Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? - Page 11

Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

This is a discussion on Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No. The LCP GEN2 will continue to ride shotgun in my FR pocket....

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree471Likes

Thread: Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

No.

The LCP GEN2 will continue to ride shotgun in my FR pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Athappyhiker View Post
    Prayers for the families of those killed and those wounded... was wondering if incidents like this make you reconsider your ccw choice? Many times I carry a J frame 38 spcl snubby in the car and just out around time, but when I go to big box stores or other larger/big group places I carry a CW9 with spare mag as it will give me a bit more distance and power (for summer) and during fall/winter I'll carry a M&P 9c.

Unless I'd go up to carrying a medium to full size gun like a 4" Glock 19/S&W SD9 or full size Glock 17 sized guns, I'm not sure how much of a change you should make in your CCW picks based off of these still relatively very rare events vs every day one on one close in crime. I think I'd still be better off with the smaller and lighter guns that may have lower round count but I'm much more likely to carry them vs the big handgun that weighs a lot and gets left home because it's a pain in the rear.
    Over thinking it. The bottomline if you specifically refer to the El Paso incident you have over a thousand or two thousand back to school free tax day mothers and grandmothers for the most part as the victims. Soft targets and quite frankly Sheeps awaiting the slaughter. This sick AHOLE knew this fact and took advantage of it and that is why he reined down death with easy success than walked away and surrendered like a coward biotch he was. I wish there would have been just one armed person in that store willing to step up among the craziness of it all and put a round in his grape like the brave and awesome Police did in the Dayton shooting stopping that nut before he made it in the Night club. I don't make any real allowances for my off duty carry I just use different options for my comfort depending on the day. As long as it's 45acp 9mm 357mag 10mm or 40sw all using excellent ammo two to five rounds to the dome should do the job. Prepared would be carrying a long gun at sling arms but one can't do that without raising eyebrows ofcourse.
    Rick McC. and Bad Bob like this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    I've NEVER understood this mindset to be humbly honest. Never! The whole "purpose" of having a concealed carry permit (or open carry w/o permit etc.) in my book is to CARRY A GUN! I don't care if I'm making a "quick" run to Wal-Mart or some other grocery or department store, walking with my wife through our neighbourhood, going to the park, riding bikes, the movies, a restaurant, bowling, out to lunch or dinner or even to church; I ALWAY CARRY MY GUN....ALWAYS!!!

I live by the "ABC's" meaning; Always Be Carrying!
    When it comes to defending and protecting my life, I'M THE FIRST RESPONDER!
    If history has taught us anything it is to carry at Walmart.
    Check out the CR-12 - wilkinsontactical.com

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by patrol View Post
    Over thinking it. The bottomline if you specifically refer to the El Paso incident you have over a thousand or two thousand back to school free tax day mothers and grandmothers for the most part as the victims. Soft targets and quite frankly Sheeps awaiting the slaughter. This sick AHOLE knew this fact and took advantage of it and that is why he reined down death with easy success than walked away and surrendered like a coward biotch he was. I wish there would have been just one armed person in that store willing to step up among the craziness of it all and put a round in his grape like the brave and awesome Police did in the Dayton shooting stopping that nut before he made it in the Night club. I don't make any real allowances for my off duty carry I just use different options for my comfort depending on the day. As long as it's 45acp 9mm 357mag 10mm or 40sw all using excellent ammo two to five rounds to the dome should do the job. Prepared would be carrying a long gun at sling arms but one can't do that without raising eyebrows ofcourse.
    Agree...But not as many carry as the anti gun left wing media would like the public to believe.
    I also agree on your caliber choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    If history has taught us anything it is to carry at Walmart.
    You are spot on there!

No, I always have at least 11 rounds and my first option will be to escape not trade rounds with a guy with a long gun
    Goldy49 and Chief1297 like this.

I haven't changed my carry, but... one of the reasons both my carry weapons (Snubby and LCR 9) have instinctive activation lasers (crimson trace) is more for the longer shot in an active shooter situation.
    Gun Toting Fire Breathing Liberal

Quote Originally Posted by oregonguy View Post
    No, I always have at least 11 rounds and my first option will be to escape not trade rounds with a guy with a long gun
    That is exactly why so many perished. It's only natural during such chaos to flee even if you are armed. That's also why i said I wish at least ONE person who "was" armed would have walked up and put one in his grape. You avoid trading fire but you act when the attention isn't on you and you act decisively with extreme violence and you take him out. Unload in the back of his skull or in the side of his head when he's looking elsewhere. Anyone that is carrying concealed needs to prepare to act with extreme violence.
    FLSlim, Rick McC. and Bad Bob like this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

Distinguished Member Array FLSlim's Avatar
    That event didn't change a thing for me except to reinforce the need to be ever vigilant... Within reason, the size of a gun I carry isn't a determining factor and I do prefer a pistol with relatively high capacity (10-15 rounds). I also like my back-up magazine to be of the extended capacity type (15 round for my P365 and 21 round for my P320).
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Lately I’ve been carrying my 15 round XD(M) 4.5 10mm instead of a 1911.
    Eric357, Bad Bob and patrol like this.

"Do mass shootings make you more inclined to actually carry a gun full-time, if at all?"

No. It's like being hit by lightning. Odds are so slim that it will ever happen, it is not worth worrying about. I'm more concerned with car jackings.
    M1911A1 and Chief1297 like this.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    When I started carrying, as a young LEO in 1984, incidents such as the University of Texas tower, and the Newhall massacre, were considerations. There have been plenty of incidents since then, to validate my level of concern. So, no, the recent El Paso and Ohio incidents have not caused me to reconsider anything.

Edited to add: I have long been cognizant of the danger to being trampled to death, in the stampede of fleeing people. Running away is something to be considered, especially now that that I am retired, older, slower, and with no “duty to respond,” but fleeing is not, necessarily, a best practice.
    M1911A1 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Rexster's Avatar
    Regarding the risk level of Wal-Marts, and similar mega-stores, I have always considered them to be hot spots for violent crime, relative to the areas in which they are located.

Quote Originally Posted by Militant View Post
    I've NEVER understood this mindset to be humbly honest. Never! The whole "purpose" of having a concealed carry permit (or open carry w/o permit etc.) in my book is to CARRY A GUN! I don't care if I'm making a "quick" run to Wal-Mart or some other grocery or department store, walking with my wife through our neighbourhood, going to the park, riding bikes, the movies, a restaurant, bowling, out to lunch or dinner or even to church; I ALWAY CARRY MY GUN....ALWAYS!!!

I live by the "ABC's" meaning; Always Be Carrying!
    When it comes to defending and protecting my life, I'M THE FIRST RESPONDER!
    Working at a company that does not allow any firearms on site, so no ccw.
    Stop in at a store on the way home, Walmart or others , but not carrying.

I suppose to carry would have to drive home, get you ccw then drive back to wherever you go.

Also during work day go off property for lunch or conference. Not an option.
    Really there are times when concealed carriers do not carry.

Nope, I'll be with Old Vet playing wakamole in the liquor section for the exit or the end, regardless.
    There is a solution but we are not Jedi... not yet.
    Doghandler
    We have deep thinkers and stinkers in this group that could come up with a solution...
    welder516
    Buck the donkey

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Sponsored Links