Suppressed home defense pistol - Page 2

Suppressed home defense pistol

This is a discussion on Suppressed home defense pistol within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by HotGuns The fact of the matter is, if you actually do shoot somebody it won't be perceived to be as loud as ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree86Likes

Thread: Suppressed home defense pistol

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The fact of the matter is, if you actually do shoot somebody it won't be perceived to be as loud as it really is due to auditory exclusion.

You have such an adrenaline flow going that it won't sound loud at all.
    You might not notice the noise but the physical damage which is what will cause permanent hearing loss will not be reduced.
    FAS1 likes this.

Thought about it, but decided against it due to reliability concerns, and the extra length making it harder to store and clear corners.
    ColoradoDiablo and OldChap like this.
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Sounds good to me.
    Nice pun, Mike!
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

VIP Member
    Is this guy's idea on this subject the be-all end-all/last word? No! But his take on the subject does bring up some points echoed here. I have an AR pistol as my current PDW for home defense. I was running a Kriss SDP II in .45 acp before that (still handy, in safe). Off & on for a long time, I've thought about purchasing a can for a home defense firearm. Haven't, nor do I know if I ever will. Just something to think about for "EACH INDIVIDUAL'S SITUATION"!

OldChap likes this.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself
    Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
    This land abounds in ruffians and varmints. Their numbers are legion, their evil skills commensurate.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    In the few occurrences where I've seen pistol suppressors used, the firearm reliability was far from what I'd accept for self protection. I'd sacrifice a bit of hearing to protect my wife and myself and to let any BGs within hearing range know
    Attachment 299572
    Was it the suppressor or some special subsonic ammo being run through it? A suppressor on a pistol shouldn’t create any reliability issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jmf552 View Post
    It would get a lot of attention in VA right now, since the Virginia Beach shooter had a suppressor and there have been proposals to ban them here. Sometimes that hoplophobia infects other states. PS1980 was talking about Class III items. How do you think LE and prosecutors would react to using a registered submachine gun, or a grenade, for SD? They are all Class III. You know it would make the news and that creates pressure on local LE.

And as the former prosecutor who taught my SD law class said, she's never seen an SD case that was 100% cut and dried. If a prosecutor wants you badly enough, you may have problems. You may prevail in the end, but you could still have problems.
    It would create a lot of attention among who? AR15s are used in self defense cases all the time, and the only people who hear about that are gun owners. Has anyone seen a picture of the va beach persons suppressor yet? How prosecutors react to something is not my concern. It’s either self defense or it’s not. No law specifies that a gun has to be loud for it to be self defense. If there was attention drawn to it, it would be in our favor and the media is aware of that.
    OldChap likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok View Post
    Was it the suppressor or some special subsonic ammo being run through it? A suppressor on a pistol shouldn’t create any reliability issues.
    I can't say. Both were Glock 19s.
    Havok and OldChap like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

A suppressed 45 still makes plenty of noise. And I selected the HK due to its reliability with a suppressor. I am in AZ which is not quite as anit-gun as some places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    HotGuns, FAS1 and OldChap like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    Any suppressed centerfire handgun cartridge will still be plenty loud indoors, so I think any perp will still hear the effects of rounds fired towards him. I could put a can on my home defense handguns but prefer not to throw the balance off. I do have one on my 9mm AR Pistol however.
    OldChap likes this.
    "Once that bell rings, you're on your own. It's just you and the other guy.” - Joe Lewis

“I’m not obsessive about cleaning my guns. I like them like my martinis and my women....a ‘little’ dirty.....”

Member: GOA, SAF

You mean not everyone has a "Don't wake the baby gun?"

CWOUSCG likes this.
    Glenn

FAS1 SAFE

Can you let me know who makes that safe?

Using Tapatalk

When I get my KAC suppressor out of "time out", I intend to use my Mark23 for the same purpose. I have a perfect place for it.

AND, I can also use it as a club.
    FAS1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PPS1980 View Post
    Best option for your hearing (and your loved ones) but I'm curious how LEOs and the Local DA would react to the use of a Class III item in a SD situation.
    It's legal.
    OldVet and OldChap like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

I have nothing against suppressors for HD/SD but tactically it would be much easier to disarm someone with a longer barrel or gun w/ a suppressor. Just my .02 worth!
    OldChap likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

I always wondered about the reliability of suppressed guns because you are deliberately altering the direction and force of the burning powder. I saw a video that talked about backpressure of a suppressed gun causing gunpowder to spew out the ejection port onto the shooter - does that affect reliability at all? (I will probably never shoot a suppressed weapon because Illinois does not allow them).

Anyway, from a legal standpoint, I think an overzealous prosecutor could use a mounted suppressor against you. Remember the Arizona cop who faced for shooting someone with an AR-15 that had “you’re f*****” printed on the inside of the dust cover? The prosecutor said “That statement tells me this is a person who’s enthusiastic about killing people.” (This sounds like an entirely messed case in multiple ways btw).

https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/0...15-dust-cover/

In a case involving a suppressor, I could see a prosecutor making an issue of it if there are multiple bad guys in your home, and you used a suppressor to shoot a second bad guy after you quietly dispatched a first.

Distinguished Member Array Militant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by triplets View Post
    How do others feel about this? I do use an HK45 with a suppressor as a bedroom gun.

You had me at HK.
    HK USP Compact .45 stainless HK USP Compact .40 stainless HK USP Compact .45
    HK USP Compact 9mm HK 45c HK P30 HK P30sk HK VP9 HK VP9sk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links