracy side if forced to make a choice between the two.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

Freedom and responsibility appear to have been no more than an experimental blip in human history.”

Distinguished Member Array Shootnlead's Avatar
    Time to first shot...that is where my emphasis is placed. If I presented and that does the trick...it would be a GREAT day...but I ain't banking on that happening.
    “The everyday man who holsters a handgun for come-what-may eventualities cannot improve on a .44 Special revolver.” Skeeter Skelton

Fast is fine but accuracy is final.
    ...Wyatt Earp

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Ex Member
    Sped and accuracy are inseparable. Neglect one and you are at a disadvantage in a gunfight. There is an advantage to getting the first shot or two off before the opponent. Except for those who experienced military combat, most people have never been shot at. I have never been shot at in civilian life. I was shot at too many times in Nam to want to remember them, but the first time of few times you get shot at in battle you quicklime to understand how disconcerting it is. It is a real test of your concentration. So, if your opponent has never been shot at getting the first shots off can be a distinct advantage. However, if your opponent has developed the self discipline to deal with billets flying at him, you better be accurate with any follow up shots, and that had to come quickly. That said, if you can be fast an accurate then you have an advantage. If you do not or cannot develop that skill then accuracy is a must. You have to get bullets on target rather than be fast and miss. It is not a perfect world.

I guess it depends on how accurate we are talking. I want to put effective hits on target as fast as possible.
    a poor plan that is well executed will produce better results that a good plan that is poorly executed.

This is America. I have the right to go places. You have the right to stay home. You have the right to be upset about me going places. I have the right to not care.

Accuracy would be my only hope. Last time I thought I was fast I was about 8 or 9 with Mattel Fanner Fifty with Shootin shells.

I think there was movie "The quick and the dead", that says a lot. I watch a lot of old westerns, and when the good guy is teaching a tenderfoot to shoot, he always tells them that accuracy is more important than speed (I know, it is just tv or movies, but I think the advise is still valid). Their reasoning is that the bad guy will shoot fast, but probably not as accurate so there will be time to get a good aim and end it.
    duane_wade likes this.
    By now our forefathers would be shooting.

Life is too important to take seriously.

Lansing Muzzle Loading Gun Club
    visit us at: http://www.lansingmuzzleloadinggunclub.com/

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoDeer View Post
    I think there was movie "The quick and the dead", that says a lot. I watch a lot of old westerns, and when the good guy is teaching a tenderfoot to shoot, he always tells them that accuracy is more important than speed (I know, it is just tv or movies, but I think the advise is still valid). Their reasoning is that the bad guy will shoot fast, but probably not as accurate so there will be time to get a good aim and end it.
    You are correct that such lessons are the stuff movies are made of. Assuming that the other gut is going to shoot fast and be inaccurate could get you killed if you shoot inaccurately or too slowly. Problem is that you never know the competency level of the other person until you engage. That is why I say take a quickly aimed **** at the adversary to create a little pressure on him and then take better aim. When a gun is pointed at them, and it goes bang different people react differently. If taking a shot creates a 2 second hesitation on your adversary’s part, you have the jump on him for a carefully aimed shot.
    1gunsnowbird, matthew03 and Coger like this.

Speed is relative. As you stated you can still beat the other guy with speed and still lose. You need to be able to get your Roscoe into the fray. You need to be able to place decisive hits on target. Sometimes as a CCW holder a surreptitious draw is more important than a fast draw. If a fast draw is what saves you, you missed all the danger cues.

Accuracy: Nobody was ever hurt by a loud noise. You cannot afford to miss, a peripheral hit is almost as bad as a miss. As has been stated do I need to hit the third button down or just hit in the general area? That is a time and distance equation, however, a bigger hammer is ALWAYS preferred. You really have no excuse to not have your carry gun mastered.

You need to use a service cartridge or bigger (enough gun). Mouse guns are hide out guns or BUGS, personally I prefer a BUG that speaks with authority. I end up carrying my fullsize Glock most of the time. With proper carry gear it is as easy as a J frame and easier than a K frame with speed loaders. Yup, I wear a cover shirt and I do not wear form fitting clothes, You are welcome I do not have the body for it.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by 1942bull View Post
    Problem is that you never know the competency level of the other person until you engage. That is why I say take a quickly aimed **** at the adversary to create a little pressure on him and then take better aim. When a gun is pointed at them, and it goes bang different people react differently. If taking a shot creates a 2 second hesitation on your adversary’s part, you have the jump on him for a carefully aimed shot.
    Where did your shot hit that you so gallantly fired to get his attention? Imagine you were at the Garlic festival with people running and screaming. You cannot afford to miss.

