Who carries a Kimber revolver? comments pros & cons

This is a discussion on Who carries a Kimber revolver? comments pros & cons within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I were to go back to a cc revolver (I used to carry the Smith Model 638), I'd seriously look into the Kimber models. ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Who carries a Kimber revolver? comments pros & cons

If I were to go back to a cc revolver (I used to carry the Smith Model 638), I'd seriously look into the Kimber models.

So who has one, which model and your overall opinion of it.
    Thanks.
    https://www.kimberamerica.com/pistols/revolver
    Glocking26 likes this.
    U.S. Army Veteran SP-5

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    I do not have one. I would like to own one, though I already have a bunch of Smiths.

The quality seems remarkable. They are very well put together and finished.

The trigger is shorter and lighter than most DA revolvers, but is not dangerously light. It kind of reminds me of the Ruger LCR trigger, though the Ruger is longer and lighter.

The grip is conducive to a high ride grip, which is good IMO.

I think the snubbies are pretty attractive, but the 3" guns are just hideous. And I love Chiappa Rhinos, so that is really saying something.

These days, they are pretty heavy by most people's standards. Compared to a Shield, they are heavy. Compared to the 3" S&W Model 629 or Browning Hi Power that are primary CCWs, the Kimber is a lightweight.
    bmcgilvray and Glocking26 like this.

I canít speak to Kimberís autoís but my revolver is amazing. Itís built like a tank. It blows any of the NEWER S+W revolvers away and I own lots of them. The fit and finish is perfect. Itís well worth the extra youíll pay for it. Kind of reminds me me the older Colts and S+Wís
    bmcgilvray likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

I bought a K6S 5 days ago. The price was $809. To date I have put about 50 rounds total of 158 and 130 grain range ammo through it at targets 7-10 yards. This revolver is sweet. It won't replace my Smith 442 for pocket carry but it blows my Ruger SP101 out of the water for a small light weight belt gun with 6 rounds, recessed chambers, all edges beveled smooth, and 3 dot sights and a very smooth trigger. The sights are dove tailed and allow removal or drift adjustment but after about 50 practice rounds they seem to be right on as is. If you've guessed that I like the K6S a lot, you've guessed right.
    G26Raven, forester58 and Old Man like this.

You loose so much energy and velocity even with a 357mag from a 2" or even a 3" barrel I would rather carry any number of a 3.5 to 4" thinner and for some lighter 40sw pistols . Other wise the Kimber revolvers are solid builds with a number of models . I one that likes the look of a 3" over a 2 inch model but its for more of a belt gun even with the lightest version . Other wise your choice and money . For 2 ounce weight difference and skinny grips I would rather carry a Kimber stainless ultra 9mm with Wilson 9 rounds mags for 9 + 1 cap and only be 1.14 wide at the grip . Spend the difference in cost on a couple Wilson etm 9 round mags .
    Buckeye63 likes this.

A friend of mine has had two of them. I have fired one at the range. Great gun, but he had two broken firing pins with them from dry firing. Kimber fixed them both, but personally I don't think that should ever happen with any DA revolver made in last couple of decades. He ultimately got rid of them and now carries an LCR in .327 Federal. He says the recoil of the LCR with .327 is more manageable than the Kimber with .357 mag and the .327 has better specs than .38 +P. So it hits a nice sweet spot.
    Attack Squadron 65 "Tigers", USS Eisenhower '80 - '83, peackeeping w/Iran, Libya, Lebanon and E. Europe

Quote Originally Posted by Glocking26 View Post
    I canít speak to Kimberís autoís but my revolver is amazing. Itís built like a tank. It blows any of the NEWER S+W revolvers away and I own lots of them. The fit and finish is perfect. Itís well worth the extra youíll pay for it. Kind of reminds me me the older Colts and S+Wís
    How does the Kimber 2" compare with a Smith snubby regarding thickness and overall size. Can you carry one in a cargo pants front pocket?
    Glocking26 likes this.
    U.S. Army Veteran SP-5

Quote Originally Posted by InVegas View Post
    How does the Kimber 2" compare with a Smith snubby regarding thickness and overall size. Can you carry one in a cargo pants front pocket?
    The K6s compares closely in size to a Ruger SP101. The Kimber is a couple of ounces lighter than the Ruger. You can certainly pocket carry the K6S if you are so inclined. It's heavier than I personally want for pocket carry though. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by InVegas View Post
    It is much heavier then my S+W 442 so I donít recommend pocket carrying it. Itís just a wee bit wider but your getting 6 rounds of 357 magnum or 38spl your choice. Itís a dream to shoot in 38 and not bad 357.
    Old Man likes this.

