Who carries a Kimber revolver? comments pros & cons - Page 2

Who carries a Kimber revolver? comments pros & cons

This is a discussion on Who carries a Kimber revolver? comments pros & cons within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I have the 2" K6S. With about 350 rounds of mostly 38 special I had to send it back to Kimber where they replaced what ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Who carries a Kimber revolver? comments pros & cons

I have the 2" K6S.

With about 350 rounds of mostly 38 special I had to send it back to Kimber where they replaced what appears to be the entire firing pin assembly. Also through those first 350 ish rounds I could not shoot the gun accurately because of the grip being too small. Also shooting 357 magnum or 38 +P was practically impossible because of the grip. A couple of cylinders of +p or 357 and I had a split shooting hand thumb. I hated having a gun that had 357 Magnum stamped on the side of the barrel and was impossible to shoot that caliber. Many others complained of the same issues on a Kimber forum. Several reports of broken firing pin.

When I got the gun back from Kimber I really wanted to take a sledge hammer to it. However I am stubborn and was determined to make it work.

I put a Pachmayr J Frame grip on it and added a cushioning material along the back strap to absorb more recoil.

It was frustrating because the trigger was very good on the gun and even better after Kimber fixed the firing pin assembly.

I finally got where I could shoot the gun as well as my Ruger SP101 2.25 (it always shot 357 magnum well) and my other S&W 357 magnum guns (627/629 and 3"686 Plus). Never had a problem with then and several thousands of rounds through each and all were very accurate out of the box.

After a little over 1100 rounds of about 50/50 38 (and +P) and 357 after getting back from Kimber, I felt the gun was fixed and I carried it one time as a Bug.....still do not know if I can ever trust the gun and wish I had never purchased it.

Kimber did a horrible job on the grips for the gun. There are no grips commercially available for snubby that will handle 357 magnum. I had to try several different things to get the J frame grip to work through many rounds. Until I got the grip to work, the ZKimber was relegated to being a very expensive 38 special when it had 357 magnum stamped on the barrel.

IMHO, Kimber dropped the ball on this gun and I do not and never will purchase another Kimber of any type. Good idea, poor execution.

I will adds that during the whole process I learned to work on my grasp strength and trigger press. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why I could not shoot this particular gun well. I have a backyard handgun range and shoot a thousand rounds a week with 21 handguns. The Kimber frustrated me, but I stuck with it and in the process I found out that I was shooting my other guns (5 revolvers and the rest semis) much more precisely.

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    That unpadded back strap has to hurt!!! My SP101 was unshootable with 357 until I put the Hogue monogrip on there. I am good to go with it now. Kimber really needs to put something in between the shooter and the frame (aka LCR).

Quote Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post
    I have the 2" K6S.

With about 350 rounds of mostly 38 special I had to send it back to Kimber where they replaced what appears to be the entire firing pin assembly. Also through those first 350 ish rounds I could not shoot the gun accurately because of the grip being too small. Also shooting 357 magnum or 38 +P was practically impossible because of the grip. A couple of cylinders of +p or 357 and I had a split shooting hand thumb. I hated having a gun that had 357 Magnum stamped on the side of the barrel and was impossible to shoot that caliber. Many others complained of the same issues on a Kimber forum. Several reports of broken firing pin.

When I got the gun back from Kimber I really wanted to take a sledge hammer to it. However I am stubborn and was determined to make it work.

I put a Pachmayr J Frame grip on it and added a cushioning material along the back strap to absorb more recoil.

It was frustrating because the trigger was very good on the gun and even better after Kimber fixed the firing pin assembly.

I finally got where I could shoot the gun as well as my Ruger SP101 2.25 (it always shot 357 magnum well) and my other S&W 357 magnum guns (627/629 and 3"686 Plus). Never had a problem with then and several thousands of rounds through each and all were very accurate out of the box.

After a little over 1100 rounds of about 50/50 38 (and +P) and 357 after getting back from Kimber, I felt the gun was fixed and I carried it one time as a Bug.....still do not know if I can ever trust the gun and wish I had never purchased it.

Kimber did a horrible job on the grips for the gun. There are no grips commercially available for snubby that will handle 357 magnum. I had to try several different things to get the J frame grip to work through many rounds. Until I got the grip to work, the ZKimber was relegated to being a very expensive 38 special when it had 357 magnum stamped on the barrel.

IMHO, Kimber dropped the ball on this gun and I do not and never will purchase another Kimber of any type. Good idea, poor execution.

