Is it just my imagination?

This is a discussion on Is it just my imagination? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Something I have puzzled over, but yet to ask until now. This may be a stupid question (I've got a million of them) but it ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Is it just my imagination?

Something I have puzzled over, but yet to ask until now. This may be a stupid question (I've got a million of them) but it seems to me that on most (if not all) of the firearms I own, the trigger is easier to pull when the weapon is not loaded than when it is. Is this just my imagination, or is this an accurate perception on my part? I've noticed this on both rifles and handguns.

Hoping someone here can either tell me I am nuts, or provide a good explanation of why I perceive this to be so.
    Last edited by G26Raven; August 2nd, 2019 at 09:34 PM.
    "Don't drive your truck when you're all jacked up..." Gretchen Wilson
    2% of the U.S. population thinks the Cold War was caused by climate change

Maybe anticipation of recoil, blast, and focus on aiming (holding steady) while pulling the trigger make it seem heavier when shooting.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Distinguished Member
    Trigger pull scale is your answer.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    Something I have puzzled over, but yet to ask until now. This may be a stupid question (I've got a million of them) but it seems to me that on most (if not all) of the firearms I own, the trigger is easier to pull when the weapon is not loaded than when it is. Is this just my imagination, or is this an accurate perception on my part? I've noticed this on both rifles and handguns.

Hoping someone here can either tell me I am nuts, or provided a good explanation of why I perceive this to be so.
    I think your perception is correct, and is a symptom of what is known as Target panic. Target panic is a real condition that is not necessarily a real issue for good shooting, but, it is the subconscious telling you that a loaded gun trigger pull perceived as “ this is it, it’s going to go bang “ and the more relaxed mental state you have when you know nothing is going to happen.
    I’m not qualified to articulate how this effects the muscles that effect your movement, such as your grip and squeeze, but there is a psychological effect.

I really, really hate to agree with @CDW4ME but I believe his assessment is in the ball park:)
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight.”
    -Jeff Cooper

“ Looking around doesn’t cost you anything; and it’s a healthy habit”
    -Joe Foss

VIP Member

Hoping someone here can either tell me I am nuts, or provided a good explanation of why I perceive this to be so.
    I would suggest an experiment. Load up a few mags, with each containing a snap cap in included. Fire each round slowly and carefully. Pay close attention to the trigger pull and muzzle movement prior to discharge. When you get to the snap cap, your puzzlement will probably be solved.
    G26Raven, airslot and OldChap like this.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

I don't notice any difference in any of my guns between dry firing and live shooting, but I'm not recoil sensitive at all, so there's very little in the way of anticipation other than paying attention to the breaking point when firing the first round of a session, or switching guns.
    OldChap, airslot and G26Raven like this.

Yes
    Gun Free Zones are totally effective, and 100% safe ... (wait for it) ... (wait for it) ... until a bad guy with a gun shows up! Then suddenly, you have an uncontested Kill Zone of defensless sheep, patiently awaiting their turn for the slaughter.

Senior Moderator
    OldChap, CreedDryrot and G26Raven like this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have a hunting rifle that has a lighter trigger pull when there is a cartridge in the chamber. The best I can tell the bolt rides on the case when its loaded and when its empty the bolt closes about .002 more. Just enough to lean on the sear a little. I have a trigger pull gauge, and it shows almost a 1/2 lb more. it's very noticable. None of my other guns do that though. DR
    G26Raven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I have a hunting rifle that has a lighter trigger pull when there is a cartridge in the chamber. The best I can tell the bolt rides on the case when its loaded and when its empty the bolt closes about .002 more. Just enough to lean on the sear a little. I have a trigger pull gauge, and it shows almost a 1/2 lb more. it's very noticable. None of my other guns do that though. DR
    Sounds like a very logical thing. This is more along the lines of what I was thinking. I will have to do some tests.
    dangerranger likes this.

Loaded gun or not, you're still nuts.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon on the loose.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Loaded gun or not, you're still nuts.
    Now that's not a very original accusation....
    Kenny53 and OldChap like this.

VIP Member
    Now that's not a very original accusation....
    More like an independent observation.
    "Stop being dangerous, and you become edible." William Aprill

"Slaves, enjoy your freedom." Chuck Klosterman

flh
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    I was just going to comment on this , what mechanical difference would there be with the gun loaded , I suppose this could be one answer,

I've never noticed the triggers being different loaded or unloaded, what I have noticed is the difference in recoil of the firearm while target shooting, compared to shooting while competing or hunting , I'm completely tuned into what I'm doing but with completely different tasks at hand , while shooting the target I feel the recoil each time , while hunting etc I don't really notice it

Knowing the gun is empty vs ready to go , I would think falls in the same category ...
    Last edited by flh; August 3rd, 2019 at 11:07 AM.
    OldChap likes this.

Go Pack Go

Don't try to get into my head there's barely enough room for me in there .

Sonic .

Distinguished Member Array Novarider's Avatar
    Get a trigger gauge and a snapcap. Then you'll know for sure and don't have to fire any live rounds to test.
    OldChap likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links