Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? - Page 12

Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

This is a discussion on Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by deadguy I explained this to a coworker in different terms just yesterday. It's like wearing your seat belt in your car. You ...

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree471Likes

Thread: Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

Quote Originally Posted by deadguy View Post
    I explained this to a coworker in different terms just yesterday.

It's like wearing your seat belt in your car. You may be going across the street, down the road 1 mile, or 500 miles. You put your seat belt on regardless. The problem is not how you drive or anything else you control while driving, but what the other driver may do, which is unpredictable. We drive defensively, and we should carry defensively.

The best part about this conversation is that his 18 year old son was sitting in the room listening.
    What if some people treated wearing seatbelts like they do carry, worn as perceived risk increases.

Carry example:
    Chance carry hierarchy based on location rather than unpredictable psychopathic criminal action.
    Trip to store for "milk" (beer) = pocket 380 (carry gun "just in case" - just in case somebody(s) try to kill me, 380 is acceptable)
    Into town/city further from home = 9mm IWB (carry gun "just in case" - just in case somebody(s) try to kill me, at least 9mm desired)
    "Indian Country" (they never leave, you go to them) = At least 9mm and spare mag - just in case in case somebody(s) try to kill me ...

2nd level was going to be yellow, but yellow doesn't show well enough, so that pinkish color.

Now apply that predictive ability to seatbelt use based on location rather than distracted, unpredictable other drivers:
    Trip to store for "milk" (beer) = No seat belt - drive car slow in case of head on collision with F150
    Into town/city further from home = Wear seat belt in case of head on collision with F150
    Highway = Wear seat belt and drive SUV in case of head on collision with F150

Surprise, surprise, most car wrecks happen within a few miles of home. Predictive ability is a bit elusive at times, apparently.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW4ME View Post
    What if some people treated wearing seatbelts like they do carry, worn as perceived risk increases.

Carry example:
    Chance carry hierarchy based on location rather than unpredictable psychopathic criminal action.
    Trip to store for "milk" (beer) = pocket 380 (carry gun "just in case" - just in case somebody(s) try to kill me, 380 is acceptable)
    Into town/city further from home = 9mm IWB (carry gun "just in case" - just in case somebody(s) try to kill me, at least 9mm desired)
    "Indian Country" (they never leave, you go to them) = At least 9mm and spare mag - just in case in case somebody(s) try to kill me ...

2nd level was going to be yellow, but yellow doesn't show well enough, so that pinkish color.

Now apply that predictive ability to seatbelt use based on location rather than distracted, unpredictable other drivers:
    Trip to store for "milk" (beer) = No seat belt - drive car slow in case of head on collision with F150
    Into town/city further from home = Wear seat belt in case of head on collision with F150
    Highway = Wear seat belt and drive SUV in case of head on collision with F150

Surprise, surprise, most car wrecks happen within a few miles of home. Predictive ability is a bit elusive at times, apparently.
    Yes...People who find a micro .380 acceptable for a trip to the store etc... But need a larger caliber with more rounds when going elsewhere...Must
    have a skill i have not acquired...The ability to predict when and where something may happen and the manner it may happen in.

Yes, changing our ways

The shootings n EP and Dayton have caused us to change our ways. This really hit home for us as my wife and I were both raised in El Paso. We have shopped at that Walmart. We both still have family there.

While we have both had our LTC for some time, we rarely carry though always have a firearm in each vehicle. That’s changing. We’re both carrying now. Sadly, we both have jobs that prohibit carrying at work.

Cheers!
    seeker_two and M1911A1 like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhusker95 View Post
    Yes...People who find a micro .380 acceptable for a trip to the store etc... But need a larger caliber with more rounds when going elsewhere...Must
    have a skill i have not acquired...The ability to predict when and where something may happen and the manner it may happen in.
    More than just human predictive ability, a resource:

Cornhusker95 likes this.
    I'm not inclined to disarm for a concert, game, (entertainment) and I ain't going on a plane or cruise.
    "Wouldn't want to or Nobody volunteer to" get shot by _____ is not indicative of quickly incapacitating.