I will adds that during the whole process I learned to work on my grasp strength and trigger press. I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why I could not shoot this particular gun well. I have a backyard handgun range and shoot a thousand rounds a week with 21 handguns. The Kimber frustrated me, but I stuck with it and in the process I found out that I was shooting my other guns (5 revolvers and the rest semis) much more precisely.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

Quote Originally Posted by dontcatchmany View Post

I agree 100% that there needs to be better grips available for this revolver. Not just purtty, slick, and concealable grips either.
    From what I understand, Hogue is making grips for it (soon?). But just like the factory grips, they will be small and purtty. Of no use to me! I too did the j frame grip altercation for mine. Now, 357's are a piece of cake!
    Now that I fixed my grip situation, all we need is adjustable sights...adj novak style would be perfect. I have a Novak style, adjustable rear, on my EMP 4"...SWEET!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who carries a Kimber revolver? comments pros & cons-k6s.jpg  

Old Man likes this.
    Iím tip top, but Iím not Robin Hood!
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Just a question. Isnt the original grips (the rubber ones, Hogue grips? I am pretty sure they are so in that respect they already make grips for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    I agree 100% that there needs to be better grips available for this revolver. Not just purtty, slick, and concealable grips either.
    From what I understand, Hogue is making grips for it (soon?). But just like the factory grips, they will be small and purtty. Of no use to me! I too did the j frame grip altercation for mine. Now, 357's are a piece of cake!
    Now that I fixed my grip situation, all we need is adjustable sights...adj novak style would be perfect. I have a Novak style, adjustable rear, on my EMP 4"...SWEET!!!

[QUOTE=Chief1297;7740808]Just a question. Isnt the original grips (the rubber ones, Hogue grips? I am pretty sure they are so in that respect they already make grips for them.

Crimson Trace makes them.
    Chief1297 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post
    Just a question. Isnt the original grips (the rubber ones, Hogue grips? I am pretty sure they are so in that respect they already make grips for them.
    When I called Hogue, they told me that they were working on compact, finger groove wooden grips to replace the factory wooden grips. They said that at that time (several months ago) they had no plans for any rubber and/or boot grips for the K6s
    Iím tip top, but Iím not Robin Hood!
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member

[QUOTE=rlggray;7740834]
    Quote Originally Posted by Chief1297 View Post

Crimson Trace makes them.
    Ahh yes, My apologies. I was mistaken!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ceapea View Post
    When I called Hogue, they told me that they were working on compact, finger groove wooden grips to replace the factory wooden grips. They said that at that time (several months ago) they had no plans for any rubber and/or boot grips for the K6s
    Unfortunately, that will do nothing about the protection of the hand from the back strap. Don't get me wrong, I love the K6s. Just floating ideas to mitigate the recoil a little.

I like the way they look and feel, sadly, have never shot one. I would think they would make a good carry revolver, if one were so inclined to go that route.

I have nothing against a healthy price tag on a firearm, in most cases, {I said most} you get what you pay for. I do, for some reason, balk at the Kimber asking price for their cylinder gun. There are other guns I'd rather buy for that type of coinage........

I think a Pachmayr Compac would be the bees knees on the K6S.
    Old Man likes this.

Distinguished Member Array viney266's Avatar
    Love the revolver (don't own one, but work in a gun shop, Kimber dealers)...I wish it were lighter, or they would make an aluminum 38 version. Otherwise, love everything about it.
    svgheartland likes this.
    Proud NRA Benefactor member, My wife, daughter and son are all life members.
    Gun carry permits and the 2nd amendment only confirm what is a God given right to protect ones life and the lives of loved ones from evil.
    Speed is only a matter of money. How fast do you want to go?

I have a Kimber Micro .380 8+1, a Kimber Micro 9 8+1, and an Airweight J-frame further lightened to 12.5 oz with titanium cylinder and reamed for 9mm.

The 9mm J-frame is lightest and chronos as more powerful than the Micro 9, but the Micro .380 is flatter and is most comfortable for pocket carry, so I carry it most often. I like the Micro 9, but rarely carry it.

I have the K6S 2" and I love it. Sights are great and handles .357 well. I can shoot it better than my sp101 or s&w's. Great gun!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member Array Gaius's Avatar
    I have one with the black rubber grips. The trigger is perhaps the best or one of the best factory revolver triggers in the business. The gun is extremely well made. Now as to weight. Yes it is heavier than some of the competition, but then again, i find the additional weight makes shooting 38 Plus P loads a dream and 357 loads manageable, albeit not particularly pleasant. You can't really have it both ways. A very very light weight gun that handles very hot loads well. I am quite pleased with the gun.
    Ceapea likes this.
    --Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up." --Wyatt Earp

--If youíre carrying a gun for self-defense, donít practice like a target shooter. Practice like a gunfighter.

--Always be nice until it's time not to be nice.

Distinguished Member

Kiimber K6S

I've had a Kimber K6S for about two years. High quality and great trigger. In my opinion, it is two heavy to comfortably pocket carry. I gave it a try and went back to carrying a S&W M442 when I wanted to pocket carry a revolver.

Who carries a Kimber revolver? comments pros & cons-img_5643.jpg
    MMinSC and CrabbyOldGuy like this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links