If they are the type to use violence to solve their problem, pointing your Roscoe at them will NOT have the effect you are hoping for. The only time I got that reaction in 40 years was on a car thief with a 12 gauge.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

It depends on the situation as so may before have mentioned.
    But accuracy is of paramount importance to me. I want to hit the threat, and no one else.
    1gunsnowbird and Coger like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    I’ll start it off by saying I’m not really sure which is more important to me.

I carry my Glocks AIWB, but my 1911 is strong side iwb or owb. Drawing either requires defeating the cover garment, and I am consistently quicker on the draw to shot on target with Glocks from AIWB than I am the 1911 from strong side draw.

The difference to me is negligible, 1.38 vs 1.86 on the time.

I still make the choice to carry the 1911 at times because A) I like it, love shooting it, and B) it is more accurate for both close CQB style flash sight picture, and longer distance slower fire. ( anything 5 yards or closer is done one handed when practicing SD style drills)

So for me, the two balance out, making them both top choices for me.

Is this a consideration for any of any of you in your choices, and what do you place the most value on and why?
    That all by itself would convince me to carry a Glock AIWB full-time.
    AzQkr, G-man* and Risasi like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Deleted. Post was off topic. Thanks to Mike1956 for pointing that out.
    Last edited by CDW4ME; July 31st, 2019 at 02:39 PM.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

My thoughts:
    • Shot times on a range may be fun to practice, but mean little in real SD. I remember in martial arts, there used to be this thing of who could throw the most punches in a given period of time or who could react the fastest to a punch. Also fun to practice, but meant nothing. You could have great split times in practice and fail to stop the threat and still get taken down with one blow or shot. What you do on a range is almost certainly not how it's going to go down in a real situation.
    • Only hits count and CNS hits count a lot more then COM hits. Lack of speed might, possibly lose a fight, but lack of accuracy definitely will. You want to inflict ones that are immediately incapacitating. In the Gramins incident in Skokie, not only was the cop faster, he hit the perp with 16 rounds of .45 without getting hit himself, at 15-20 feet. The perp didn't go down until Gramins got a head shot at very close range. So it was accuracy, not speed, that carried the day.
    • Claude Werner's study of actual non-LEO DGUs said, "Incidents rarely occurred in reaction time (i.e., ¼ second increments). Most commonly, criminals acted in a shark-like fashion, slowly circling and alerting their intended victims. The defender(s) then had time to access even weapons that were stored in other rooms and bring them to bear."

My feeling is that not only is accuracy the priority, more specifically, having the accuracy to get a CNS hit is the priority. That might mean hitting a moving head, not a paper one.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    I agree on Glock AIWB being slightly quicker versus Glock strong side IWB.
    Oh No, I'm in agreement with with glockman10mm.

Let's keep it equal, Glock 19 carried either position.
    I can conceal a Glock 19 to my satisfaction either position and carry comfort is comparable with two exceptions, seated a long time (like on a road trip) or riding a mt. bike (casual bicycle ride). On a road trip a pistol carried AIWB is going to have to come off, put back on when I stop, come off, put back on, whereas a pistol strong side IWB can stay that way seated 12 hours. Casual bicycle ride with pistol AIWB just aint happening and it only took a couple seconds for me to figure that out.
    Back to the question of speed versus accuracy, I made accuracy equal so we are left with speed of draw.
    AIWB is quicker, it wins speed of draw; however, AIWB won't work in all instances (doesn't have to be a bicycle, generalize).

Is it better to carry AIWB most of the time for quickest draw, but sometimes the pistol will be strong side IWB?
    Or is it better to be consistent and always carry strong side IWB, forgo a little speed for sake of consistency?
    All opinions on that choice welcome.
    That changes the topic from the one Gman posed. He stated that he shoots the 1911 more accurately than the Glocks, hence the conundrum.
    OD* and G-man* like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.”― Friedrich Nietzsche

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links