I had one that somehow came up missing and I really miss it. Was not crazy about it in the beginning. Mostly pocket carried S&W J's, but once I stopped worrying about the extra weight, it became as close to EDC as anything else I have tried. The weight makes it a joy even with mags. The quality/workmanship was top notch. I'm going to find a way to get another one for sure.

I have a 3Ē DAO model. I love it. I too think that it is miles ahead of any comparable S&W or Ruger revolver. The trigger can only be described as Magic!
    I ended up replacing the very nice wooden factory grips with some modified S&W rubber (uncle Mikeís?) grips. If there is any other issue, it is that none of them that I have seen, shoot to POA. All shoot a little low...at 10 to 20 yards. 20 yards?? Yep! 30 yd even. This gun can shoot...very well and very easily. I just form a pyramid with the sights, front dot up at the top of the rear notch. Perfect!
    As far as the statement that 3Ē 357 mag guns give up a lot, in power, there are a number of videos and articles that show that, by the numbers, 3Ē 357 mags out perform 4Ē 9mm pistols all day long. Checkout Paul Harrellís videos. Even +p 9mm falls short of 357 mag from a 3Ē revolver. ďA lot moreĒ, as Paul will show you
    MMinSC and wmhawth like this.
    Iím tip top, but Iím not Robin Hood!
    The man's nuts....grab 'em!
    A pistol free zone is a crime spree zone!
    NRA Life Member
    Thugs that comply, don't die!
    Thugs that comply, don't die!

it would be nice to have one, but they want an awful lot for it.

Quote Originally Posted by W4TL2C View Post
    I had one that somehow came up missing and I really miss it. Was not crazy about it in the beginning. Mostly pocket carried S&W J's, but once I stopped worrying about the extra weight, it became as close to EDC as anything else I have tried. The weight makes it a joy even with mags. The quality/workmanship was top notch. I'm going to find a way to get another one for sure.
    Just like that?? A gun priced too close to $1000 for comfort somehow comes up missing? I believe I'd be doing some investigating.
    MMinSC and drmordo like this.

I have an early issue 2" and it is one of my favorite carry pieces. My top 3 is my sp101 2.25" , my 442 pro , and this k6s in no particular order, because if you ask me next week, the order will have probably changed.

The k6s is a very well built revolver with a really sweet trigger right out of the box. My S&W and Ruger had to be dry fired Thousands of times to have that good of trigger.

I'm not a fan of 3 dot sights, but it is good that they are dovetailed and can be replaced.

I like that it has 6 holes and its its only .04" thicker than the 5 shot sp101 and about 1 ounce less when both are fully loaded. My sp101 is 27.5 ounces and the k6s is 26.6 ounces.

I like the way my sp101 fits my hand better and to me it feels better balanced than the k6s. My 442 pro, with it's Pachmayr compac grip is even better.

As far as accuracy goes, I'm better with my 442 pro, then the k6s, then the sp101. But truthfully my LCR is even more accurate for me, but I just can't get past the fact that its a plastic gun. (I like metal revolvers)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Who carries a Kimber revolver? comments pros & cons-screenshot_20190803-211307_gallery_1564886034843.jpg  

Who carries a Kimber revolver? comments pros & cons-screenshot_20190803-211313_gallery_1564886045158.jpg  

wmhawth and Old Man like this.

Distinguished Member Array drmordo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Just like that?? A gun priced too close to $1000 for comfort somehow comes up missing? I believe I'd be doing some investigating.
    Reminds me of my coworker who got his wife a SP101 with Crimson Trace grips, and she left it in her unlocked truck...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links