Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? - Page 4

Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

This is a discussion on Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices? within the Defensive Carry Guns forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by giz5792 Nope. SIG P229 in .40 S&W with 2 extra mags. If I'm by myself out and about, I will help people ...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Like Tree471Likes

Thread: Do active shooter incident like El Paso make you reconsider your CCW choices?

Quote Originally Posted by giz5792 View Post
    Nope. SIG P229 in .40 S&W with 2 extra mags. If I'm by myself out and about, I will help people get to safety, but if my wife is with, because of her disability, I may find myself getting her to cover and having the gun drawn and ready to use. I hope it never has to come to that, but I know what I am capable of doing with this gun and train with it often.
    Same here, If Im with my one son who has Cerebral palsy (CP) I will find the closest cover and be at the ready to engage with extreme violence. I usually just have one firearm but recently have been trying to get into the habit of an extra magazine on me as well. And I do feel pretty confident with my shooting skill to make quality shots on target.
    10thmtn and twotrips like this.

No. If but if I were going to reconsider anything, it would be the need to start carrying a rifle instead of a pistol.
    kerberos likes this.
    We get the government we deserve.

I try to carry my G26 everywhere these days (I'm trying to transition to 9mm after EDCing a G27 for 21 years....but the .40 demons are strong in me). I can shoot that G26 as accurately or more accurately, and faster, than any other handgun I have, including my G19. So in lieu of my rifle, that's about as good as it gets for me. In part, I carry that G26 with active shooters in mind, instead of just carrying my LCR (off duty, at least).

But, I sometimes, I still find myself with just my LCR !
    Mike1956, forester58 and OD* like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsteve113 View Post
    I try to carry my G26 everywhere these days (I'm trying to transition to 9mm after EDCing a G27 for 21 years....but the .40 demons are strong in me). I can shoot that G26 as accurately or more accurately, and faster, than any other handgun I have, including my G19. So in lieu of my rifle, that's about as good as it gets for me. In part, I carry that G26 with active shooters in mind, instead of just carrying my LCR (off duty, at least).

But, I sometimes, I still find myself with just my LCR !
    I started carrying 9mm about the same time I started with gun schools. Before that, I carried a .45. All these years later, I'm back to .45. Ammo costs more, it's heavier and doesn't hold as many rounds as 9mm, to all of which I say, so what? I like .45.
    forester58, OD*, Pete63 and 7 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Rephrase it a bit. Do mass shootings make you more inclined to actually carry a gun full-time, if at all?

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but clearly, not many are carrying at any given time currently.
    I carry everyday, all day. Otherwise, what's the point ?
    Mike1956, OD*, Pete63 and 4 others like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Sometimes a Pico in the pocket is all I can pull off with the NPE I may find myself in. Mass shootings do not change that fact.
    I would rather carry my 1911 or HK and do when I can and still keep the Pico in a left hand pocket. I don't carry a 380 because its easy or convenient. I carry one because its all I can for maximum concealment when that is the highest priority for the day.

Distinguished Member Array Scouse's Avatar
    Just finished Breakfast with my Wife. Back upstairs to my LapTop. Track pants, slippers (old Guy) a shirt one of my Instructors bought me, 50 years ago. Name of the Company, legend Chief Instructor on it.
    Left pocket, iPhone. Right my new Glock 43X. Just 11 rounds. Off out later, extra mag. 21 total.

A couple of years ago, My Wife in Publix, my local one, Dr Phillips Orlando. Me reading Libary book in Security Marked Jeep. In the parking lot. "Two youths following me about, no baskets, no cart" Call me when you are in the lineup, I will be parked in the overhang, facing away. When the door opens, scoot out, keep going.

She was well clear when the two Hood Rats came out. No weapons possible, pants below their backsides. One watching their ride, one saw me. Shirt undone focused on them. They took off across the parking lot, to the Street.
    Talked to the 20-year-old Manager. Hu? Right. At that time, Glock 19 4th gen. Spare G17 mag.
    You can never switch off, never.

If I had to shoot, both or one of them. I would have had a good reason. Having taken a couple of Nitro pills. Para medics would snatch me off. My wife would do what she had to do, smart Lady.

The main lesson we all have gotten from ElPaso. Carry always.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by forester58 View Post
    Sometimes a Pico in the pocket is all I can pull off with the NPE I may find myself in. Mass shootings do not change that fact.
    I would rather carry my 1911 or HK and do when I can and still keep the Pico in a left hand pocket. I don't carry a 380 because its easy or convenient. I carry one because its all I can for maximum concealment when that is the highest priority for the day.
    Agreed. Sometimes you simply CAN NOT print. My LCP is my answer but there are other weapons for that situation.
    Wavygravy, 10thmtn and jstert like this.
    NRA Life Member - Member GA Carry Organization

Distinguished Member Array dennis40x's Avatar
    I practice avoidance of stupid people, places and things like a religion. In case there is a failure of avoidance as in then, when and what there is the EDC option which we hope never occurs but under all things possible it may be necessary.

I don't have to reconsider my choice, I carry a .40 shield and two extra mags

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And when it's cold out and I can wear some heavy clothing to conceal it better I carry my Beretta so I have some extra mag capacity

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rephrase it a bit. Do mass shootings make you more inclined to actually carry a gun full-time, if at all?

Not aimed at anyone in particular, but clearly, not many are carrying at any given time currently.
    What I carry, I've worked as to what works best for me over the past few years. It's not the threat of active shooters that motivates me most, it's the local crime threat in the community where I live and work. I have all the licenses, and carry pretty much the same weapon that the local cops and deputies do. If it's good enough for them, it's worked okay for me as well.

Regardless of what handgun you have or how much ammo you carry, if you have to shoot it out with a guy with a semi-auto rifle and body armor, the odds are not in your favor.

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck808 View Post
    Regardless of what handgun you have or how much ammo you carry, if you have to shoot it out with a guy with a semi-auto rifle and body armor, the odds are not in your favor.
    If I can get my muzzle aligned to his exposed area before he can do the same with me, I like my chances...

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Red View Post
    And now that we have a second mass shooting in Dayton just hours after the massacre in El Paso, my answer is still no. Whatever handgun I choose to carry wouldn't be sufficient to go up against an AR or AK wielded by a nutcase hellbent on mass murder.

I carry a 38 snub to protect myself and those with me.

I will not live my life in fear of these psychos. If involved in such an incident, my response would be to avoid, not to confront.
    ​Same here!!!!!
    Texas Red likes this.
    David
    Only two defining forces have ever died for you.....
    1. Jesus Christ.
    2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine, and Coast Guardsman.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom!

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links