Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? - Page 13

Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

This is a discussion on Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Coltfan1 Originally Posted by mamaxwell No I carry my Sig 938 and reciently picked up a Springfield 911 9mm I carry an ...

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13
Like Tree471Likes

Thread: Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

Quote Originally Posted by Coltfan1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaxwell View Post
    No I carry my Sig 938 and reciently picked up a Springfield 911 9mm I carry an extra 7rd mag.
    Now I'm envious. How do the 938 and 911 compare?
    The Sig and the Springfield are almost exact copies of each other. Mags are interchangable and Springfield mags are $20 cheaper. Compairing the two the Springfield is much more accurate than the sig.
    Coltfan1 likes this.
    Max
    USCG Ret. Code Enforcement Officer, Small Arms Instructor.

It hasn't changed my carry habits at all. If I'm dressed, there is at least a couple weapons on me. Credit card knife. Locking spring assisted folder. S&W M&P 2.0 40c. Owb or iwb, open or concealed. At work, from when I step out of the truck, until I get in at the end of the day, the gun and extra mag is in a gun "safe/vault". The knives stay on me. The only time I go anywhere without carrying at all is if I'm headed on base. If I have to make that trip, its straight to and straight back. 1 stop sign and 3 stoplights between my house and the gate. 1 left out of the neighborhood, and a right to hit the front gate. Even though I know I shouldn't, I treat the VA similar to going to work. Except gun and folder are in the safe. No different considerations at all. If something goes down at work, well, I have options. I know where every paper cutter at work is. I know the blades on those come off stupidly easy, if I dont have the option to run to the truck and back. If I do have the option, I'll run and grab my gun and go hunt me a nutjob. Either way, I dont think I can just idly stand by. Even though my army training is 30 years behind me, I do have a significant amount of military experience to draw on. I may not have a duty to act, since I'm not LE, however, I am wired to act, thanks to that military training. The only big exception to any of this, is if the wife or kids are with me. At that point, I will get them into as relatively safe of a place as I can, before I do anything else.

Theres a lot of good points listed. It might pop up that I should carry at work. I cannot carry at work without taking a very large chance of getting fired, since if anyone ever sees it, that is what will happen. I work at a call center. State law sees my vehicle as an extension of my house, so I'm safe to leave the gun there, even on company property. Once I set foot inside the building, they are allowed to search me or my bag, consent to that was part of the wonderful paperwork of getting hired. I seriously doubt the security guards would search me, I talk with over half of them on a regular basis about hunting or guns. But the possibility is there.

The biggest considerations I've made, have been from thingfgs I've learned by being part of this forum. I had my head in the sand for a very long time, because for 20+ years, I lived and worked on base. From all you guys and girls, I learned about things like hard corners, soft targets, cover, etc. Things I hadn't thought about since I got out of the army in 91. And even then, hard corners weren't exactly something I worried about, being the 60 gunner for the advance party in a combat engineer command. Cover and cover fire were my prerogatives.

Somebody mentioned pie plate accuracy. I'm not the 3 yard guy. I've aged considerably since I qualified with a 1911 in 88. Up until I started carrying, I hadn't fired a handgun since then. I shake a bit now (I think that might be me just that out of practice and holding g too tight). I found I'm pie plate at about 15 yards, and working to push that back out to 25. But, im confident enough in my accuracy to engage a shooter if I have to.
    1987-1991 Army Guard/Regular Army
    1996-2014 Navy- Retired

Short answer, no. I'm not changing my life for something that is statistically less likely to happen to me than getting hit by lightning. Although apparently because I live in Colorado I'm statistically more likely to get hit by lightning than most of the rest of the country.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13

Sponsored Links