Thinking on getting a m206 for concealed carry (perhaps pocket carry somehow )

This is a discussion on Thinking on getting a m206 for concealed carry (perhaps pocket carry somehow ) within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I've been looking for a smaller sized revolver in order to substantiate my glock 43x. Im planning on using the 43x for winter carry ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Thinking on getting a m206 for concealed carry (perhaps pocket carry somehow )

So I've been looking for a smaller sized revolver in order to substantiate my glock 43x. Im planning on using the 43x for winter carry / when I have more than a t shirt on, and I'm looking for something that has almost 0 printing, and may possibly be pocket able. I'm in a college town at a left leaning college, so I don't think my classmates will like seeing me out around town with some printing going on. I have my ccw and everything, its just I don't want to cause issues. So I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Rock Island Armory m206, and if it was concealable at all (preferably appendix carry.) I'm still in college, so there is a budget constraint going on, hence why I'm not really looking into the airweights.

Here's a link to the gun. https://armscor.com/firearms/ria/rev...le-38-special/ You can get them around 250$, I don't know why this site lists them as so much more.

Sadly my campus is not a ccw supporting campus (Liberty university next door is) so all I can bring there is a 3 inch knife and some pepper spray.

The gun would be for out around town, there were just a few armed robberies in the last month, and a shooting in the parking lot of the walmart I frequent 2 months back. Dont know what has going on there, but its better to be prepared.

Or if there are any good snubbies that I've missed that are under or around the 300$ price range, that would be awesome if you could mention them. I'm a fan of the lcr, but the starting price is just a bit up there.
    OldChap likes this.

I only know what Iíve seen on the web. People say they are ok. Iím thinking maybe heavy for a pocket if you needed to go that way. Charter Arms are lighter. Just a thought. Good luck.
    Two Revolvers, Two Reloads, every day, all day.

Checked them out a while ago @ a store. They had 2 of them there and one had decent lockup/timing, the other was horrible. Don't know if it varies from unit to unit or not. Maybe I handled a lemon.
    I liked the price and two grips included. As far as that size gun (steel framed snub) I carried a sp101 a lot appendix and strongside and either place its really concealed. Pocket carry gets awkward due to weight.
    If price and max concealment was my goal a LCP would be on my shortlist. Can be found < $225 all day long new and sometimes cheaper used. Easy to pocket carry or carry iwb or owb and will basically disappear either place.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Discretion = Ruger LCP
    "You talk a lot, but you're not saying anything" - Psycho Killer, The Talking Heads

"The winds are crying, 'Remember me;' Through the Holy silence of the desert and the sea; The next armada, waiting for the tide; Wind and rain are nothing to the storm inside" - Running on the Rocks, Shriekback

For me that's too big for all day every day pocket carry. Unfortunately the "air weight" j frames or LCR revolvers in the 13-15 ounce range are about as heavy as I've found practical for all day every day pocket carry. If you're looking for an easy to pocket carry firearm for less than 300 bucks, you can find some .380 micro auto's for less than that. I bought a Beretta pico .380 for at work pocket carry for 278 bucks, from time to time you find them for around 200.
    OldChap likes this.
    "Some people go to bed with Lucifer..........then cry, cry, cry when they don't greet the day with God."

Thanks for the sugguestions. Ive been looking at the lcps, and I really like them, expecially the lcp custom, its just that I hear alot of issues about if your grip is off slightly, the gun has a much higher chance of malfunctioning. I have fairly large hands, and I feel as though in a stressfull situation, there may be a bit more fumbling than I would be comforable with. Revolvers can be held anways and go bang when the trigger is pulled, thats sort of the allure for me. Also, I do enjoy myself some wheelguns.
    Haywood likes this.

I would point out that a Glock 43 (non-x) is smaller in all dimensions and lighter than that revolver. And if you're already shooting a 43x, the 43 is essentially the same. The Glock stock holds one more round, and there are a lot of easy, reliable options to get another round or two, still being shorter than the revolver. I might be inclined to swap the x for the non-x, and maybe get a 19 (if you want to stay in Glockworld) to go with it for less problematic dress situations.