Distinguished Member
    forester58 likes this.
    Charlie Co. 101st Assault Helicopter Battalion (Wings of the Eagle), 101st Airborne Division (Airmobile)
    Phu Bai, Vietnam 1971-72

Let it Snow....Great tune
    Sister likes this.

Never trade rounds....never trade anything...go direct and commit then dominate. That's just my philosophy i learned from being a Marine and a veteran Police Officer. Always take cover and asses the situation but when you go go hard and don't let up until the threat is stopped. That might sound too gung ho but there is validity to my point.
    Mike1956, Pappy35 and M1911A1 like this.
    If you can read this thank a teacher. If it is written in English thank a Marine.

It hasn't changed my carry pistol type, but it has made me always carry. If firearms are not allowed somewhere, I'll do my best to avoid those areas.
    M1911A1 likes this.
    "Fiel pero desdichado"
    Loyal but unfortunate.

family Motto of Winston Churchill

This shooting (and I suppose all the recent ones) have me getting ready to trade in my G43 for a Sig P365 only because of the extra capacity in the same size package.

Quote Originally Posted by OttoLoader View Post
    Working at a company that does not allow any firearms on site, so no ccw.
    Stop in at a store on the way home, Walmart or others , but not carrying.

I suppose to carry would have to drive home, get you ccw then drive back to wherever you go.

Also during work day go off property for lunch or conference. Not an option.
    Really there are times when concealed carriers do not carry.
    If you practice your skills as often as possible--for instance dry-firing daily, and live-firing every weekend--you could very well defend yourself with a pistol that would be completely undetectable by anything short of a metal-detecting wand or portal.
    The pistol would be pocket-carry size, and it would reside in your pocket within a holster which definitely conceals the gun's shape and mass. Its reload would be in a balancing pocket, in a similar container.

How do I know this? Because that's how I carried a .45 ACP pocket pistol for a little longer than 20 years. And that's how my wife carries her .380 ACP pocket pistol even today.

All it takes is high-quality, small weaponry, and lots and lots of practice.

...And remember: Concealed means concealed.
    Instymp likes this.
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    If you practice your skills as often as possible--for instance dry-firing daily, and live-firing every weekend--you could very well defend yourself with a pistol that would be completely undetectable by anything short of a metal-detecting wand or portal.
    The pistol would be pocket-carry size, and it would reside in your pocket within a holster which definitely conceals the gun's shape and mass. Its reload would be in a balancing pocket, in a similar container.

How do I know this? Because that's how I carried a .45 ACP pocket pistol for a little longer than 20 years. And that's how my wife carries her .380 ACP pocket pistol even today.

All it takes is high-quality, small weaponry, and lots and lots of practice.

...And remember: Concealed means concealed.
    It is not advisable to do that at a federal protected zone of a nuclear power plant.

Quote Originally Posted by OttoLoader View Post
    It is not advisable to do that at a federal protected zone of a nuclear power plant.
    OK, so if that's the case, while you're at work, leave your protective weapon locked into a pistol "vault" in your parked car.
    Or do you walk to work, or take public transportation?
    Steve
    Retired Leathersmith and Practical Shooter

"Qui desiderat pacem, pręparet bellum."

No I carry my Sig 938 and reciently picked up a Springfield 911 9mm I carry an extra 7rd mag.
    Coltfan1 likes this.
    Max
    USCG Ret. Code Enforcement Officer, Small Arms Instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by M1911A1 View Post
    OK, so if that's the case, while you're at work, leave your protective weapon locked into a pistol "vault" in your parked car.
    Or do you walk to work, or take public transportation?
    Cannot bring firearms on site. Security can search all vehicles.

Not all employment have this level of security. Just providing example of employment that limits carry or possession.

Quote Originally Posted by mamaxwell View Post
    No I carry my Sig 938 and reciently picked up a Springfield 911 9mm I carry an extra 7rd mag.
    Now I'm envious. How do the 938 and 911 compare?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Sponsored Links