Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? - Page 10

Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

This is a discussion on Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Militant I've NEVER understood this mindset to be humbly honest. Never! The whole "purpose" of having a concealed carry permit (or open ...

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree471Likes

Thread: Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    I've NEVER understood this mindset to be humbly honest. Never! The whole "purpose" of having a concealed carry permit (or open carry w/o permit etc.) in my book is to CARRY A GUN! I don't care if I'm making a "quick" run to Wal-Mart or some other grocery or department store, walking with my wife through our neighbourhood, going to the park, riding bikes, the movies, a restaurant, bowling, out to lunch or dinner or even to church; I ALWAY CARRY MY GUN....ALWAYS!!!

I live by the "ABC's" meaning; Always Be Carrying!
    When it comes to defending and protecting my life, I'M THE FIRST RESPONDER!
    You & me both.
    Yes, some areas are inherently more dangerous than others; however, psychopaths & criminals are likely mobile and may show up wherever.
    I conceal a pistol I'd prefer to defend myself with; whether I'm in a perceived "good" or "bad" area I want a "preferred" pistol, no different.
    There is nowhere I'd prefer a pocket 380 to defend my life with than a Glock 23/22/35 so a "preferred" pistol is carried everywhere.
    Militant, Eric357 and Bad Bob like this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Senior Moderator
    Nothing changes for me, one of my Glocks (usually my 26) will serve me well. I know what I can do with it, and I know my limitations...a man has to know his limitations. Situational awareness is a key element wherever I travel, and if something happens, well...it is what it is.
    Militant, OldVet, mhl6493 and 5 others like this.
    Proverbs 27:12 says: The prudent see danger and take refuge, but the simple keep going and suffer for it.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array lordhamster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    I suggest that there is no such thing, nowadays, as a low-risk location.

[Sarcasm] Sure there is. Lots of stores here in Ohio have zero risk of this happening because they have these signs on the door. :) [/Sarcasm]

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by lordhamster View Post
    LOL! I am going to save that one.
    PhaedrusIV likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AzQkr View Post
    but most guns people carry for self defense are not shot by their owners to the precision that the guns can attain

Unless you're a ransom rest, all guns are intrinsically more accurate than humanly possible.
    Unless you're Jerry Miculek, but then, he's not human!
    AzQkr, Eric357 and Instymp like this.
    NRA lifetime member

Flint

Distinguished Member Array CavemanBob's Avatar
    These incidents don't change my carry choices one iota. Even after a weekend which saw two nut-jobs go out on a killing spree, the chances of me actually being in the location where one transpires is so incredibly low that it doesn't enter into the calculus. Think about it, two whack-jobs go berzerk on a given weekend out of roughly 340 million people in the country.
    Wavygravy likes this.
    The best citizenry is an informed citizenry

NRA Patron member
    Gun Owners of America
    Electronic Frontiers Foundation https://www.eff.org/ - defending digital privacy and free speech including forums such as this one

No change
    1. Either HK P2000 or HK P30SK with backup mag
    2. Won't enter a GFZ
    3. Only exceptions to carry 24/7: competition, sleep

Distinguished Member Array Chief1297's Avatar
    Especially at Walmart!!!

I've NEVER understood this mindset to be humbly honest. Never! The whole "purpose" of having a concealed carry permit (or open carry w/o permit etc.) in my book is to CARRY A GUN! I don't care if I'm making a "quick" run to Wal-Mart or some other grocery or department store, walking with my wife through our neighbourhood, going to the park, riding bikes, the movies, a restaurant, bowling, out to lunch or dinner or even to church; I ALWAY CARRY MY GUN....ALWAYS!!!

Militant likes this.
    The 1911 is an antiquated weapons system but then again, so am I.
    Retired SF(SP) CMSgt 1979-2005

VIP Member

A THOUSAND likes, Brother Mil !
    Militant likes this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

VIP Member

I explained this to a coworker in different terms just yesterday.

It's like wearing your seat belt in your car. You may be going across the street, down the road 1 mile, or 500 miles. You put your seat belt on regardless. The problem is not how you drive or anything else you control while driving, but what the other driver may do, which is unpredictable. We drive defensively, and we should carry defensively.

The best part about this conversation is that his 18 year old son was sitting in the room listening.
    OD*, bmcgilvray, G-man* and 4 others like this.
    May you be in Heaven before the Devil knows you're dead

If I start changing things I confuse myself. A S&W 360 in a Superfly, and a 442 in an ankle glove, all day every day. And 2 speed strips in the watch pocket in case things get really wonky.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I carry my XD 40 or my Glock 43. Since I can't carry my AR-15 I can't worry too much about being caught up in an extremely unusual situation.

Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?
    9/11 did. Fullsize Glock.
    OD* and Eric357 like this.
    A man has got to know his limitations.

In a world of snowflakes, be a torch.

my usual suburban tooling around ccw choices are a 38 s&w 642, or something ruger in 22lr, either a lcr or sr22. im much more practiced, and thus consistently center mass accurate out to 50, with the sr22. a naa mini 22lr is an always backup.

if im thinking el paso walmart shooter, i feel more confident engaging at longer distances with the sr22, if i cannot simply egress out of danger. so which is better: confidently hitting with ten rounds of softer ammo at longer range, with faster reloads, or harder hitting ammo that is only reliably accurate at shorter ranges?

i know that most ccw encounters are at close range after dark under 3 shots if any, but im more apt to be in a shopping mall in daylight than i am to be in a 7-11 gas station at night.

these days buying other handguns or paracticing alot more with the 38 are not really options. so which partner do i bring to the dance: the soft spoken, comfortable, leggy one or the short, hot sparkplug?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've carried a 9mm Glock of some sort for the past 12 years now. Lately I've been carrying the G43X which has been a good compromise between the G19 and G43 for me. I can get the concealability of the 43 and still get a full grip like the G19 plus a little bit more firepower squeezed in when compared to the regular G43.

These recent mass shootings haven't changed my routine for the most part.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Sponsored Links