As far as the bigger issue I would not sweat the printing issue to much. Most people would never notice even a pretty obvious print, especially non-gun people.

Consider a S&W 642 or 442.

38 Special +P revolver.

Better made than the 206 and a bargain if you search around.

And a lot lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGurgeMan View Post
    Or if there are any good snubbies that I've missed that are under or around the 300$ price range, that would be awesome if you could mention them. I'm a fan of the lcr, but the starting price is just a bit up there.
    As a guy who pocket carries a 38 snub daily, I highly recommend the S&W 642 or its twin, the 442. Lightweight, compact, able to handle potent +P ammo. Just about the perfect pocket revolver. Be sure to get a good pocket holster for carry purposes. My favorite is made by Robert Mika.
    Haywood likes this.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it."

Agent K

The LCP is purpose designed as a discrete pocket carry CCW. My cell phone "prints" much more than my LCP in its Nemesis pocket holster. I have an older Colt Cobra that is about the same size as the Rock Island and it is very noticeable when pocket carried. The LCP is also below your price point! Just my .02 worth!
    Wavygravy likes this.
    Retired Police Lieutenant, Former UH-1N Huey & MH-53 Pave Low Gunner, Retired USAF Reserve, Glock Armorer, AL Retired LEO CPP, NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, LEOSA Qualified, Active FOP Executive Board Member

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" Phil 4:13

Quote Originally Posted by 5lima30ret View Post
    The LCP is purpose designed as a discrete pocket carry CCW. My cell phone "prints" much more than my LCP in its Nemesis pocket holster. I have an older Colt Cobra that is about the same size as the Rock Island and it is very noticeable when pocket carried. The LCP is also below your price point! Just my .02 worth!
    +2 here. The LCP or LCPII is the only truly discrete pocket carry (front or rear pockets) I've tried. The Beretta Pico would be another option. No snubbie is going to conceal as easily imo.
    5lima30ret likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

I'd recommend against a RIA/Armscor M206.

I "accidentally" won one on Gunbroker. Placed a low bid and forgot about it until I got the email saying I'd won it. They are not a refined revolver and fairly heavy but you do get 6 shots. I put 200 of my reloads through it with no troubles. Accuracy was ok and it felt fine in my hand.

Then, one night while dry firing everything locked up. Low and behold the transfer bar had snapped in half relegating it to paperweight status. I contacted customer service and got it shipped back to them and in a decent amount of time (sorry don't remember specifics) I got it back and it was repaired. But I had lost all confidence in the gun, never shot it again and sold it to a guy on Armslist.

Go for an LCP, S&W J frame or Ruger LCR and not only will you have a lighter easier to conceal gun but you'l have a far superior gun.

VIP Member
    one word.......
    AIRWEIGHT
    Melvin and Haywood like this.
    Lifetime NRA Member,collector,reloader.

WOW there are so many other choice for pocket carry One of my daughters carried a charter arms 12oz ultra lite in 38sp but moved to a cw9 kahr in iwb . I have a cm9 that is a pocket size pistol I carried at work for years too but its your choice . Might want to look for a used s&w airweight snubby if dollars are you other concern along with a revolver only .
    Melvin and Haywood like this.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I held one m206 in my hands, and it was by far the worst revolver I have ever handled. Lock-up was atrocious, trigger was heavy, felt like it was finished with a ball peen hammer. I love cheap guns and Rock Island, but I would not trust my life to a Armscor revolver.

If you really want a cheap 6 shot 38 SPL revolver and not an auto (I carry revolvers frequently), I'd look at Charter Arms Police Undercover. I have a Bulldog which is the same frame and it is only slightly larger than a J frame.

For absolute maximum concealment where you don't want to drop down to .380, I'd get a belly band. You can try it with your 43x, it should be pretty invisible.
    entertainment72 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links